Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

vincent

Re: Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Post by vincent » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:51 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:25 am
If people like its cosmetics then buy what one likes ... Maybe there's more money in fashion these days. :roll:

I can assure you Jim that cosmetics will play very little if any part in my evaluation. The plinth will have to be significantly better and more musical (i.e. not just 'different') to persuade me to splash the credit. I shall attempt to ignore positive views of others' whose opinions I respect. Fashion bullshit detector will be deployed to maximum.

I'll have a long w/e to decide whether I like it. A/B comparison of the decks will be easy if I think this necessary.

Way back when LINN first commissioned the all in one machined plinth " they built 3 ". It was conclusively decided easily that this concept did nothing either than cosmetically appeal and the costs in production to retail sales prices was not economically viable.
You may know more than me, but I'm not sure of the reasons behind Linn's decision not to proceed with their aluminium prototype as an SE upgrade for the LP12. Maybe they thought it made no difference, or that it was different but not better, or that the improvement was marginal and not enough to justify the expense.

Also the Stiletto looks (sounds?) very different to the Linn prototype. And a lot has changed in the 12 years since the SE upgrades (machining processes, possible synergy with other more recent upgrades such as Exakt, etc.).
T4kzwjt.jpg

Everyone should buy what they like its their money and there is a product for everyone. :wink: 8) :smt023
Exaktamento :smt052 :smt020 :smt030
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vincent on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:08 pm

vincent wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:51 pm

Exaktamento :smt052 :smt020 :smt030

Thanks for your reply very interesting and diplomatically portrayed. :smt052
It's all subjective and is up to any individual to choose I just find these days to an extent that trends of what's in is taking a big chunk out of what's really important and it's not the first time that people look at what they've bought and realised it wasn't all that good just different and that was the " thing " at the time.
I'm glad I've avoided such choices and settled for what is the norm otherwise we will always be chasing rainbows and getting that sick nothing found eventuality. :roll:
There is no end to it but it's a case of not letting the tail wag the dog. :smt017
Only opinions and no harm meant. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

vincent

Post by vincent » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Mr Onion wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:48 pm

I hope you hate it as well, otherwise this kidney will have to go on eBay :roll:
If I have any doubts at all I won't commit. I'm expecting the Stiletto to sound initially 'impressive' - but that won't be enough unless it's also more musical. :smt020

One complication is Tranquility, which I am currently using, but which I've been led to believe does not work well with the Stiletto.

I'm not sure though how much this opinion has to do with TA and TP being competitors in 3rd party after-market for LP12 mods. And since I'm convinced of the benefits of the Tranq in 'balancing' the analogue and digital characteristics of my current Exakt system, I'm likely to want to try the Tranq in the Stiletto.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:14 pm

The internal form of the LINN Ali plinth is totally different to both the TP and Tangerine models. I suspect that may be the clincher.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:28 pm

Mr Onion wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:14 pm
The internal form of the LINN Ali plinth is totally different to both the TP and Tangerine models. I suspect that may be the clincher.

I do agree it's debatable call me a sceptic but I don't believe one can tell the difference between different woods never mind different metals.
I'm sure the comparison with such decks are more likely to have marginal setup differences other than it being the materials.
After all every cartridge doesn't sound exactly the same as the next one regardless of the "specification characteristics".
Enjoy what you like from when you bought it and stop comparing It'll only spoil the fun. :smt020 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 am

I don't recall if I mentioned this earlier in this thread - and I apologise if I did - but the real highlight for me of the day at Cymbiosis back in September was when I got eventually got the chance to listen in Peter’s system to my own deck after Peter had installed my then new Lyra Kleos SL.

I actually preferred listening to my own humble little Harban plinthed LP12 to listening to even the Stiletto equipped deck.

It might have been simply familiarity, it might have been the wonderful Aro and better cartridge or it might even have been the invisible superiority of the Tranquility on my deck and not on the others, but my Linn had and continues to have a beautiful blend of strengths that I happen to really really like 8)

So while I did thoroughly enjoy what the Stiletto brought, I strongly suspect that I would choose to buy (or rule out buying) a Javelin (or Javelin arm-top) before revisiting a possible plinth change - equipped with appropriate arm.
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

vincent

Post by vincent » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:11 am

Red Chris wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:03 am

I actually preferred listening to my own humble little Harban plinthed LP12 to listening to even the Stiletto equipped deck.

It might have been simply familiarity, it might have been the wonderful Aro and better cartridge or it might even have been the invisible superiority of the Tranquility on my deck and not on the others, but my Linn had and continues to have a beautiful blend of strengths that I happen to really really like 8)

Very interesting as usual Chris :smt036

I assume from the above that the Tranquility was not fitted to the Stiletto/Skorpion for the dem at Peter's (possibly for the incompatibility reasons in my earlier post)?

When the S/S arrives for home dem tomorrow, the only other difference between this and my own LP12 (fluted afromosia with Khan & tramp) will be the TP sKale and Tranquillity. Since I have no doubt whatsoever of the benefits of the Tranq in my system, it will be interesting to see what the S/S sounds like without it.

I'm expecting the S/S to be very impressive, but skeptical as to whether it will be more musical, or preserve as well the analogue character which marks the superiority of my current LP12 over digital sources. (All that metal, and harder coupling of the base to the wall shelf without the tramp's spongey feet).

We shall see :smt017

vincent

Post by vincent » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:58 pm

vincent wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:11 am

... but not just yet

Apparently when assembled the demo Urika II was not working properly, so the deck was pronounced unfit to travel :smt013 The UII has to go back to Linn (fault may be hardware or software) :smt017

So the dem unlikely to happen before NY ... on the plus side, big potential saving :smt020

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:05 pm

vincent wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:58 pm
vincent wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:11 am

... but not just yet

Apparently when assembled the demo Urika II was not working properly, so the deck was pronounced unfit to travel :smt013 The UII has to go back to Linn (fault may be hardware or software) :smt017

So the dem unlikely to happen before NY ... on the plus side, big potential saving :smt020

Like I said here.
Enjoy what is known and be careful what you wish for.
Coyote Jim @ Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto
It's a sign. :roll: 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"

vincent

Post by vincent » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:47 am

Coyote Jim wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Like I said here.
Enjoy what is known and be careful what you wish for.
Coyote Jim @ Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto
It's a sign. :roll: 8) :smt023

Wise words I'm sure. Meanwhile really enjoying this on the 'ol fruit box (would LP12 still be fruit box with metal plinth & base? :smt017 )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer