Lyra cartridges

You mean there's more to HiFi than a LP12?

Moderators: The Krew, The Kurators

BEV

Lyra cartridges

Post by BEV »

Lyra cart
Hi all thinking of changing my cartridge from AT to a Lyra so if anyone has one in use and what does it sound like compared to top end MC carts. It will fitted town SME ARM So wondering if it will need any additional weight added? Thanks
Brian
LD100

Re: Lyra cartridges

Post by LD100 »

I wouldn't think any additional weight would be necessary...my AT-OC9ML/II weighs 8.0 grams, my Lyra Kleos SL is 8.8 grams. The AT-ART1000 is 11 grams, but a SME Series V tonearm's range is from 4.2 to 18.0 grams; another SME arm tops out at 12.0 grams so you should be OK.
I have used Lyra cartridges for over the last 12 years, first a Argo, now a Kleos SL and have had no problems.
Just sounds like music, nothing added, nothing removed. :smt020

Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
BEV

Post by BEV »

Thank you
Red Chris

Post by Red Chris »

I am a big fan of Lyra cartridges and I currently use a Lyra Kleos SL in an Aro.

I think that it is the sweet spot in quality v cost (although I have not heard the new Lambdas) and in an Aro, in an equivalent system to mine, in a shoot-out I preferred it to the various alternatives that we tried.

I have had about 500 hours use on my current cartridge and it is sublime - imho obviously.
Cymbiosis Tangerine LP12 Karousel Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Urika/Chord Sarum T, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is very Naim and Kudos
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer