The Live Music Room.

Where would we be without the music?

Moderator: The Kurators

MHmusic

Re: The Live Music Room.

Post by MHmusic » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Keith

Just love reading your Gig reports. :D Gives a nice feel for the artist and how it felt to be there.

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Great write up Keith, just to add....

Last night’s gig was electric, a tight trio allowed Thompson room to indulge in some stunning lead guitar playing. The classic Red Stratocaster's tone bent and twisted twang in support with his trademark lyrics. Tightly but sparsely arranged, each song sparked with snarling energy which was first-class stuff. At 69 years of age, he’s still a tremendously compelling writer and performer.
The trio of Thompson on guitar and vocals and Michael Jerome (drums) and Taras Prodaniuk (bass) had a real feel for the material and which allowed Thompson to bring a spontaneous energy to each song.
One of our best songwriters, Thompson delivered a good mix of vintage songs and tracks from new album 13 Rivers. Whilst the fans clearly loved the Fairport Convention numbers and classics like Beeswing, the songs from the new album are superb, delivered with an energy and swagger that few performers of any generation can equaly.
Another great gig. 8)

Setlist
Bones of Gilead
Her Love Was Meant For Me
Take Care the Road You Choose
Meet on the Ledge
(Fairport Convention song)
Can't Win
They Tore The Hippodrome Down
Dry My Tears and Move On
1952 Vincent Black Lightning
The Rattle Within
Guitar Heroes
Tale in Hard Time
The Storm Won't Come
I'll Never Give It Up
Wall of Death
(Richard & Linda Thompson song)
Put It There
Tear Stained Letter

Encore:
Beeswing
Down Where the Drunkards Roll

Encore 2:
Trying
Take a Heart
(The Sorrows cover)
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:11 pm

dan steel wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:00 pm
Great write up Keith, just to add....

Last night’s gig was electric, a tight trio allowed Thompson room to indulge in some stunning lead guitar playing. The classic Red Stratocaster's tone bent and twisted twang in support with his trademark lyrics. Tightly but sparsely arranged, each song sparked with snarling energy which was first-class stuff. At 69 years of age, he’s still a tremendously compelling writer and performer.
The trio of Thompson on guitar and vocals and Michael Jerome (drums) and Taras Prodaniuk (bass) had a real feel for the material and which allowed Thompson to bring a spontaneous energy to each song.
One of our best songwriters, Thompson delivered a good mix of vintage songs and tracks from new album 13 Rivers. Whilst the fans clearly loved the Fairport Convention numbers and classics like Beeswing, the songs from the new album are superb, delivered with an energy and swagger that few performers of any generation can equaly.
Another great gig. 8)

Setlist
Bones of Gilead
Her Love Was Meant For Me
Take Care the Road You Choose
Meet on the Ledge
(Fairport Convention song)
Can't Win
They Tore The Hippodrome Down
Dry My Tears and Move On
1952 Vincent Black Lightning
The Rattle Within
Guitar Heroes
Tale in Hard Time
The Storm Won't Come
I'll Never Give It Up
Wall of Death
Put It There
Tear Stained Letter

Encore:
Beeswing
Down Where the Drunkards Roll

Encore 2:
Trying
Take a Heart
(The Sorrows cover)

Cheers and well done Jim, I wrote early this morning before the school run and there was no set list or photo's then posted later hoping there would be some but no luck.
"Never has so much been lost by so many, to satisfy so few"

BevC

Post by BevC » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:35 am

On Saturday evening we travelled to Birmingham Arena to see Jeff Lynne’s ELO. They were fabulous - nice mix of all the old favourites. We sat in the downstairs section but they might as well have taken the seats away as, with the exception of When I Was A Boy, everyone was standing for the evening. We were also treated to Handle With Care and they finished with Mr Blue Sky (by this point the whole arena was on its feet) to be followed with an encore of Roll Over Beethoven. The whole set comprised 19 songs and was about 90 minutes. The band is exceptionally good, in particular their violinist, who nailed the opening of Livin’ Thing, which is not easy to do. A thoroughly enjoyable evening.

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:04 am

BevC wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:35 am
On Saturday evening we travelled to Birmingham Arena to see Jeff Lynne’s ELO. They were fabulous - nice mix of all the old favourites. We sat in the downstairs section but they might as well have taken the seats away as, with the exception of When I Was A Boy, everyone was standing for the evening. We were also treated to Handle With Care and they finished with Mr Blue Sky (by this point the whole arena was on its feet) to be followed with an encore of Roll Over Beethoven. The whole set comprised 19 songs and was about 90 minutes. The band is exceptionally good, in particular their violinist, who nailed the opening of Livin’ Thing, which is not easy to do. A thoroughly enjoyable evening.

Sounds like you had a great evening, glad you enjoyed it.

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Wed 5th Dec 8:00pm
MOLLY BURCH
Leaf On Bold Street, Liverpool
Next gig with Keith. 8)

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:45 am

Great write ups lads, keep them coming .......... :smt023
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Hothouse Flowers

13th November 2018
Pocklington Arts Centre

Our local venue which is a small arts centre with that wonderful small venue vibe.

A fun time was had by all!

Richard
Last edited by FangfossFlyer on Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:08 pm

I have been tempted by several gigs at Pocklington but although its not 'that' far some one put the Humber in the way which doubles the time it would take to get there. :roll:

Glad you had fun
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi James,
Worth the trip esp. if it is for a band or artist you really like.
I have seen a few bands and artists there and have always enjoyed it.
Often after the gig you get to meet the artist and band.
My one regret was not getting to see Roger McGuinn (Byrd’s founder) there a few years ago.
Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer