Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

vincent

Re: Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Post by vincent » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:45 pm

Photo shows upper 'half' of the Stratos with integrated top plate, incorporating the top four flutes. This sits on the bottom 'half' with the final flute (the join is invisible to the eye).

The two halves are locked together with 18 M4 bolts which go through drilled holes in the base. (Roger from Tiger Paw did explain why there are 18 bolts, but I don't recall the reasons :smt036 ).

Nice. :smt007

Steve Miller's 'The Joker' sounding fabulous, particularly the title track and the two live tracks ('Come On in My Kitchen', and 'Evil').

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:49 pm

Very interesting and great to see not otherwise shown pics.
I'm sure if I was in the market for a suit of armour then Stratos would be my choice.
It's the DNA. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

vincent

Post by vincent » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:14 pm

Having seen the two plinths in the 'flesh', I have to say I prefer the design of the Stratos to the Stiletto/Skorpion (which consists of a more conventional main frame, with separate base instead of the Trampolin).

The S/S is no less impressively engineered in many ways, but I'm not keen on being able to see the heads of the bolts on the underside of the Skorpion. Also the three point coupling (in place of Trampolin feet, which are used on the Stratos) made me feel uncomfortable for some reason. :smt017

Not a great picture but it shows how the M4 bolts are recessed and fit flush with the bottom half of the Stratos.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:25 pm

[quote=vincent post_id=67434 time=1548596743 user_id=599<snip>(Roger from Tiger Paw did explain why there are 18 bolts, but I don't recall the reasons :smt036 ).<snip>
[/quote]

Because if there were 19 bolts you would have one left over :lol:
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded)
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:19 pm

vincent wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:14 pm
Having seen the two plinths in the 'flesh', I have to say I prefer the design of the Stratos to the Stiletto/Skorpion (which consists of a more conventional main frame, with separate base instead of the Trampolin).

The S/S is no less impressively engineered in many ways, but I'm not keen on being able to see the heads of the bolts on the underside of the Skorpion. Also the three point coupling (in place of Trampolin feet, which are used on the Stratos) made me feel uncomfortable for some reason. :smt017

Not a great picture but it shows how the M4 bolts are recessed and fit flush with the bottom half of the Stratos.

So you will be playing plenty of heavy metal. :smt005
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:46 pm

At one time I was keen to have home dems of both the Tiger Paw and Tangerine Audio plinths but it seems to be slipping down my list as I continue to enjoy my deck as is. In fact a recent service of my Superline has put me in a position where I do not want to risk change or upset my front end which is really signing.

Coming round to how they look it appears I may be bucking a trend as I prefer the look of the Tangerine Audio.

Regards,

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

vincent

Post by vincent » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:25 pm

FangfossFlyer wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:46 pm
At one time I was keen to have home dems of both the Tiger Paw and Tangerine Audio plinths but it seems to be slipping down my list as I continue to enjoy my deck as is.

Carry on with what you are happy with! I was quite content with my wooden plinth. Exploring alternatives was an itch I had to scratch (probably as a result of having too much time on my hands post-retirement). :oops: Home dems are difficult and time consuming to arrange. And in this instance not free, if I decide not to go ahead (I've agreed with the dealer to pay cost of rebuilding my LP12 into its original plinth).
FangfossFlyer wrote:
In fact a recent service of my Superline has put me in a position where I do not want to risk change or upset my front end which is really signing.

Richard, what's your front end signing? I hope it has read the small print first. :lol:
FangfossFlyer wrote:
Coming round to how they look it appears I may be bucking a trend as I prefer the look of the Tangerine Audio.
TA is available smooth as well as fluted, which may be more to some tastes - I had a smooth one on home dem, which looked great. But the £2400 extra for the TA would be a lot to pay for aesthetic preference :smt018

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi Vincent,

Well spotted as I meant ‘singing’ and not ‘signing’ :oops:

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

vincent

Post by vincent » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:29 pm

Herewith my full review :smt031

I have been able to home dem the Stratos via a bespoke arrangement involving Roger (Tiger Paw proprietor) and Audio T in Brighton. Roger very kindly supplied the plinth for demonstration at no cost. I agreed with Audio T that I would pay for labour involved in rebuilding my LP12 with the original plinth, if I decided against buying after living with the Stratos for a week.

Stratos evaluation

In sum, I really like what the Stratos does for the LP12 in my Exakt Akubarik system. It improves the experience of listening to the best recordings/pressings in my collection by a significant margin. For example, Paul Simon (‘Graceland’), Robert Cray (‘False Accusations’), Agnes Obel (‘Citizen of Glass’), Malia and Boris Blank (‘Convergence’), Eleanor Friedberger (‘Rebound’), Crusaders (‘Rhapsody and Blues’), John Martyn (‘Piece by Piece’, ‘Grace and Danger’, ‘One World’), Miles Davis (‘Kind of Blue’), St Germain (’Tourist’), Grant Green (‘Idle Moments’), JJ Cale (‘Troubadour’), and UB40 (‘Signing Off’) are all unequivocally better, not just different.

So, ‘Citizen of Glass’ has always sounded great in my system, but the Stratos takes musical engagement to another level. On track 2 of side A (‘Familiar’) the timbre of the piano sounds just ‘right’ somehow (same throughout the album), and the male/female vocal harmony is stunning and completely beguiling. On side B (track 4 ‘Grasshopper’) the piano could be in the room (I’ve certainly not heard it quite like this before). Similarly with ‘Kind of Blue’, the piano, bass, sax and trumpet are beautifully rendered, with a kind of accuracy and realism I have not noticed before.

Compared to my Linn afromosia plinth, I would describe the Stratos as both authoritative and detailed, but also more effortless and natural. It presents a rock solid and three dimensional soundscape, with very precise location of instruments and vocals, and increased dynamics. Silences are somehow starker, and musical notes start and stop more quickly. I’ve no doubt that more information is being excavated from the grooves. (It’s difficult not to think that the increased precision and resolution are due to the turntable’s moving parts being held in a tighter grip - an irrelevant psychological consideration I have tried to ignore). I’m also hearing musical inflections not previously noticed (for example the delicate stroking of the snare drum with brushes on ‘Blue in Green’ from Miles Davis’s ’Kind of Blue’).

Of course these qualities are of no benefit if not associated with increased musical engagement and enjoyment, and this is what the Stratos delivers. There is no ‘downside’ in the sense of a reduction in the the LP12’s analogue character - the key feature that makes it superior IMO to even Hi-Res 24 bit source material via the KEDSM.

The Stratos won’t make a bad recording sound good, but I’ve played very few records that don’t sound better (though the degree of improvement is less with poorer recordings). The Stratos deals very well with thinner/brighter material (e.g. Suzanne Vega, ’Solitude Standing’, ‘Suzanne Vega’; The Christians, ‘Colour’), and even better with darker or murkier recordings where another layer of information is being retrieved from the record (Steely Dan, ‘Katy Lied’; Grateful Dead, ‘In the Dark’; Bob Dylan, ‘Oh Mercy’). Only a very few LPs have not been as good as I was expecting.

Stratos vs Stiletto/Skorpion xss29

Although I’ve auditioned both Stiletto/Skorpion and Stratos at home, the demonstration conditions were very different. The Stratos incorporated my own LP12 (including Tranquility and sKale) and was on loan for five days (more if I needed it). The S/S LP12 was a clone of my own deck (with Urika II and Kleos SL) but without the Tranquility and sKale, and had to be evaluated in less than a day.

As noted in posts above, my relatively disappointing experience of the S/S might have been due to a number of factors, most likely the absence of the Tranquility. In order to decide whether one plinth was better than the other, I would have to audition an S/S either incorporating my own LP12, or replicating my LP12 more exactly.

Conclusion

After five day’s listening, I’ve decided to keep the Tiger Paw Stratos. :smt020

At £2999 (less Khan trade-in) I think that it represents excellent v.f.m. in my system, given the scale of improvement with all types of music, from folk/country to blues and reggae. In truth it has been an easier decision than I was expecting. The Stratos is considerably less expensive than the Stiletto/Skorpion (£5,400). This has been a big factor in my deciding to end the journey here, rather than explore the possibility that the S/S with Tranquility might be better still!

Maybe Peter will settle the debate by hosting a six turntable shoot-out at Cymbiosis between: Linn Klimax LP12; Linn Klimax LP12 with Tranquility; TA Klimax LP12; TA Klimax LP12 with Tranquility; TP Klimax LP12; TP Klimax LP12 with Tranquility :smt037

I conclude by urging that we spare a thought for the dealers and third-party designers/manufacturers faced with marketing and demonstrating this type of equipment to such a relatively small group of potential customers. They/we wouldn't be doing it were it not for the love of music :smt023 :smt041

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:11 pm

Just when I thought my LP12 upgrading had finished. :roll:

Thanks for the review, great dealer (and TP) support.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded)
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer