The New Tiger Paw Turntable Wall Shelf.

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

apye

Re: The New Tiger Paw Turntable Wall Shelf.

Post by apye » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:57 pm

Jazz Club wrote:Andy,
Did you try your glass balls and cups today?
Yes Stu, posted pics in System Pictures.
Initial thoughts are there is an improvement but not as big as when I added them to the Quadraspire shelf.
This maybe because the Tiger Paw Vulkan is a better shelf?
More listening required but it sounded good tonight! :smt020
LP12/Ekos2/sKale/Krystal/Radikal/Keel/Tranquility, TP Vulkan, Naim CD5X, Naim 82/SC2/250 on Walnut Isoblue, Tellurium Q Black cables into Audiovector M3 Avantgarde Arreté Speakers.

Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:08 am

Jazz Club wrote:These are the best two on the market for black boxes plinths and most makes of wall shelf and racks touch up.
Excellent. Thanks!
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Akurate EDSM, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:13 pm

Pediatrik wrote:
Jazz Club wrote:These are the best two on the market for black boxes plinths and most makes of wall shelf and racks touch up.
Excellent. Thanks!
Did you see my post above?

Red Rooster

Post by Red Rooster » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi all,

Been living with my shelf for a few weeks now. Finally added some Naim glass, cups & balls to it and must say I am very pleased with the overall sound. I don't believe I have heard my LP12 ever sounding better. Noticeable improvement in deep base, low level detail and soundstage. Surprised me really as previously the Naim stuff did nothing to improve the LP12 when it was on a Half Decent Wall shelf and nothing much to improve when it was atop Isoblue shelves where the rest on my kit is.

Have to say the basic sound of the shelf is excellent and easily liveable with. Great build and design. Installation took a while as I have plasterboard walls on breeze block. Roger is going to update his installation guide methinks based on my feedback to him.

I have the cups/balls in the Naim template position for Fraim and I am using the thicker shelf and four spikes on the Vulkan.

Will keep listening for a few weeks now to avoid the Emperors new clothes syndrome and ensure the change is not just a hi-fi thing. ( I do not like quoting PRAT and following the tune much and neither does Mrs Rooster)

Kind Regards

RR
LP12 Aro Keel Urika DVXX2 Klimax Radikal KDS3 Klimax Kontrol Klimax Solos Kudos C30

apye

Post by apye » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:51 pm

Red Rooster wrote: I have the cups/balls in the Naim template position for Fraim and I am using the thicker shelf and four spikes on the Vulkan.

RR
Hi RR,

I found this to be the best configuration with my Vulkan and LP12 as well.

Enjoy!! :smt020 :smt023

Andy.
LP12/Ekos2/sKale/Krystal/Radikal/Keel/Tranquility, TP Vulkan, Naim CD5X, Naim 82/SC2/250 on Walnut Isoblue, Tellurium Q Black cables into Audiovector M3 Avantgarde Arreté Speakers.

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:09 pm

Red Rooster wrote:Hi all,

Been living with my shelf for a few weeks now. Finally added some Naim glass, cups & balls to it and must say I am very pleased with the overall sound. I don't believe I have heard my LP12 ever sounding better. Noticeable improvement in deep base, low level detail and soundstage. Surprised me really as previously the Naim stuff did nothing to improve the LP12 when it was on a Half Decent Wall shelf and nothing much to improve when it was atop Isoblue shelves where the rest on my kit is.

Have to say the basic sound of the shelf is excellent and easily liveable with. Great build and design. Installation took a while as I have plasterboard walls on breeze block. Roger is going to update his installation guide methinks based on my feedback to him.

I have the cups/balls in the Naim template position for Fraim and I am using the thicker shelf and four spikes on the Vulkan.

Will keep listening for a few weeks now to avoid the Emperors new clothes syndrome and ensure the change is not just a hi-fi thing. ( I do not like quoting PRAT and following the tune much and neither does Mrs Rooster)

Kind Regards

RR
Id be really pleased if you'd tell us how you fitted the Vulkan to a plasterboard/breeze block wall as I have the same (with a small gap between separated, I assume, by batons). As I might like to buy one this Friday when I make a day trip to Rearsby, I'd be really pleased if you could post your tips this week so that I can decide if it's something I really want to do. For various reasons, it could inform a decision about Chord SSA to DIN option too!

Red Rooster

Post by Red Rooster » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:15 am

Hi,

In summary, with plasterboard there is a gap of some 15mm behind the plasterboard before the breeze block. So you have about 15mm plasterboard, gap then breeze block.If you use the supplied fixings on their own, the drill/fixing can't grip into the breeze block with enough purchase.

f you try to use the spring winged fixings for use with dry wall linings , this won't work either. the fixings are 5mm shafts and you need a 12 mm drill to create enough space to insert. And you need enough length to inset the fixing so it can spring open and then when you do you have a 5mm shaft in a 14 mm hole.

So, drill a 12mm hole deep enough so it goes through the plaster board, gap and enough into the breeze block to enable the springs to open. BEFORE you insert you fixings, cut a 15mm length off the supplied fixing sleeve and add it to the shaft of the fixing so your 5mm shaft has support in the hole. Also add an extra washer before the rubber ring to ensue better coupling.

Well worth the effort. Roger at Tiger Paw has my comments as do the Cymbiosis guys. Any problems and they can contact me.

Happy fixing, its worth it.

RR
LP12 Aro Keel Urika DVXX2 Klimax Radikal KDS3 Klimax Kontrol Klimax Solos Kudos C30

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:47 am

The first house we purchased had 'dot and dab' fixed plaster board on the breeze block walls. You had better odds of winning the Lottery than getting stuff the stay up in that house. Absolute nightmare.
Well Keeled :smt020

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:01 am

Red Rooster wrote:Hi,

In summary, with plasterboard there is a gap of some 15mm behind the plasterboard before the breeze block. So you have about 15mm plasterboard, gap then breeze block.If you use the supplied fixings on their own, the drill/fixing can't grip into the breeze block with enough purchase.

f you try to use the spring winged fixings for use with dry wall linings , this won't work either. the fixings are 5mm shafts and you need a 12 mm drill to create enough space to insert. And you need enough length to inset the fixing so it can spring open and then when you do you have a 5mm shaft in a 14 mm hole.

So, drill a 12mm hole deep enough so it goes through the plaster board, gap and enough into the breeze block to enable the springs to open. BEFORE you insert you fixings, cut a 15mm length off the supplied fixing sleeve and add it to the shaft of the fixing so your 5mm shaft has support in the hole. Also add an extra washer before the rubber ring to ensue better coupling.

Well worth the effort. Roger at Tiger Paw has my comments as do the Cymbiosis guys. Any problems and they can contact me.

Happy fixing, its worth it.

RR
Thanks for that, Rooster. I'm still concerned about the moment on the plasterboard. I realise that similar approaches are often used in fitting kitchen units, but owing to the relative dimensions, that's more of a shear load than moment. I will discuss with Peter when I'm in Rearsby. Thanks for your reply.

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:04 am

shellspeed wrote:The first house we purchased had 'dot and dab' fixed plaster board on the breeze block walls. You had better odds of winning the Lottery than getting stuff the stay up in that house. Absolute nightmare.
Absolutely! And that's my worry.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer