Powering Equipment

You mean there's more to HiFi than a LP12?

Moderator: The Kurators

How do you power your system?

Its on 24/7
68%
Its on when I am going to listen
16%
Both (and please explain why)
16%

Total votes: 19

Scooter

Re: Powering Equipment

Post by Scooter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:46 pm

Pediatrik wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:36 pm
Sorry to be a newb on the off topic subject, but what do a power conditioner do presumably? :smt017

They stabilise your electric supply plus (well the one have) gives protection with power surges. Listen to your music late in the evening and see if it sounds better. I put it down, at first, to the system being warmed up to optimum. Where you live you may have a stable power supply so you may not need one.
"Never has so much been lost by so many, to satisfy so few"

Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:12 pm

I’ve always thought that the power supply was out of my hands Keith. I haven’t got a clue if it is stable or not... The only thing I know is that our geothermal heat pump going on/off definitely affects the rest of the electric power in the house. I guess the Hifi would be better without it, but this time of the year it would be frickin cold... :?
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Klimax Exakt DSM/0, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

LD100

Post by LD100 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:14 pm

Scooter wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:46 pm
Where you live you may have a stable power supply so you may not need one.

Indeed, in Northeastern Illinois, the 60 hz cycle is rock steady, but the hash from all the factories, airports, street lights etc., etc. causes a (pardon the pun) night and day difference in your listening pleasure.
To make day time listening more enjoyable, my system uses a isolation transformer that literally isolates my hi-fi from the grid through a rather large and heavy transformer. Voltage spike protection is also included for protection from surges on the grid. Happy to report that in 30 some years of using this protection, I have not had any damage from nearby lighting strikes or power line surges. Well worth the money. :smt023 :smt020 :smt023 :smt020

Running two 20 amp 120 volt dedicated lines just for my hi-fi has eliminated the rest of the house lights from dimming to the music. xss35
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:29 pm

The conditioner I have is American by a company called Furman. It takes all the problems of things starting, stopping, etc on the mains away. I don't understand the technical aspects other than it works. One of the things I like about it is it uses one plug on the mains and then supplies my three outlets. So I no longer need 4 way extension leads etc. I don't know what your supply is like but here it can be up and down. For example we have a soap on TV here and it was a known fact that during the advertising break there was a power surge as everyone watching it put the kettles on, then the surge would drop as the kettles went off. So the conditioner deals with the supply to keep it steady. I have also been told that they are used a lot for medical equipment and there are some good suppliers of conditioners in the medical field.

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:31 pm

LD100 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:14 pm
Scooter wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:46 pm
Where you live you may have a stable power supply so you may not need one.

Indeed, in Northeastern Illinois, the 60 hz cycle is rock steady, but the hash from all the factories, airports, street lights etc., etc. causes a (pardon the pun) night and day difference in your listening pleasure.
To make day time listening more enjoyable, my system uses a isolation transformer that literally isolates my hi-fi from the grid through a rather large and heavy transformer. Voltage spike protection is also included for protection from surges on the grid. Happy to report that in 30 some years of using this protection, I have not had any damage from nearby lighting strikes or power line surges. Well worth the money. :smt023 :smt020 :smt023 :smt020

Running two 20 amp 120 volt dedicated lines just for my hi-fi has eliminated the rest of the house lights from dimming to the music. xss35

I have only encountered a power failure/surge once about three weeks ago and the conditioner handled it really good. When it happened I was concerned that it would have done some damage but no everything was fine.

LD100

Post by LD100 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:42 pm

Scooter wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:29 pm
The conditioner I have is American by a company called Furman.

Indeed, Furman is a well respected company. My 30 year old isolation transformer is made by Tripp lite and was designed to protect computer servers. Also in the mix is a Panamax line conditioner/surge suppressor.
I'm sure there are nicer devices available today, but I'm scared as to what the price would be! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

timster

Post by timster » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:07 am

Mine is on/standby 24/7. But, I turn it all off when away, even if for one night only.
If the power switches of my amps and sub were on the front I'd probably turn them off overnight.
I am experimenting with WakeOnLan for my NAS's. Currently they are on/hibernating 24/7 but would like to put them to bed overnight or when not in use. Just need to figure out how to make sure they're awake for scheduled backups.
♫ ♫ Linn Akurate Exakt DSM->Akurate Exaktbox10/Kat->Majik 6100+2100->Majik 140+alu stands + REL T5 subBass ♫ ♫

grimreaper46

Post by grimreaper46 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 pm

I have considered something for the Power Supply conditioning for a while but there is a lot of very confusing information.

The first thing is that, as far as I am aware not much (any) Electronic equipment works of 240V 50 Hz supply. Their power supplies do, but then convert to lower, usually DC feeds. Now, for example Russ Andrews will lend you a Mains analyser and then you send the results back and they design a Conditioner to match your situation. I would say however that what needs measuring is if when an aberration occurs at the Mains level it shows through onto the DC side. As far as I am aware nobody has done this. Too me this means that whilst the quality of your Mains Supply is important the quality of the equipment Power Supply is much more important.

Spike protection is a different thing. Spikes can be devastating but really should have nothing to do with the Mains Supplier as they will protect their equipment and hence yours from spikes. However what they can't protect from is spikes that enter the system downstream (i.e. Lightning strikes) and hence some domestic protection could be beneficial.

I have read many reviews of Mains "Conditioners" ( I include the parenthesis as some do and some don't condition!). For source equipment I have read a number of positive reviews, whereas for Power Equipment (Amps) I have read very many mixed reviews. A number say that the Conditioner cannot supply enough peak power for transient's and hence seem to "suck out" performance.

The problem with reviews of this type of equipment is injecting an "aberration" into the Mains Supply as a controlled input, and then detecting any difference/improvement. Not sure your Mains Supplier would be over happy with this.

If you detect an improvement all the time when switching a Conditioner in, I would suggest there is something more fundamentally wrong with your supply and this should be reported to the supplier.

None of the above means that I am not open to trying out some form of Conditioning. However cost can vary from a few pounds (not really a conditioner even if advertised as such) to many £000's. Add to that things like a separate mains spur, balanced mains supply etc. and it really is a minefield.

Most of the UK has quite good Mains Supply and Conditioners may or may not be significant. Again how good your equipment's power supplies are will also make a big difference.

Chris Brooks I know recommends Furman, which has a good reputation and has been around for a long time. The Furman Ac 210 A E is about £190

Some of the other products I have looked at are:

Adam Hall PCL 10 Pro Power Conditioner at about £180

But there are dozens on the market. Unfortunately if you approach dealers who "recommend" them it will be the expensive (many thousands of pounds) versions they quote.

Then of course don't get me started on mains leads, special mains plugs, fuses even the ubiquitous "Smartie" (non linear resistor) at about 20p.

Oh stuff it back to the LP12......
LP12 (now with the special Peter Swain magic touch and a Kore and T-Cable) for analogue, Majik Aktiv System for digital

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory

Live Long And Prosper

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:41 pm

I leave mine powered on 24x7, except for long periods away from home or thunderstorms, as I am convinced it sounds better that way.

Interestingly, even though it is left on it sounds better after a couple of LPs which may be due to the deck, speakers or other components warming up or may be my brain relaxing and enjoying the performance....

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:58 pm

Something which has been discussed on the Naim Audio forum on occasions is the practice of turning the power amp off for a short period and then turning on again. For some reason, even after being turned off for just a minute or so it does appear to sound a bit fresher. I think it is suggested that this should be repeated every three months or so. If your amps have been on for some lengthy continuous period, give it a try. I'd be interested to hear what other Kabineers think of this.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer