The West Wing

The magic moving image

Moderator: The Kurators

pjdowns

The West Wing

Post by pjdowns » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:53 pm

Oldie but goodie, how many of you have seen The West Wing?

Written and Produced by Aaron Sorkin.

Wifey and I watch it on a yearly basis and I'd still say it is my favourite television series.

MHmusic
Full Member
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: The West Wing

Post by MHmusic » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:05 pm

Pretty awesome TBH. We watched while living in NYC and if helped us understand some of what was going on in politics over there. That will make a lot of people snigger I am sure because it is TV but like all TV as long as you don't take it literally it works as a useful guide :)

shellspeed
Full Member
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:03 am

Re: The West Wing

Post by shellspeed » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:28 am

We box set binged on the first 4 seasons then got a bit bored of US political stuff until House of Cards come out on Netflix with Kevin Spacey. Now thats a show with balls! :smt023
Well Keeled :smt020

pjdowns

Re: The West Wing

Post by pjdowns » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:16 pm

shellspeed wrote:We box set binged on the first 4 seasons then got a bit bored of US political stuff until House of Cards come out on Netflix with Kevin Spacey. Now thats a show with balls! :smt023
Aha Aaron Sorkin left after series 4 and it certainly went down hill beyond that point (although I still like it personally) so you probably bowed out at the right time.

I agree that House of Cards has balls and I am a fan of Kevin Spacey so I was really pleased to see him starring in it :)

Another good political centred series is Scandal, it's more focuses on relationships inside or close to the White House but it's still rather good :)

MHmusic
Full Member
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: The West Wing

Post by MHmusic » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:36 pm

pjdowns wrote:
shellspeed wrote:We box set binged on the first 4 seasons then got a bit bored of US political stuff until House of Cards come out on Netflix with Kevin Spacey. Now thats a show with balls! :smt023
Aha Aaron Sorkin left after series 4 and it certainly went down hill beyond that point (although I still like it personally) so you probably bowed out at the right time.

I agree that House of Cards has balls and I am a fan of Kevin Spacey so I was really pleased to see him starring in it :)

Another good political centred series is Scandal, it's more focuses on relationships inside or close to the White House but it's still rather good :)
Yeah we watch Scandal and Madam Secretary. Obviously neither are close to being documentary like images of what goes on but it does provoke you think about how ridiculously impossible the jobs of President and PM are. Divide the issues by 10 and it would still be your worst mightmare. It also makes you realise that our expectations of these people are completely unreal.

User avatar
Red Chris
Full Member
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:39 pm
Location: Europe

Re: The West Wing

Post by Red Chris » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:03 pm

I like The West Wing - it did blip but was still good.

I think most US series fall off in quality around series 4. Some get it back but others don't

I liked Scandal until the current series :roll:
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

pjdowns

Re: The West Wing

Post by pjdowns » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:43 pm

Red Chris wrote:I like The West Wing - it did blip but was still good.

I think most US series fall off in quality around series 4. Some get it back but others don't

I liked Scandal until the current series :roll:
I'd agree, House M.D. was great for the first few series but then lost the plot.

Madam Secretary is pretty good, has had some lacklustre moment but I look forward to seeing it.

shellspeed
Full Member
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:03 am

Re: The West Wing

Post by shellspeed » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:31 pm

My other half watches Madam Secretary but it never grabbed me. The good wife is also an excellent watch although the political side is a bit more down the tree to start with a least.
Well Keeled :smt020

pjdowns

Re: The West Wing

Post by pjdowns » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:57 pm

shellspeed wrote:The good wife is also an excellent watch although the political side is a bit more down the tree to start with a least.
Yes the Good Wife is also rather good although it has just finished :( apparently they'll be a spin off so that could be interesting.

User avatar
Red Chris
Full Member
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:39 pm
Location: Europe

Re: The West Wing

Post by Red Chris » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:40 am

shellspeed wrote:My other half watches Madam Secretary but it never grabbed me. The good wife is also an excellent watch although the political side is a bit more down the tree to start with a least.
Agreed.

One that have been watching recently is The Catch - a little formulaic, but John Simm makes it for me :smt023 - he grew up near me (although a little younger) and is a Manchester United supporter 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer