Interesting Programme on BBC4

The magic moving image

Moderator: The Kurators

BevC

Interesting Programme on BBC4

Post by BevC » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:58 pm

Called The Science of Pop an evolutionary biologist tries to figure out how to make a hit record using algorithms. He managed to recruit Trevor Horn to help him. The result is interesting, as are the conclusions about genres. Worth a watch.

Jazz Club

Re: Interesting Programme on BBC4

Post by Jazz Club » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:00 am

Bev,
Trevor Horn recently got his ownership of Video killed the Radio star back. 8) :smt023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8r-tXR ... 8r-tXRLazs
Lovely man and his wife used to cook a brilliant Sunday roast in Wimbledon :smt023

MHmusic

Re: Interesting Programme on BBC4

Post by MHmusic » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:59 pm

I ended up being a bit disappointed with the programme in the end. Having exposure to data analysis and geeky stuff like this over the years I just felt it seemed a bit of a weak effort somehow and it didn't really expose anything on the music or the analysis side. If I am honest if felt a bit like a good idea/premise had been sold to the BBC and then, after following it through they realised it wasn't close to working or having substance and they panicked, and instead knocked something together quickly. TBH it failed at the start because they started with a young singer and her song with the thought that they could then amend it to be successful. This didn't seem to fit at all with the data or what it was telling them (from afar, obviously). At the end they threw in a more sensible approach which was to identify the most likely song to succeed but it felt like a last minute add when they realised how daft the first bit was.

Hands up - I realise this is a bit over the top but I have just finished watching it and it was frustrating TBH. I should declare that it's not that I expect the analysis to be successful, or useful it's just a poor attempt.

While I am ranting I guess I should add that even their interpretation of the analysis seemed highly subjective. Their conclusion being that the Beatles were successful because they were mind-numbingly average is one interpretation but just one and therefore again it seems flawed or at best incomplete to me. The one thing that I learnt again and again re the power of analysis is that at the end of all of the number crunching someone has to use their brain to interpret and then importantly communicate what it means. So too often it's completely misniterpreted and abused to say whatever the budget holder wants it to say. Not a long term job for the purist TBH who typically becomes very frustrated.

Double hands up - this is definitely an unfair rant but I enjoyed it all the same : hobby horse well and truly mounted :D

No disrespect meant to the OP BTW and thanks for the nudge as I would have missed it. :D

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer