LP12 behaviour

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

john & Jake the dog

LP12 behaviour

Post by john & Jake the dog » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi, how does your Linn behave on switch on until up to speed?
Fluted LP12 no base fitted. Majik subchassis, Cirkus bearing,Valhalla, Rega rb330, Goldring 2100. Elliot Sounds Phono pre. Marantz cd6006. Moth passive preamp. Three LK100s. Active Kabers (Scanspeak 2008 tweeters)

LD100

Re: LP12 behaviour

Post by LD100 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:19 am

It behaves fine...turn on, plater starts up, gains speed until ready to play.
Quite as a church mouse. :smt023

Please note I use 60 hz line frequency to run my 1978 motor.

Could you please be more specific as to what behavior you are inquiring about? :smt017
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:56 am

My experience is as follows.

'Red Button' :- Lots of 'torque steer' on the platter until the speed has stabilised

Valhalla/Hercules :- Slow to build speed so no 'torque steer'

Radikal:- Builds up speed quickly, no 'torque steer', then totally stable.

If you have speed 'hunting' its usually the sign that you need a new belt. To check remove the felt mat, turn the platter upside-down and start it running. The belt should hunt up and down the pulley a couple of times, then settle in the middle. If it continues to hunt, or settles anywhere but the middle then it needs a new belt and/or servicing.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:18 am

My first experience LP12 was bought new with Valhalla fitted and I've never got out of the habit of giving the platter a little help on startup as this was the recommended starting procedure at the time.
Things have moved on a bit since then but I do read about the most common up to speed problems.
Firstly the most obvious one is a slipping belt easily checked by putting the outer platter on upside down then watch what happens.
Sometimes a clean of the belt and the motor pulley can work wonders.
Secondly and a bit harder to determine is that the main bearing oil may be low or need changing this can cause excessive friction leading to slower start up.
Thirdly the worst scenario is either the motor has had its chips or reading your signature I see you are a Valhalla user and it might be the case that this is need of exchange/ replacement.
A dealer like CYMBIOSIS has these to hand for servicing purposes so might be worth your while giving your deck to the fettler for some deserved TLC.
Hope this helps. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

john & Jake the dog

Post by john & Jake the dog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:21 am

Hi, I was getting a lot of sideways and up and down movement on the armboard accompanied by a groaning, spring rubbers I presumed.
My belt drops and then centres on the pully fairly quickly.
When I removed the outer platter I felt and heard the springs relax and on replacing the platter it gets up to speed with only a little up and down movement of the armboard, much better.
There is still a slight groan as it gets up to speed.
I have a new belt fitted and it is a Valhalla supply.
Fluted LP12 no base fitted. Majik subchassis, Cirkus bearing,Valhalla, Rega rb330, Goldring 2100. Elliot Sounds Phono pre. Marantz cd6006. Moth passive preamp. Three LK100s. Active Kabers (Scanspeak 2008 tweeters)

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:30 am

If your deck has been fettled lately and all seems ok then it's the classic Valhalla start up procedure that needs employed.
It was always the case " and I still do it " old habits just before I press the button to start I give the platter a little push off then that's it.
All the sounds your hearing on platter removal and replacement are normal.
Make sure you have your new belt the right way round.
If you feel the belt with your lip it's obvious there is a rough and smooth side this machined that way and the smooth side goes to the hub and motor pulley.
There's lots of other " variations " on direction etc but make sure it's the right way round for starters.
Relax and spin those tunes now. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

john & Jake the dog

Post by john & Jake the dog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:52 am

Coyote Jim wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:30 am
If your deck has been fettled lately and all seems ok then it's the classic Valhalla start up procedure that needs employed.
It was always the case " and I still do it " old habits just before I press the button to start I give the platter a little push off then that's it.
All the sounds your hearing on platter removal and replacement are normal.
Make sure you have your new belt the right way round.
If you feel the belt with your lip it's obvious there is a rough and smooth side this machined that way and the smooth side goes to the hub and motor pulley.
There's lots of other " variations " on direction etc but make sure it's the right way round for starters.
Relax and spin those tunes now. 8) :smt023

Hi, I had the belt marked for me by Cymbiosis on purchase, just for inside though as I imagine directional issues would be hard to justify.
The deck has never sounded better and I'm now addicted to buying vinyl. 12 used albums bought whilst supposedly on holiday.

I'll try the push start method.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:20 am

Has the Vlahalla ever been serviced? It could be old and tired
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

john & Jake the dog

Post by john & Jake the dog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:06 pm

Mr Onion wrote: ↑
Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:20 am
Has the Vlahalla ever been serviced? It could be old and tired

Hi, the Valhalla looks to have had the standard mod applied to it but I have 3 new main caps to go in but I'm reluctant to take it apart just yet.
I'll fit them when I have my aluminium armboard ready to fit.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer