Kudos Klub

You mean there's more to HiFi than a LP12?

Moderators: The Krew, The Kurators

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Re: Kudos Klub

Post by dan steel »

Coyote Jim wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:22 pm
Mr Onion wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:48 pm My Super 20's are ~6" from the wall, so exactly where you are talking about. My Keilish were further into the room, so its going to be down to experimentation (as usual)

Listen to the X3 and Super 20's and decide. I know Jim and Jim love theirs, but the 20's are better. Again, your choice (but I know what mine would be) Try with your amp though as Coyote Jims are LINN and other jim and I am NAIM.
image.jpeg On the subject of distance. 8) :smt023
No Father Ted required. :smt005

Are they slightly turned in Jim. 8)
LINN - LP12 - Radikal - Urika - Keel - Karousel - EkosSE/1 - Kandid - Collaro Audio mat, Linn Mat
NAIM - CD5si - Supernait 3, HiCap DR
KUDOS X3 - Speakers
KUDOS KS-1 - Speaker cable
FOCAL Elegia - Headphones
AKG K-702 - Headphones
DIY - Solid oak rack
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

dan steel wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:49 pm
Mr Onion wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:48 pm My Super 20's are ~6" from the wall, so exactly where you are talking about. My Keilish were further into the room, so its going to be down to experimentation (as usual)

Listen to the X3 and Super 20's and decide. I know Jim and Jim love theirs, but the 20's are better. Again, your choice (but I know what mine would be) Try with your amp though as Coyote Jims are LINN and other jim and I am NAIM.

Yes Dan.
In old money 3.5"inside - 4"outside toe in. 8) :smt023
Turntable - LP12, Cirkus, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal, Urika.
Amplifier - Linn Majik I Integrated Dynamik.
CD Player - Linn Majik CD.
Speakers - Kudos X3.
Cables - Linn Silvers & K200 Black.
Support - Target TT4.
dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel »

Coyote Jim wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:32 pm
dan steel wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:49 pm

Yes Dan.
In old money 3.5"inside - 4"outside toe in. 8) :smt023

Nice one.. :smt023
LINN - LP12 - Radikal - Urika - Keel - Karousel - EkosSE/1 - Kandid - Collaro Audio mat, Linn Mat
NAIM - CD5si - Supernait 3, HiCap DR
KUDOS X3 - Speakers
KUDOS KS-1 - Speaker cable
FOCAL Elegia - Headphones
AKG K-702 - Headphones
DIY - Solid oak rack
Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion »

Mine are toed by ½" as well :smt023
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Karousel, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
NAIM CD 5si with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's
Billz

Post by Billz »

If I get myself a pair of Kudos speakers with only one set of inputs, what is the best way to connect my Akurate 4200 to them using my K400 cables?

Bill.
The man with no naim.

Main System: Akurate ADSM/3, Akurate 4200 with Aktive Cards, Keilidhs with Hiquphon Tweeters. Silver IC and K400.
Second Systems: RasperryPi with HiFiberry DAC into Classik and Kans. Blacks and K200.
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

Billz wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:02 pm If I get myself a pair of Kudos speakers with only one set of inputs, what is the best way to connect my Akurate 4200 to them using my K400 cables?

Bill.

Bill,
Can't use four channels into two so only use one pair of channels on the amp and the other end into the speakers.
It's much more tidy if you do what I did and cut the K400 up the middle to make what is known as K200 black.
Then it's a simple two channels of power.
Probably a better idea is sell the 4200 and get a 2200 instead.
Single wired to the Kudos.
Sorted. 8) :smt023
Speakers - Kudos X3.
Support - Target TT4.
Billz

Post by Billz »

Thanks Jim, I thought that would be the case. My 4200 is only a few months old, so probably not going to get a good deal selling it, although it does have active cards installed, so maybe get something for them as well.

I am still trying to get my head around going back to non-active, non-biwire, etc., but I can understand the Kudos approach of less is more.

Bill.
The man with no naim.

Main System: Akurate ADSM/3, Akurate 4200 with Aktive Cards, Keilidhs with Hiquphon Tweeters. Silver IC and K400.
Second Systems: RasperryPi with HiFiberry DAC into Classik and Kans. Blacks and K200.
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

It's not just the Kudos way of thinking I did the same when I had my 109s had them bi wired then single wired pos to Supertweeter and neg to Bass with the links back in place and it was more together and musical it was after those I got the Kudos X3s
I used to have a Kairn and two LK280 amps and two Sparks and Kan II each Channel and half a spark just went to one drive unit. :smt020
It was very dynamic and interesting but again going through all the electronics just lost musicality.
Less is more. 8) :smt023
Speakers - Kudos X3.
Support - Target TT4.
Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion »

With the Keilidh's I went from single wire (NAC 4 with the Keilidh plates) to bi wire (Chord Rumour) back to single wire (Kimber 8TC with Kimber Jumpers) Although I enjoyed the ChordBi Wire I always felt that there was something missing,

No such dilemma with the Kudos. :smt023

If you decide to go the Kudos route I agree with Jim. Sell the 4200 and cards and get a 2200 (or better)
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Karousel, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
NAIM CD 5si with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's
Edb

Post by Edb »

Billz wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:11 pm Might be a few months away but I am contemplating a speaker upgrade from my active Keilihds. I like what you guys are saying about Kudos speakers and will certainly give them a listen. I have an ADSM and Akurate 4200 amp. What is the model I should be contemplating as a replacement to my beloved Keilidhs? Also, what do I do about the active cards in my amp? Do I remove them and bi-amp the Kudos speakers?

Bill.
Hi Bill,

Sorry to pick up an old thread but I saw you have the 4200 with keilidhs and I was wondering if you would offer up your opinion please?

Basically I have a 4200d with keilidhs that have the hiquiphon OW1-92's installed, I originally used the Keilidhs with a classik as a pre and a klout and was so impressed with the improvements that the OW1-92's bought to sound....... However I have now connected the same keilidhs to a majik dsm and 4200d bi amped and I'm really disappointed! The sound is super harsh and fatiguing and I feel that the bass is far less than before. The room is totally different but the speakers are setup properly but I just don't enjoy the sound at all. Oh, I have disabled the internal power amp in the dsm FYI.

I think I'm going to disconnect one of the treble resistors to reduce the treble as a first port of call. I'm also going to try the klout with the dsm and see if that reverts the sound back a bit.......

Did you find that the keilidhs were too bright in passive mode with the 4200d?

Many thanks in advance for you thoughts...

Cheers,

Ed
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer