Aretha Franklin, 'queen of soul', dies aged 76

Remembering the great and the good who have gone to join the big Jam session in the sky.

Moderator: The Kurators

FangfossFlyer

Aretha Franklin, 'queen of soul', dies aged 76

Post by FangfossFlyer » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:19 pm

The great American soul singer Aretha Franklin has died at the age of 76, her representative has said. She was reported to have been gravely ill with her family at her bedside.

Franklin had been in ill health since 2010, when she was diagnosed with a tumour but returned to intermittent live performance after undergoing surgery. She died of advanced pancreatic cancer. Despite having announced her retirement from performing in 2017, she was due to headline two shows at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Fest this April but cancelled on doctor’s orders. Her last performance was at the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine in New York City during Elton John’s 25th anniversary gala for the Elton John Aids Foundation on 7 November 2017.

Known as “the queen of soul”, Franklin sold more than 75m records in her lifetime and won 18 Grammy awards. She had 77 entries in the US Billboard Hot 100 and 20 No 1 singles on the R&B chart. Her last album was A Brand New Me, released in November 2017, which paired archival vocal recordings for Atlantic Records with new orchestral arrangements by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Her last original recording was Aretha Franklin Sings the Great Diva Classics in 2014, which included her take on Adele’s Rolling in the Deep.

“American history wells up when Aretha sings,” former US president Barack Obama said of her performance of (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman at the 2015 Kennedy Center Honors. “Nobody embodies more fully the connection between the African-American spiritual, the blues, R&B, rock’n’roll – the way that hardship and sorrow were transformed into something full of beauty and vitality and hope.”

Franklin was born on 25 March 1942 in Memphis, Tennessee. The family moved to Buffalo, New York, when Franklin was two years old, and settled in Detroit, Michigan two years later. It was in Detroit, shortly after her mother’s death, that the 10-year-old Franklin started singing solos at New Bethel church, where her father was a preacher whose political sermons led Martin Luther King to stay with the family when he visited Detroit.

Rest In Peace,

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: Aretha Franklin, 'queen of soul', dies aged 76

Post by Coyote Jim » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:27 pm

image.jpeg
Very sad indeed.
I'd been sort of expecting the worst when they said she was receiving hospice care.
Let's hope she now rests in peace and has no pain.
A real powerhouse of her genre.
R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
RIP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Sad news indeed. RiP Aretha
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Craig Lang
Banned

Post by Craig Lang » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:27 pm

Queen of soul also gospel, sad loss.
"Never has so much been lost by so many, to satisfy so few"

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:32 pm

Robbie Roberston posted this...

When the legendary Atlantic Records producer Jerry Wexler told me that he had recorded, The Weight with Aretha Franklin, I thought, how does it get better than that? When I heard their version, I was thrilled that she sang the hell out of it and had Duane Allman on slide guitar. A dream come true. Aretha doesn’t scream, squall, or yell, she SINGS— from the heavens with grace and style.
Sending blessings and appreciations to the Queen.
RR

Says it all.
"Never has so much been lost by so many, to satisfy so few"

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:02 pm

Very sad she will be sorely missed.
RIP
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Great voice forever lost. :cry:
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Akurate EDSM, Klimax Exaktbox/1, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer