Reggae music to be protected by the UN

Where would we be without the music?

Moderator: The Kurators

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Reggae music to be protected by the UN

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:52 pm

image.jpeg
"Jamaica had applied for reggae's inclusion on the list this year at a meeting of the UN agency on the island of Mauritius.

The protected list began in 2008 and grew out of the UN's convention for the safeguarding of intangible cultural heritage in 2003.

Its aims are to ensure respect for communities, groups and individuals involved in the listed activity, to raise awareness and encourage appreciation of those activities nationally and internationally.

"Reggae is uniquely Jamaican," said Olivia Grange, Jamaica's culture minister. "It is a music that we have created that has penetrated all corners of the world."

Announcing the decision, Unesco (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation) said the music's "contribution to international discourse on issues of injustice, resistance, love and humanity underscores the dynamics of the element as being at once cerebral, socio-political, sensual and spiritual".

It added: "The basic social functions of the music - as a vehicle for social commentary, a cathartic practice, and a means of praising God - have not changed, and the music continues to act as a voice for all.""

Interesting. It all seems totally ridiculous these days, but I can speak of my own persoinal experience. Back in the early 70's there was a clear social and musical divide. Then one day I heard my first reggae tune - inevitably it was Bob Marley, I believe - and this strange music was instantly addictive. Reggae seemed to hit the scene like a thunderbolt. It wasn't dance music (though you could dance to it), it wasn't rock, and the lyrics - while not as fanciful as much of the lyrics were back then - were more earthy and spiritual. And that bass!!!

It seemed as though you couldn't dislike it at the time. A few bands tried to recreate the sound in slightly different guises, reggae-light if you will, but it always sounded fake and silly. The only band that comes to mind who sorta made it work in a different guuise were The Police.

I don't have a collection of any merit when it comes to Reggae, and I'm not sure why that is. It's great music, although it's almost totally alien in many respects. Not sure what the UN can bring to the table, but it's kind of nice to see music getting this kind of attention.

SOURCE: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46383617
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

LD100

Re: Reggae music to be protected by the UN

Post by LD100 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:45 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:52 pm
Not sure what the UN can bring to the table, but it's kind of nice to see music getting this kind of attention.

Indeed, I would have thought "Pussy Riot" needed protection by the UN, but I'm glad to see the music arts getting some notice. :smt023
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

On the vinyl

Re: Reggae music to be protected by the UN

Post by On the vinyl » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Funny that
The un protecting music that has such an influence on people’s everyday life yet the tories seem hell bent on eradicating the arts in all its forms out of schools and higher education.
Oh here I go again
Lp12, Ekos se, radikal, kore, Krystal, Trampoline 2
and Mr Swains fairy dust.
Nap250,Nac82,High cap plus other Naim black and olive.
Tomorrow we enter the town of my birth, I want to be ready.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer