Garbage In Garbage Out

You mean there's more to HiFi than a LP12?

Moderators: The Krew, The Kurators

On the vinyl

Re: Garbage In Garbage Out

Post by On the vinyl »

Caveat is that if I had a streamer /internet radio device I would’ve been able to hear my eldest doing an interview on local radio that was highlighting new bands unfortunately that didn’t happen so I missed out on a special moment.
Let that be a lesson to me . :smt009
Lp12, Ekos se, radikal, kore, Cirkus ,Krystal, Trampoline 2
and Mr Swains fairy dust.
Nap135’s,Nac82, supercap plus other Naim black and olive.
Shahinian obelisks
Tomorrow we enter the town of my birth, I want to be ready.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

On the vinyl wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:12 pm
Caveat is that if I had a streamer /internet radio device I would’ve been able to hear my eldest doing an interview on local radio that was highlighting new bands unfortunately that didn’t happen so I missed out on a special moment.
Let that be a lesson to me . :smt009
When I bought the Akubariks the DS became the pre-amp and I never opted for inputs so the tuner went. It's something I've not followed up on.
Was your eldest on the BBC local radio? If so then you can usually catch it on the sounds app on iplayer on your laptop depending how long ago it was.
“We've got to stay strong, we’ve got to stay home, and stay together, and settle on the fact that it's probably going to be a pretty long walk home.” Bruce Springsteen April 2020

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 »

Very interesting reading from a lot of different points of view - great to see so many fellow Kabineers getting involved ...... :smt023

I don't actually worry about what is the best way to listen to musical reproduction - I have always gone on what I like the sound of to my ears and how much I enjoy it ...... no it's more than enjoyment, its about how much I can loose my self in what I'm hearing. Keith mentioned about music being an important way to relieve stress - right on brother ...... :smt023 ......... Where I have ended up is where I'm achieving that ........ :smt020 ....... Having over 1,000 albums in the formats I use somewhat means that I won't be worrying about looking at something else ....... but never say never - Who knows what the future holds ............. :roll:

What I do know is that sources of any type improve over time with development - this will continue to happen with streaming as well. I would also say that we are all individuals; the choice is yours - we should all live and let live. What matters to me is that people enjoy what they listen to - there is a whole world of wonderful music out there. You won't have any chance of finding it if you don't listen - the listening is the most important thing. Even if that is from a phone ............... :smt023

Just realized that I have not answered the original question - I should go into politics .............. :smt005
LP12 - Klimax Radikal/Urika, Karousel, Keel, Karmen, Ekos SE, Skale, Kandid
CD Player - dCS Puccini CD Player + Scarlatti Master Clock
Amps - KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D)
Speakers - ProAc Response D2's
Cables - Chord Sarum Super Arrays + Chord Signature speaker cable

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Off subject slightly but nearly on. Yesterday a Hendrix track (the wind cries Mary) came on the radio and it started my thoughts. One thing I said is about the old sound and one thing I think has changed (hopefully some of you may correct me) is that the old valve guitar amps had a lovely clean sound. I know it can be replicated in Garage Studio on Apple but those old amps sounded lovely. Is it that the amps have changed or do musicians try to distort the sound. Jason Isbell took a bit of stick on his new album for sounding too much like Dire Straits, but it’s the sound he wanted and he attained it. The guitar on the Hendrix track sounded smooth and yet he was known for distortion. I’ve often listened to old recording and thought how good the guitars sounded compared to today. Maybe it’s the sound I was used to.
“We've got to stay strong, we’ve got to stay home, and stay together, and settle on the fact that it's probably going to be a pretty long walk home.” Bruce Springsteen April 2020

On the vinyl

Post by On the vinyl »

Scooter wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:56 pm
Off subject slightly but nearly on. Yesterday a Hendrix track (the wind cries Mary) came on the radio and it started my thoughts. One thing I said is about the old sound and one thing I think has changed (hopefully some of you may correct me) is that the old valve guitar amps had a lovely clean sound. I know it can be replicated in Garage Studio on Apple but those old amps sounded lovely. Is it that the amps have changed or do musicians try to distort the sound. Jason Isbell took a bit of stick on his new album for sounding too much like Dire Straits, but it’s the sound he wanted and he attained it. The guitar on the Hendrix track sounded smooth and yet he was known for distortion. I’ve often listened to old recording and thought how good the guitars sounded compared to today. Maybe it’s the sound I was used to.
Think what you may be describing is the “Analogue”
You may recall I wrote about this very subject and referred to the studio in which I was working , all the techies there were committed to the sound your talking about. If I could show you some of the photos of the valve amps they have which all have their individual signature sound you would wet yourself also they had over £2,000,000
of guitars, originals that also have “their sound” so yes I totally agree with your findings.
If I could add, my daughters both play live and both record in studios, the sound from the musicians is great analogue music, when it goes through the desk (digitally) it loses something, I’ve been there and witnessed it.
You know what, if music sounds good to ones ears then it’s good no matter how it’s displayed but I know what side of the fence I sit on.( he says with a streamer on the way).
Incidentally that studio I was referring to is going to release vinyl as it will cut direct to disc ala “Sheffield labs”.
So hail the new king.
Shahinian obelisks

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I guessed that was the answer but I listen to the tone of say Hendrix's guitar live at Monterey and I think it sounds lovely. Don't seem to hear that any more.

On the vinyl

Post by On the vinyl »

Scooter wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:11 pm
I guessed that was the answer but I listen to the tone of say Hendrix's guitar live at Monterey and I think it sounds lovely. Don't seem to hear that any more.
Yeah I know
Just feel blessed that you have heard it and know the difference.
I reckon the sound is out there I mean the first album of the blues pills has a lovely analogue sound and use valve amps live or used to.
Fantastic band live by the way.
Shahinian obelisks

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer