Qobuz New Service

Where would we be without the music?

Moderator: The Kurators

Scooter
Full Member
Posts: 5581
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Qobuz New Service

Post by Scooter » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:38 pm

Just had notice that there is a new streaming option called studio which offers high res streaming but no discount on purchases. Priced at £24.99 or £249.99 a year.
"Doomed. We're doomed I'll tell ye"

MHmusic
Full Member
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: Qobuz New Service

Post by MHmusic » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:20 pm

Scooter wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:38 pm
Just had notice that there is a new streaming option called studio which offers high res streaming but no discount on purchases. Priced at £24.99 or £249.99 a year.


It makes sense that they have put this together as you do buy less once you can stream in HiRes but slightly surprised at the pricing differential and think I will still stick with the Sublime offer because the additional £50 is easily 'paid for' with very few purchases. I realise others may have completely stopped purchases. I am close to that but not quite there.

Good to see they have options.

User avatar
phino
Full Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:25 pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Qobuz New Service

Post by phino » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:23 pm

I keep getting tempted to do the Sublime thing, but I just worry that they might disappear in a puff of smoke. £25 seems a bit steep? Maybe I'm just a tight git xss07

Pediatrik
Full Member
Posts: 1987
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:16 pm
Location: Visby, Sweden

Re: Qobuz New Service

Post by Pediatrik » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Seems like they have ditched Sublime... The only option to stream and receive discounts on downloads is Sublime+ nowadays. I wonder how long they will offer the €50 discount on the Sublime+ service? My Sublime subscription isn’t up for renewal until late December...
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Klimax Exakt DSM/0, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

MHmusic
Full Member
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: Qobuz New Service

Post by MHmusic » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:09 am

Pediatrik wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 pm
Seems like they have ditched Sublime... The only option to stream and receive discounts on downloads is Sublime+ nowadays. I wonder how long they will offer the €50 discount on the Sublime+ service? My Sublime subscription isn’t up for renewal until late December...


It doesn't appear as a discount. It's positioned as the new pricing and so you should be OK. I have received the same email and it says that the option to 'renew' early to take advantage of it will be communicated in December anyway I think. So you should be OK.

So when you say sublime has been ditched - I assume you mean that the monthly pay option for discount purchases and hires streaming has been ditched? That option seems to have been re-badged as Studio but amended as you say without the discount purchases. As it happens I always went for the annual payment anyway because that was I think 12 months for 11 mths equivalent. So for me it's just a price drop fortunately. Gives them cash up front which is OK for me and I really like the whole setup. The windows app is really nice these days and if they can just fix their beta option of initiating a stream direct to the Linn DS I would use it even more often than I do now.

Cheers

Pediatrik
Full Member
Posts: 1987
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:16 pm
Location: Visby, Sweden

Re: Qobuz New Service

Post by Pediatrik » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:54 am

MHmusic wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:09 am
Pediatrik wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 pm
Seems like they have ditched Sublime... The only option to stream and receive discounts on downloads is Sublime+ nowadays. I wonder how long they will offer the €50 discount on the Sublime+ service? My Sublime subscription isn’t up for renewal until late December...


It doesn't appear as a discount. It's positioned as the new pricing and so you should be OK. I have received the same email and it says that the option to 'renew' early to take advantage of it will be communicated in December anyway I think. So you should be OK.

So when you say sublime has been ditched - I assume you mean that the monthly pay option for discount purchases and hires streaming has been ditched? That option seems to have been re-badged as Studio but amended as you say without the discount purchases. As it happens I always went for the annual payment anyway because that was I think 12 months for 11 mths equivalent. So for me it's just a price drop fortunately. Gives them cash up front which is OK for me and I really like the whole setup. The windows app is really nice these days and if they can just fix their beta option of initiating a stream direct to the Linn DS I would use it even more often than I do now.

Cheers

Ok, thanks! When I say Sublime (instead of Sublime+) I mean streaming in 16-bit/44.1kHz (CD quality) with discount purchases. Annual payment.

Doesn’t Qobuz already stream direct to the DS? Thought so since Qobuz is integrated in Kazoo... :smt017
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Klimax Exakt DSM/0, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

Scooter
Full Member
Posts: 5581
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Re: Qobuz New Service

Post by Scooter » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:09 am

It looks like they are restructuring the price scale and content of the levels. Email I got yesterday says Sublime + price is going to drop by €50 and this will be offered in December. They will ask to buy another years subscription which will be discounted for the months left running on your current term. Looks good all round for myself and potential new customers who just want to stream high res.
"Doomed. We're doomed I'll tell ye"

Craig Lang
Banned
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:39 pm

Re: Qobuz New Service

Post by Craig Lang » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:02 am

Keith,
Ten years subscription is a long time to be tied to one company.
A lot can change in 10 years.
They were in financial dire straits not so long ago,Are they still running at a big loss ?
What do they charge for ten years?

MHmusic
Full Member
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Re: Qobuz New Service

Post by MHmusic » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:26 am

Pediatrik wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:54 am
MHmusic wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:09 am
Pediatrik wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 pm
Seems like they have ditched Sublime... The only option to stream and receive discounts on downloads is Sublime+ nowadays. I wonder how long they will offer the €50 discount on the Sublime+ service? My Sublime subscription isn’t up for renewal until late December...


It doesn't appear as a discount. It's positioned as the new pricing and so you should be OK. I have received the same email and it ......

Cheers

Ok, thanks! When I say Sublime (instead of Sublime+) I mean streaming in 16-bit/44.1kHz (CD quality) with discount purchases. Annual payment.

Doesn’t Qobuz already stream direct to the DS? Thought so since Qobuz is integrated in Kazoo... :smt017


It's on the website now. Probably easier to show the repositioning rather than describe it and so copy pasted the relevant bit. They have adjusted the nature of the options and the only option for discounted purchases seems to be the annual payment one. Reflecting the user behaviour/market and I can understand it. See below.


PREMIUM
9 99£ /month
or £99.99 / year
MP3 QUALITY STREAMING
320 kbps

HI-FI
19 99£ /month
or £199.99 / year
CD QUALITY STREAMING - FLAC 16-Bit / 44.1 KHz

NEW OFFER
STUDIO
24 99£ /month
or £249,99 / year
HI-RES QUALITY STREAMING - FLAC 24-Bit up to 192 KHz

Sublime+
299 99£ /year
Hi-Res quality streaming
Hi-Res downloads at reduced prices
Discover Sublime+

Probably should have added that I have no connection. With Qobuz other than a very happy user.


I also didn't answer the other but earlier.

You can already select and stream direct to any UpNp/DLNA (i.e. linn DS) from Kazoo but Qobuz Have a beta facility to enable you to use their app to browse but to then direct the stream to your DS (I.e. Not songcast etc.) at the same quality as if you had used Kazoo. I really like the Qobuz app on the windows pc which is a richer environment and this makes exploring the new releases each week a lot more fun but unfortunately it worked for a few days and then stuttered and stopped. Hopefully they will fix it. It works already for chromecast apparently full release version but I don't have that anywhere.

Pediatrik
Full Member
Posts: 1987
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:16 pm
Location: Visby, Sweden

Re: Qobuz New Service

Post by Pediatrik » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:01 pm

MHmusic wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:26 am
You can already select and stream direct to any UpNp/DLNA (i.e. linn DS) from Kazoo but Qobuz Have a beta facility to enable you to use their app to browse but to then direct the stream to your DS (I.e. Not songcast etc.) at the same quality as if you had used Kazoo. I really like the Qobuz app on the windows pc which is a richer environment and this makes exploring the new releases each week a lot more fun but unfortunately it worked for a few days and then stuttered and stopped. Hopefully they will fix it. It works already for chromecast apparently full release version but I don't have that anywhere.


I see! Wasn’t aware of the Qobuz beta.
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Klimax Exakt DSM/0, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer