How Much Longer Will Man U Have Manager?

Thats Soccer to everyone on the left side of the pond.

Moderator: The Kurators

MHmusic

Re: How Much Longer Will Man U Have Manager?

Post by MHmusic » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Football is crazy. I think it was only 4 or 5 weeks ago that they were top of the Premier League. Even now they are 6th and only 9 points from the top team at Xmas. Ferguson, God amongst football managers that he was, left behind a team that had been under-invested for a few years and had the last bit of blood squeezed from it. No longer able to play their Class of '92 get out of jail card. This may have been the board's fault, I don't know, but Moyes sacking was weird but Van Gaal's treatment seems even worse and media driven.

I am not so in tune with Man U fans lately but Mourinho had real supporter support but the media managed to hound him out, pressuring him since day one of the season with doubts ending in a feeding frenzy at the end. I understand that some fans like to consider they have a God given right to be top all of the time but I remember them being relegated until Pearson and Macari (?) lifted them back up again and all teams need time to settle and find their rhythm. This new requirement to play swashbuckling football while winning the league is a tough one too. Talk about a tough crowd :D - but is that the media crowd or the real one - I don't know. Red Chris will know I am sure.

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:59 pm

Wenge1 wrote: Brace yourself, I reckon Pep is more likely to appear across the other side of Manchester.... :smt030

So the papers would have you believe 8)
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:14 pm

MHmusic wrote:This new requirement to play swashbuckling football while winning the league is a tough one too. Talk about a tough crowd :D - but is that the media crowd or the real one - I don't know.
It is a mixture - there have been a large number anti-LVG who are much more vocal now that the team is losing. It is not as thought they are recent supporters - some of them have supported United longer that me - and I'm a glory hunter from the mid-sixties.

There are quite a few who thought that Giggs should have been given the job after David Moyes but plenty of others who (like me) didn't think that he was ready at the time.

The press though are insatiable - they had it in for Rodgers and Mourinho - and now it's LVG's turn. I'm expecting him to go if we lose tomorrow - possible even if we win as I am starting to give credence to those who are saying that it will be Jose but not until after we have played Chelski.

Whatever - I plan to go to Old Trafford tomorrow and support my team to the best of my ability.
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

MHmusic

Post by MHmusic » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:36 pm

Good on you. The best thing any fan can dominate this situation is scream them on for 95 mins.

I would fear for Giggsy if he ever does get that job. I am not sure he 'looks or sounds' like he has the ego needed to survive and lord over the Man U hierarchy. Legend of a player and it would be a shame if he was to do something to ruin that. Gary Neville appears to have a bit more of that swagger but I think for now they should remain as footballing mini-Gods and excellent coaches and leave the management until later.

Mourinho has the ego, experience and for me is probably one of the best managers around despite his recent meltdown. What I can't see though is that working if the crowd/media are baying for exciting football. Mourinho's game plan has always been a rock solid defence and midfield that puts avoiding conceding as the main and second and third priority. A physical and goal scoring powerhouse up front and at least one uber tricky winger. With everyone being internationals and a healthy sprinkling of world class players he grinds out wins. Chelsea were exciting because they were always winning but very often they look like a Tony Pulis side/shape populated with world class expensive players. I don't think you will see much swashbuckling attack play but you could well win a lot of matches.

One other benefit is if Mourinho is good for 3 years (as it seems) and is an excellent developer of coaches/managers etc then partnering him with Giggs/Neville is the Board's best bet of assessing them as his successor. Today, I would bet heavily against either of them being successful in that job but they will emerge far better for it. But there will be no swashbuckling ........

Steven

Post by Steven » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:57 pm

I think that most MU fans would agree that they wanted JM as the manager to follow SAF.

Jose's ego didn't allow him to be 'chosen' that at time ....

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:23 am

I don't know any United fans who wanted Mourinho to follow SAF - certainly not any match going fans that I talk to.

Mourinho's style of play is definitely what I would consider as the United Way.

MHmusic

Post by MHmusic » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:13 am

Red Chris wrote:I don't know any United fans who wanted Mourinho to follow SAF - certainly not any match going fans that I talk to.

Mourinho's style of play is definitely what I would consider as the United Way.
I am guessing you left the word 'not' out of that sentence?

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:51 am

Whoops - yes I did :oops:

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:11 am

The press are bastards and the shareholders are tossers. It's them that determine the managers fate. These so called top teams invest millions on success and if there is a dip in form it's sack the manager, and the press join in.
The problem with the PL is there is not enough British managers. Most of the PL teams are managed by foreign managers who bring in overseas players which has a knock on effect on the National teams. They are given large amounts of money which they spend on overpriced players and expect instant success. If that doesn't happen sack the manager.
It's happening at Man Utd, the players need time to gel and it's affecting their play as they are getting criticised by fans and press. Arsenal came down to earth against Southampton and it's sack the manager or buy new players again.
Mourinho lost the plot from day one when he spit his dummy out when he couldn't sign the players he wanted ie John Stones so he started to blame everyone else but him self. Personally I would touch him with a barge pole, the sooner he goes the better.
Great to see the no hopers doing well Leicester, Palace, Everton, Watford, Stoke. All teams that haven't spent a lot but are holding their heads up.
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

MHmusic

Post by MHmusic » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:35 pm

dan steel wrote:.....
Great to see the no hopers doing well Leicester, Palace, Everton, Watford, Stoke. All teams that haven't spent a lot but are holding their heads up.

HEY! I support one of those no-hopers! :) The truth hurts you know - ouch :)

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer