Providence (1977) finally on DVD

The magic moving image

Moderator: The Kurators

Jamiel

Providence (1977) finally on DVD

Post by Jamiel » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:53 am

[ external image ]

http://worldcinemaparadise.com/…/dvd-re ... ence-1977/

Finally my favourite film has been released on DVD. With cast including John Gielgud, Dirk Bogarde, David Warner, Ellen Burstyn and Elanie Stritch, made in 1977. You might think it would have got a release by now, but no a French director making a film in English, with a UK/US cast has fallen foul of those promoting DVDs on both sides of eh Channel, until now.

Sadly Resnais died earlier this year. He also made 'Last Year in Marienbad' and 'Hiroshima Mon Amour'.

Not for everyone with its non linear narrative from David Mercer's script, but it you Peter Greenaway, or Nic Roeg, this may well be in your sphere of films.

grimreaper46

Re: Providence (1977) finally on DVD

Post by grimreaper46 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:44 pm

Love the term
non linear narrative
. Sounds like a round in Connect :smt017

Don't know this one. Might get to watch it it comes on one of the movie channel's.

The only one of the films I have seen is Hiroshima Mon Amour'
LP12 (now with the special Peter Swain magic touch and a Kore and T-Cable) for analogue, Majik Aktiv System for digital

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory

Live Long And Prosper

Jamiel

Post by Jamiel » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:57 pm

I don't think the film has been broadcast since 1988 to my knowledge. There are a few clips on Youtube and Dailymotion to try.

Resnais' films were very varied, so liking one might not lead to similarities to find in another.

Sad that such a great film is virtual unknown 35 years after its making.

Jamie

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:03 pm

Jamie,
I remember going to see it at a small independent cinema on the left as you come down from Hyde Park corner down into Knightsbridge in 1977.
To be honest I have never been a fan of Dirk Bogarde even when he was playing his most tormented characters.

Jamiel

Post by Jamiel » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:19 pm

Oh, I've always like Bogarde, especially his work with Losey and Pinter, but he is one of those 'cold' actors that are probably an acquired taste.

I admired him greatly for his role in 'Victim' when he was still a commercial star, and his homosexuality unknown. David Steel MP, showed it to the committee reviewing the law on homosexuality, known as the 'blackmailer's charter' when it was repealed in the 60's.

I have yet to see 'Death in Venice' though, which I gather can be hard work, despite all the Mahler.

As for Providence, I think it is probably Gielgud's best performance on film, but then I would considering my love of the film.

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:32 pm

The Victim was a frustratingly dark haunting film to sit through.
Well acted and filmed in small rooms.
Always remember it as a Black and White film.
It was re-made under another name with a modern twist a few years ago with young actors.
But with lots of violence and drugs.
Don't remember the name of it though.
I will always remember the storm the film he did with Jean Michel Jarre's wife in 1973/4 caused in the press.[ external image ]
I went to a late night premiere when it opened at the Haymarket cinema in London and the masses outside with banners calling for it to be banned. :roll:
It was classed as a X back then and I think you still had to be 21 to get in.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:30 am

[ external image ]
Great film I have loads of strange harrowing British Classics,Comedies and "Kitchen Sink" movies.
:shock: :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Jamiel

Post by Jamiel » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:46 pm

Good week for Resnais for me, for teh course I am studying we watched 'Hiroshima mon Amour' today, great film, slow by modern standards, but still great.

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:00 pm

Jamiel wrote:Good week for Resnais for me, for teh course I am studying we watched 'Hiroshima mon Amour' today, great film, slow by modern standards, but still great.
Jamie,
Do you cover any German movies Producer/Directors as part of your Masters course?
I have always been a massive fan of [ external image ] Rainer Werner Fassbinder films.

Jamiel

Post by Jamiel » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Fassbinder and Wenders have already been mentioned, but we haven't watched any of their films yet. I hope we do.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer