What Film have you just watched?

The magic moving image

Moderator: The Kurators

MHmusic

Re: What Film have you just watched?

Post by MHmusic » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Watched Split last night which is one that we have wanted to watch for a while. Absolutely brilliant film. James McAvoy is perfect as the guy with 23/24 personalities. Chilling, funny, thrilling, the lot.

Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:32 pm

This one is a must for all you jazz fans! A spellbinding documetary centered around the relationship between Lee and his wife Helen and the tragic early death of Lee. The documetary with all it's layers seems like a love letter to the old jazz scene in NY. Highly recommended! :smt023
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Klimax Exakt DSM/0, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:02 pm

Pediatrik wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:32 pm
This one is a must for all you jazz fans! A spellbinding documetary centered around the relationship between Lee and his wife Helen and the tragic early death of Lee. The documetary with all it's layers seems like a love letter to the old jazz scene in NY. Highly recommended! :smt023

Cheers Mikael I'll have to track that down. :smt023
I've got that Miles movie to watch not sure what to expect though. :roll:
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:05 am

Coyote Jim wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:02 pm
Pediatrik wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:32 pm

Cheers Mikael I'll have to track that down. :smt023
I've got that Miles movie to watch not sure what to expect though. :roll:

Do you mean "Miles Ahead" with Don Cheadley Jim? Seems like a different kind of movie... :roll:
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Klimax Exakt DSM/0, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:36 am

image.jpeg
Well I was looking forward to a bit of informative lifestyle history and got a film with about as much credibility as custard.
A plot so shallow it's like an evaporated puddle it's just random people pretending to be someone and going on what I can only describe as a very weak kiddie version of pulp fiction.
" no disrespect to pulp fiction :smt018 "
I noticed this in a bargain section at a record store checkout and now I see why I've got the Clint Eastwood directed film about Charlie Parker " Bird " reasonable story with a gritty undertone but this is just dross don't believe the hype the best fun I had was trying to guess who was supposed to be who it stopped me nodding off the highlight of the film is the last ten minutes with a sort of live band giving it funk and a cameo appearance of Herbie Hancock and Wayne shorter " hope they're not to embarrassed on hindsight.
On the pooscale I'd give it 5 xss_poo xss_poo xss_poo xss_poo xss_poo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:36 am
image.jpeg Well I was looking forward to a bit of informative lifestyle history and got a film with about as much credibility as custard.
A plot so shallow it's like an evaporated puddle it's just random people pretending to be someone and going on what I can only describe as a very weak kiddie version of pulp fiction.
" no disrespect to pulp fiction :smt018 "
I noticed this in a bargain section at a record store checkout and now I see why I've got the Clint Eastwood directed film about Charlie Parker " Bird " reasonable story with a gritty undertone but this is just dross don't believe the hype the best fun I had was trying to guess who was supposed to be who it stopped me nodding off the highlight of the film is the last ten minutes with a sort of live band giving it funk and a cameo appearance of Herbie Hancock and Wayne shorter " hope they're not to embarrassed on hindsight.
On the pooscale I'd give it 5 xss_poo xss_poo xss_poo xss_poo xss_poo

Sorry Jim, but seeing the trailer, I'm not surprised...
The Lee Morgan film above and the Nina Simone film I recommended a while ago (What happened miss Simone?) are on the other hand high quality documentaries with heaps of great music! :smt023

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:02 pm

[ external image ]
Watch this on BBC last night, really loved it. Michael Caine stole it, fantastic as a washed out one time promoter. Jane Horrocks was brilliant all the way through.

[ external image ]
Watched this after Little Voice on film 4. Really enjoyed it, showing Brown as he was a brilliant singer and performer, but also a bastard to get on with. A fine performance by Chadwick Boseman as Brown.
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:57 pm

MV5BZTIwYjI2YTgtYTBlZi00OTY0LTk0NWEtZmM4ZTgyMDY0NzIwL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUxODE0MDY@._V1_.jpg

The Alistair Sim version used to be my benchmark, now having seen this film its a photo finish. A great 1935 film with Sir Seymour Hicks as Scrooge that needs no excuses for being over 80 years old. Fantastic special effects (double exposure et al) and a masterclass on how to light a film set. Its bloody scary it parts as well, all done with the lighting and your imagination.

Its just a fantastic film that deserves further showings. If you get the chance, you MUST see it. Its not going to be repeated any time soon, so I am glad its saved on the PVR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

LD100

Post by LD100 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:50 pm

Agree 100%, I was fortunate to buy a "Ultimate Collectors Edition" on DVD a while back which contains both movies.

In the US, I had not seen the Sir Hicks version on TV, so it was a pleasant surprise to view it for the first time on these discs.

Still leaning toward Alastair Sim as my favorite Scrooge, but it is close and I think that having seen him on TV as a child influences my thinking.

Let's not forget Sir Michael Caine as Scrooge in the Muppet version...maybe not classic cinema, but entertaining never the less. xss29
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:42 pm

Michael Caine once said he was going to play the part like he was working with the RSC. I think thats why the Muppet version works so well
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer