Trip to Leicester

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

On the vinyl

Trip to Leicester

Post by On the vinyl » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:55 am

It's been a couple of weeks now since my latest journey to cymbiosis and as always it was a pleasurable experience.
As I get very little time off it works very well as I get to indulge and my wife and I get to spend some time together.
Anyhow on this occasion Peter fitted a radikal and kore to the lp12, something I had been deliberating for a while,
Well having listened to quite a bit of music since, I can honestly say it's a game changer and all that I had been told beforehand is true.
Difficult to put in to words as I'm still getting to grips and one doesn't want to use all the old clichés but they are true.
Many thanks to Peter and the team, still endorsing they are the cream of the hifi world :smt023
Only one problem. What cartridge would be a perfect match :smt017
Lp12,Ittok, radikal, kore, at oc9.
Nap250,Nac82,High cap plus other Naim black and olive.
Tomorrow we enter the town of my birth, I want to be ready.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Re: Trip to Leicester

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:27 am

On the vinyl wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:55 am
Only one problem. What cartridge would be a perfect match :smt017

The one in the range thats just above the one you have bought :smt005

I had Dynavectors 20 and then XX2 in my Ittok (XX2 is now in my EKOS) and they are cracking carts. If you have the cash the XX @ £1250ish is the one to go for IMHO

... but just enjoy for now, let the upgrades (and Peters immense skill) do their work and think of a new Cart later.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

On the vinyl

Post by On the vinyl » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:41 am

Wise words indeed James
That's exactly what I'm going to do, just thought I could get a general view on what folks thought.
I generally have to work hard for extravagant things like hifi so I like to get the best bang for buck so to speak and to be honest that's also where Peter excels, just for the record he also spoke about the dyna's.
Thanks for your input
Mike

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:50 am

Hi Mike,
Great foundation for fun there I got my Radikal and Kore at the same time too.
The Radikal really is a no brainer as it brings all the benefits of a much more sophisticated and straightforward engineering approach to a new age.
I've always had a soft spot for AT carts as I've had a few back in the day but none so modern as the OC9 but I do know it's very revealing if not slightly on the bright side of neutral. :shock:
Kore is a mass bargain it does similar to the the Radikal in terms of time lapse engineering.
The only problem with getting a Kore made me want a Keel even more. :oops:
Cartridge wise is a very personal choice and while the OC9 is quite a pricey contender to match the performance and information retrieval possibilities now it looks like a jump in cost to around double the AT price " gulp "
In this middleweight bout IMO the main contenders are. xss32
Dynavector DVXX2
And
Lyra Delos
I've narrowed it down to these two by recent experience of other carts at the price.
Dynavector is slightly older school design wise having a boxed in body and psychologically give the impression of robustness and finish.
The newer thinking is variations of the Lyra way naked cart with no body advantages being a doddle to cue and clean and also the perceived boxiness of the sound has been removed.
But it's a very personal choice and one I've whittled down from a big possible list and I have taken the plunge so it's not as if I'm finding it easy spending someone else's dosh.
Hope this helps. :smt017
I do go on eh :oops:
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

On the vinyl

Post by On the vinyl » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:37 am

Hi Jim
Thanks for that
I agree with you regards the oc9, can be a little harsh top end but at its level there's little to touch it in its ability to make music, I just think that it's working with illustrious company. As I said earlier I will stay with what I have for a while as I like to hear all the changes and what they bring to the party. But it will happen :smt036
Always wondered about the closed in or open designs and what they bring sonically, is it just asthetics and its what's inside that counts?
I guess those carts will work with my current mc inputs in the 82 or do I need to make changes in that dept?
Cheers Jim
Mike

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:09 pm

If you get a Dynavector (except the high output ones) Lyra, or LINN Moving Coil Cartridge you will need to replace the Phono Stage boards with MC ones. (~£100 on ePay) or get a stand alone phono stage which then plugs into a line input of your 52
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

On the vinyl

Post by On the vinyl » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:27 pm

Already using mc phono boards in the 82 for the oc9 so one assumes I am good to go if a dynavector is utilised?
Sounds like it's just the one outlay next time around, well that is until Jim mentioned the keel :smt018
Mike

On the vinyl

Post by On the vinyl » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:34 pm

That reminds me Jim
What direction did you go down?

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Now why did I think the OC9 was MM? :smt017

Yup, you are good to go.

If you were talking to CJ, Peter goes to him. If you are talking to me, I drive down the A46 (well, move between various parking spots on the A46 :roll: )
James

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:35 pm

I used to have a Delos and found it more enjoyable than the XX when I checked out both at Cymbiosis. You will need to audition both as cart choice is probably the most individual of all vinyl replay bits of kit.

Again, IMHO, the Linn Krystal cart is sonically superior to both the Delos and XX but some have failed after their warranty period has finished ........including my first one ........ :roll:

The failures have not been numerous but just telling it as it is. I liked the Krystal so much that got another one. It is 15 months old now and so far so good. It sounds superb .......... :smt020
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer