Life in these United States...

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

LD100

Life in these United States...

Post by LD100 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:58 am

According to Billboard...
Best Buy has just told music suppliers that it will pull CDs from its stores come July 1. At one point, Best Buy was the most powerful music merchandiser in the U.S., but nowadays it's a shadow of its former self, with a reduced and shoddy offering of CDs. Sources suggest that the company's CD business is nowadays only generating about $40 million annually. While it says it's planning to pull out CDs, Best Buy will continue to carry vinyl for the next two years, keeping a commitment it made to vendors. The vinyl will now be merchandised with the turntables, sources suggest.
I guess keeping my 1978 LP12 up and running was a good idea! xss03
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Scooter

Re: Life in these United States...

Post by Scooter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:29 am

LD100 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:58 am
According to Billboard...
Best Buy has just told music suppliers that it will pull CDs from its stores come July 1. At one point, Best Buy was the most powerful music merchandiser in the U.S., but nowadays it's a shadow of its former self, with a reduced and shoddy offering of CDs. Sources suggest that the company's CD business is nowadays only generating about $40 million annually. While it says it's planning to pull out CDs, Best Buy will continue to carry vinyl for the next two years, keeping a commitment it made to vendors. The vinyl will now be merchandised with the turntables, sources suggest.
I guess keeping my 1978 LP12 up and running was a good idea! xss03

Last time I was in New York I struggled to find a CD store. Last time (three years ago) I was in the US I was talking to a guy in Banana records in St Petersburg (brilliant store) and he thought that downloading would take over from CD sales as CD sales killed off vinyl sales for a good few years. It’s good that vinyl sales are still going to be supported and it will be interesting to see where CD sells head. I rarely buy CD’s now. I would say 95% of music I buy is now high res downloads. In fact I would say that high res downloads is now the norm for myself. Most CD’s I buy are usually from an artist own website or their stand at a gig.
"Never has so much been lost by so many, to satisfy so few"

Scooter

Re: Life in these United States...

Post by Scooter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:43 pm

Interestingly I've just had an email from Technics to say their high res download site is closing. So one bites the dust. They were expensive so maybe that's what has killed them.
"Never has so much been lost by so many, to satisfy so few"

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer