Where would we be without the music?

Moderator: The Kurators

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Re: The Live Music Room.

Post by dan steel » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:53 am

Coyote Jim wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:18 am
At Jazz Club this evening for the first gig of the year being entertained in fab style.
Ken Mathieson’s Classic Jazz Orchestra.
Is an 8 piece band with a big sound and features the cream of Scottish Jazz - the line up for our event is Paul Harrison on piano, Roy Percy on double bass, Ken Mathieson on drums, Tom McNiven on trumpet, Chris Grieve on trombone, Konrad Wiszniewski on tenor sax and Dick Lee and Martin Foster on reeds.
This is music to lift the spirits and get the feet tapping!
Google these names for an eye and ear opener so happy and lucky to have this class on the doorstep.
This Cooks! 8) :smt023

Cool night for jazz cats. 8) :smt023

None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:29 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:18 am
At Jazz Club this evening for the first gig of the year being entertained in fab style.
Ken Mathieson’s Classic Jazz Orchestra.
Is an 8 piece band with a big sound and features the cream of Scottish Jazz - the line up for our event is Paul Harrison on piano, Roy Percy on double bass, Ken Mathieson on drums, Tom McNiven on trumpet, Chris Grieve on trombone, Konrad Wiszniewski on tenor sax and Dick Lee and Martin Foster on reeds.
This is music to lift the spirits and get the feet tapping!
Google these names for an eye and ear opener so happy and lucky to have this class on the doorstep.
This Cooks! 8) :smt023

Good to see that the rumours that you refuse to leave your listening chair and venture out are unfounded ...... :smt005 ...... sounds like a great night Jim ............ :smt023
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:29 am

Early December (the 7th to be precise) my wife became poorly so I put Jim on notice that gigs would be put on hold with the exception of the Prowsie gig where my two daughters looked after her. She is now on the road to recovery which is going to take a couple of months. So I’ve missed and I am going to miss some more gigs. Last night my daughter arrived, unexpectedly, with a ticket to go to the Church to see Liela Moss, ex Duke Spirit and she also sang on the Lost Horizons album. She would stay whilst I went to the gig “no argument”. So off I went on a cold night. First band up was a band called Sunstack Jones who looked like they had arrived on a time machine from California in the seventies. Firstly they apologised as one of the band had flu and was missing. They started off and they had my full attention, they consisted of a drummer, well To say drummer was a bit of an exaggeration when all he had was a snare and cymbal which he played using brushes not bringing out one drum stick through the whole set. There was a bass player, guitarist playing a Gibson ES, which sounded beautiful and an acoustic guitarist/singer. They played for half an hour and I was hooked. The sound was really good made so good by the guy playing the Gibson which had a lovely warm tone with the exception of one song where fuzz was applied. So when they finished I got the CD from the stand before they left. Next up was Liela Moss, the church had now filled with about one hundred which I didn’t expect. Her band consisted of drummer, bass/guitarist, violinist/keyboard, keyboard/guitarist so there was a fair bit of instrument swapping yet not intrusive to the set. She has a lovely voice with a good range and whilst she was promoting her solo album she did delve into Duke Spirit. She was on for an hour and despite the cries of more she came on to say that they have no more as this tour is a sort of warm up for the year ahead. A brilliant night first of the year. As a footnote at the end I asked the promoter where Sunstack Jones were from, the answer Merseyside not sure which side of the water. I should have guessed.
"Never has so much been lost by so many, to satisfy so few"

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:39 am

Nice one Keith glad it was a great night. :smt023

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:14 pm

Good write up of what seems like a great night for you Keith. Made better no doubt by the fact that it was a complete surprise courtesy of your daughter .......... :smt023
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:01 pm

Nice one Keith the enthusiasm of the writing says all. 8) :smt023
image.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:37 pm

Liela Moss at the Church last week...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYklU6Q ... e=youtu.be

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Scooter wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:37 pm
Liela Moss at the Church last week...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYklU6Q ... e=youtu.be

Keith,
Nice atmosphere and the acoustics sound fine. :smt023

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:30 am

Another step forward last night, my wife is well on the road to recovery and has come on brilliantly in the last week so we didn’t tell the girls that I was off to church last night. I knew Tom “throw a strop” Blackwell was support so I arrived late aiming to miss his set but caught the last two songs and to be fair he was good. After seeing him fail a couple of times I wasn’t keen to see him again but apparently he put in a good show. The first thing that hit me upon arrival was that the church was full, not far off a sell out(200 capacity). It was the last gig of the tour of Cedric Burnside, son of RL Burnside a “legend” of country blues/folk. He came on stage sat down alone and did three blues songs playing what sounded like a dobro but was an acoustic guitars. He then brought on a guy who played harmonica for one song. So far it was real blues performed to perfection. He then brought on another guy who played slide on a Les Paul and Cedric now switched to electric. This was for one song and the guy (whose name I didn’t catch) then switched to playing the drums. The set then continued with songs from his last album (Benton County Relic) which was Grammy nominated at last weeks Grammies. The music was now foot stomping and they could play, they were going down a storm with a really appreciative crowd. Then Cedric then switched to playing the drums and it was obvious this was his instrument, he really could play them. This took the set up another notch for the final half hour. If you like authentic blues this was a real night to saviour. We always go to a beer and blues festival out on the Welsh border in May and the guy who organises was there and he told me they had tried to book Cedric but failed but he was made up to see him in this country. Cedric also made the comment that the UK is a bastion of support for blues and he has always loved coming here which started when his daddy brought him as a child. He was on for nearly two hours and you felt he could of gone for another two. Another great night. Brian the photographer is away so I may not be able to post any photos. I have a digital SLR which I can handle with ease but the iPhone beats me. I see people taking photos with them and I try. I look at what I took and they are awful so I don’t bother. After writing this and posting I just found this...

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:36 am

Great night Keith good to see Janice is getter fitter. :smt023

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer