LP12 oil check

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Gregg A.

LP12 oil check

Post by Gregg A. » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:12 pm

I’m interested to know how often do board members check/add oil to their LP12 main bearing?

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: LP12 oil check

Post by Coyote Jim » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:27 pm

An interesting subject not often discussed.
In my deck current state Cirkus etc.
Occasionally perhaps about once a month I lift up my inner hub as to quench or flood the running spot and about every six months I lift my inner hub almost out but not quite and as long as there is an obvious ring of oil on the shaft I gently lower it back in to settle.
I've only ever changed the oil when major upgrades have been done and the deck has been inverted in the jig. :shock:
There shouldn't be any loss of oil in running it's just when the spindle is removed for transporting the deck the evidence oil on the spindle should get wiped off and the sheath slipped on.
Old pre Cirkus bearings I had one and it was evidently leaking as there was a nice black splash mark on my old baseboard then Tramp1.
Different construction design with Cirkus shouldn't leak ever unless the spindle wears right through. :oops:
We often hear of stiction in bearings this is usually where a deck has been badly stored and the oil has emulsified due to extreme temperature or dampness or the spindle has become contaminated due to sloppy handling.
In a domestic environment there should never be these sort of extremes and as I often laugh when I read about dynamic balancing of platters :smt005
They never spin that fast to wobble not even at 78. :wink:
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:40 pm

When ever Peter services it.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Gregg A.

Post by Gregg A. » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:16 pm

Thanks Guys for your answers and for putting my mind at ease! :roll:
I just started to wonder if I should add a drop once in a while, but I guess there’s no reason for that.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer