QNAP Updates

You mean there's more to HiFi than a LP12?

Moderators: The Krew, The Kurators

Scooter

QNAP Updates

Post by Scooter »

I don’t know how many on here own QNAP NAS’s but there have been a lot of QNAP updates recently. On another forum there is talk that they have been hit by malware and virus. So the updates are to do with these attacks. So if you have a QNAP NAS then check for the updates and another timely reminder to have backups just in case.
One clown gone, now need to get rid of our clown.
Pediatrik

Re: QNAP Updates

Post by Pediatrik »

I’ve read about the QNAP issues Keith, but fortunately I’m running a Synology NAS.

Interestingly I’ve recently read that the SQ/musicality of the streaming service (Qobuz, Tidal and so on) markedly improves if there is no NAS on the network. I haven’t done an A/B test myself, but it would be rather easy to do if you can ask someone to pull the Ethernet cable to the NAS between tracks. When the Klimax DS first was released it was argued that the SQ/musicality from a NAS was way better than streaming from the internet. Since then I guess that internet speed, hardware/software solutions at the streaming companies and so on have improved.

Maybe a NAS is a thing of the past and the future is streaming only? There is one obvious drawback with this approach and that is the fact that music that used to be available on your service might disappear (several high profile artists have on occasion had their content removed from various streaming services, and no doubt large swaths of lesser known content come and go as the controlling agreements end or change)...
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Klimax Exakt DSM/0, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Pediatrik wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:06 am I’ve read about the QNAP issues Keith, but fortunately I’m running a Synology NAS.

Interestingly I’ve recently read that the SQ/musicality of the streaming service (Qobuz, Tidal and so on) markedly improves if there is no NAS on the network. I haven’t done an A/B test myself, but it would be rather easy to do if you can ask someone to pull the Ethernet cable to the NAS between tracks. When the Klimax DS first was released it was argued that the SQ/musicality from a NAS was way better than streaming from the internet. Since then I guess that internet speed, hardware/software solutions at the streaming companies and so on have improved.

Maybe a NAS is a thing of the past and the future is streaming only? There is one obvious drawback with this approach and that is the fact that music that used to be available on your service might disappear (several high profile artists have on occasion had their content removed from various streaming services, and no doubt large swaths of lesser known content come and go as the controlling agreements end or change)...
I’ll try disconnecting the NAS, as you say it’s only unplugging the Ethernet cable. In all honesty I can hardly tell any difference between Qobuz and the NAS music especially as more 24 bit is becoming available on Qobuz. As Grimreapee used to say on the Linn forums “it’s just 1 & 0 getting passed on a cable”. My biggest worry about streaming only is new artists. Over the last year I have definitely started buying from Bandcamp more. The latest kickback against streaming here is Spotify announcing they are putting the price up by £2 a month within days of one of the Spotify owners saying he wanted to buy Arsenal football club.
Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik »

Scooter wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:02 pm
Pediatrik wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:06 am I’ve read about the QNAP issues Keith, but fortunately I’m running a Synology NAS.

I’ll try disconnecting the NAS, as you say it’s only unplugging the Ethernet cable. In all honesty I can hardly tell any difference between Qobuz and the NAS music especially as more 24 bit is becoming available on Qobuz. As Grimreapee used to say on the Linn forums “it’s just 1 & 0 getting passed on a cable”. My biggest worry about streaming only is new artists. Over the last year I have definitely started buying from Bandcamp more. The latest kickback against streaming here is Spotify announcing they are putting the price up by £2 a month within days of one of the Spotify owners saying he wanted to buy Arsenal football club.
In my system I find the difference between Qobuz and NAS rather big. It's pretty obvious when I purchase and download albums that I've been streaming before. I've taken it as proof that streaming from NAS is superior to streaming from Qobuz, but I might be mistaken...
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Klimax Exakt DSM/0, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Pediatrik wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:48 pm
Scooter wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:02 pm

In my system I find the difference between Qobuz and NAS rather big. It's pretty obvious when I purchase and download albums that I've been streaming before. I've taken it as proof that streaming from NAS is superior to streaming from Qobuz, but I might be mistaken...
I don't find too much difference but this could be my age, also I worked in a noisy environment for 40 years. Although ten years ago before I retired I had a full medical and my hearing was above average for my age. That shocked me considering all the live shows I had attended. I did get worried once when we came out from seeing the who and everyones ears were ringing but mine.
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer