Post by Jazz Club » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:09 pm

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Re: Has Anyone Been To See D'Movie Yet?

Post by Mr Onion » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:08 pm

Not even if I got a free EKOS SE

Weeeeellllll, for an EKOS I might, but nothing less would entice me
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Jamiel

Post by Jamiel » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:57 pm

It was a really lovely project to work on. I can't say that the TV series appealed to my sense of humour, but that has changed watching what I have of the film. I haven't seen the film right through though, but that is often the case for most things I work on. It is certainly going to be better than many of the Sci-fi rubbish I have contributed to.

I do find Brendan O'Carroll very funny as himself, and he is a very generous and likeable person to work with.

It has apparently opened very well, so from a personal view point that is very good news, especially as a sequel is being talked about.

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:23 pm

Jamie,
Did you get to see the finished Newtown killers ?
I found a DVD today if you want it?

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:12 am

My daughter went to see D'Movie with a friend on Saturday and loved it.
She saw Stevie Wonder on Sunday loved that also.

Jamiel

Post by Jamiel » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:56 pm

I haven't seen 'New Town Killers' yet, but am happy to wait a while, it is a bit too violent to watch with Ella around, and probably not Sarah's cup of tea. I would like to catch it sometime, Richard Jobson was good to work with, and I think ti will be very stylish.

'D'Movie' is number 1 in the UK and Ireland box offices. Really glad as it had a great cast and crew. It will not win any awards, but at least it will be a fun way to spend a couple of hours, which is more than I can say of some films I have worked on. I feel the same about 'Bula Quo', basically a DVD stocking filler for dad's, but that was a fun movie that didn't take itself too seriously and was nice entertainment.

The films that I really like rarely have visual effects in them, Mike Leigh and John Sayles just don't need them, so to work on something that isn't offensive and at least is fun is a rel plus for me.

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:46 pm

Its a only watch it once film.
I just thought of those freezing cold winter nights you spent on the roof tops during the filming.

Jamiel

Post by Jamiel » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:26 pm

Sarah told me earlier that the film is still number 1 in the UK and Ireland (I think), which given that the first weekend's takings put the film in profit (not counting the marketing which I don't know the cost of), everyone involved should be very pleased. Apparently doing better than Tom Cruise's latest film too.

I am especially happy for Ben Kellett the director who I have worked with for many years, he deserves this success, and Brendan O'Carroll as I said before is a very generous person to work with, as well as genuinely sharp and funny.

I have heard talk of two separate sequels, so hopefully some more work there. Maybe I might also bump into someone I saw at a Soho effects company a couple of months ago, who hadn't heard of the film and said it was 'just TV work', and say ....... well what I would say isn't very polite to write on a forum.

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:45 am

I went to see him a couple of years back at the Liverpool Empire. No one could do their lines for laughing, especially the guy who plays the gay son, he was totally gone.
You think the language is bad on TV, you should have heard it live. I've never laughted so much, he's a very funny man.
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

Jamiel

Post by Jamiel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:12 pm

When we were filming outside at a building in Dublin (some landmark, but I can't remember the name), there were railings around the gardens, and Brendan was walking over to the crowd that had gathered to watch the proceedings, and leaning over and letting people get photos with him. The same for all the extras, he let them all get shots with him.

The rest of the cast were the same, such a lovely cast, and crew to work with. My last day on set, as Brendon walked off, he came over and put his arm round me and gave me a big smile.

It might not be the ground breaking comedy that has been fashionable the last few years, but on the other hand, it is funny, which many of those were not, and as a writer and actor he is certainly a lot more fun to work with than on lot I did a series for. Not Armstrong and Miller, they were lovely too.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer