The HiFi Kabin has been optimised for Firefox, the fast and secure web browser. : Download Firefox

Tune Dem Revisited

You mean there's more to HiFi than a LP12?

Moderator: The Kurators

Red Chris

Re: Tune Dem Revisited

Post by Red Chris » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:43 am

I sometimes feel the "the Tune" has lost its some of efficacy, as too frequently it seems to be a tool to wrongly bash anything non-Linn - as if no-one else could possibly produce anything with merit.

My view is that Tune Dem is a useful tool but it will lose credibility if people use it disingenuously.
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

Donuk

Re: Tune Dem Revisited

Post by Donuk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:24 am

I have wrestled with tune dem over the years and have reached an understanding of what they are getting at.
Personally I think it is of limited use and should be employed perhaps when all else fails.

I think the greatest danger is that people use it as an absolute measure and use it to justify their prejudices.
For example "I know this mod is better - it must be - I tune demmed it. You are wrong because you didn't."

Use sparingly. Use as a starting point. Let your emotions rule. For me the best way to judge a system is to simply regularly go to concerts and live recitals. Then you have something to judge music by.

One sometimes wonders how the other great makes of hifi have managed to produce their goods without it.

Just my two pence worth.

Donuk

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer