Moderator: The Kurators

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Re: What Film have you just watched?

Post by Wenge1 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:46 pm

dan steel wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:02 pm
[ external image ]
Watch this on BBC last night, really loved it. Michael Caine stole it, fantastic as a washed out one time promoter. Jane Horrocks was brilliant all the way through.

Completely agree on all accounts. One of the best 'musical' based films I have seen ............. :smt020
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:23 pm

A real black comedy that I really enjoyed with some class acting. If this doesn't pick up Oscars then I'll be shocked.
"Never has so much been lost by so many, to satisfy so few"

Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Scooter wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:23 pm
A real black comedy that I really enjoyed with some class acting. If this doesn't pick up Oscars then I'll be shocked.

What a coincidence Keith, my wife just came home from the movies after watching the same film. She absolutely loved it!
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Klimax Exakt DSM/0, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:51 am

A dim-witted man (Ian Carmichael) looking for a career in industry gets a job at his uncle’s weapons factory. He ends up an unwitting pawn of both the scheming management and the rebellious trade union, and becomes a central figure in a strike that has been manipulated as part of a dodgy arms deal. Satirical comedy, starring Ian Carmichael, Peter Sellers, Terry-Thomas and Richard Attenborough. Classic Boulting Brothers comedy. 8)
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:16 am

dan steel wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:51 am
A dim-witted man (Ian Carmichael) looking for a career in industry gets a job at his uncle’s weapons factory. He ends up an unwitting pawn of both the scheming management and the rebellious trade union, and becomes a central figure in a strike that has been manipulated as part of a dodgy arms deal. Satirical comedy, starring Ian Carmichael, Peter Sellers, Terry-Thomas and Richard Attenborough. Classic Boulting Brothers comedy. 8)

Great film and Liz Fraser was hilarious. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:55 am

... and Irene Handl was (as always) superb.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:05 am

Mr Onion wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:55 am
... and Irene Handl was (as always) superb.

Sad Confession Alert
I've been watching For The Love Of Ada on talking pictures TV.
Funny and sometimes simple but innocent humour a bit like Last Of The Summer Wine before its time.
I'd love a time machine. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

MHmusic

Post by MHmusic » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:39 pm

Scooter wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:23 pm

Can't see the image - which one was this? BlackkKlansman perhaps?

Gregg A.

Post by Gregg A. » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:04 pm

Last night I watched Blackkklansman. Black humour indeed.
I had a special interest for this film because of finnish actor Jasper Pääkkönen in Felix Kendricksons role.

MHmusic

Post by MHmusic » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:08 pm

Watched quite a few lately.

BlackkKlansman - excellent and I hadn't realised until afterwards that the star is Denzil's son. Spike Lee magic where he somehow makes a really funny, watchable film while driving home the worst of racism and at the end shines the mirror back at how close this is to the surface today.

Equalizer 2 - starring Denzil :) and a much better watch than the first one of this series. We all enjoyed this one. Not a particularly deep plot but tough guy action well done by a very good actor (if you never got around to watching Fences I would definitely recommend that one but it's nothing like this.

Solo - from the Star Wars suite. Really struggled to get into this one and almost gave up after the first 20 mins or so but it did get better and was 'OK'. Essential for the Star Wars aficionados I guess but requires more perseverance than Last Jedi (for me).

Close - I think this is a Netflix original? About a female bodyguard, a rich young woman/'brat character' and kidnap/murder attempt etc. It was OK I think, but felt a bit more like a series episode than a film at times. (Netflix)

The Spy Who Dumped Me - really didn't expect anything much at all from this one but it was a really good watch - funny, fast moving action and all of that despite me typically avoiding this type of movie. The two lead actresses bounce off each other throughout making it very funny.

Death Wish - Bruce Willis remake of the Bronson cult movie. Probably not in the right mood for this one when we watched it but it was kind of OK at best. I like Bruce but not sure he is 'dark enough' for this one.

Fallout - Mission Impossible - you have to hand it to Tom Cruise - he manages to deliver a very watchable, not stop thriller every time. I always start these thinking - oh, not again - and finish saying - brilliant. Top big budget all out action thriller.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - I read that this is accused of being sugary sweet but perhaps we just in the right mood for it because we all loved enjoyed this one.

(As an aside, I have fallen in love with Atmos and 4K/HDR of late. The Atmos makes such a huge difference and my natural scepticism about things like this was misplaced.)

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer