New Kabin social - Norfolk

Please do be polite and don't spill my beer

Moderator: The Kurators

Red Chris

Re: New Kabin social - Norfolk

Post by Red Chris » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:07 pm

FangfossFlyer wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:25 pm
Very interesting as whilst I have not sat down and really listened to Linn amps for some while my memory is that they definitely have a different sound character to that of Naim.

Richard - their character was very different and the presentation changed with the listening position too. Closer to the speakers the Naim older school amps could be borderline too "in yer face".

As I mostly use "black" rather than olive or CB Naims in my main system I thought that I might have been more ambivalent but no, I am truly a Naim fanboy - even without an Aro in sight.
Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Krystal - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim Chord and Kudos 8)

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:01 pm

As a Linny can I just add that I would make one exception.

A Naim Statement :smt005

Heard one for the first time a few weeks ago with a KDS Katalyst and Kudos 808’s. Oh boy was it good :smt023
Well Keeled :smt020

Wenge1

Post by Wenge1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:52 pm

A good day was had by all and many thanks to James for hosting the event and to Steve for helping out with the organising.

Everybody was in agreement about the performance of the Twin vs. Akurate amp comparison. I kept quiet about my thoughts until the other lads had had their say. After all I could perhaps have had expectation bias over that one since it was my Twin that was 'performing'. But have no fear, the difference was obvious and everyone heard it ........ :smt023 .

I will leave the Linn vs Naim with all those that want to comment. Suffice to say that I prefer Linn Klimax amplification, since that is the route I have happily gone down, especially for extended listening. The Naim amplification has a real wallop to it that I personally find fatiguing after awhile. For many others the sheer presence of the Naim sound represents the very essence of their system. It comes down to personal preference ............ :smt020

Roger's shelf performed really well on the cup and balls; I shall be getting one for sure ............... 8)

Finally, the Hank Marvin album I bought along with me for possible use providing the odd comparison track or two went down a storm. Several of the Kabineers could be seen tapping away on their phones and ordering it on Amazon Prime ......... :smt023
Last edited by Wenge1 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:54 pm

James - Why don't you arrange a home dem for the Statements / Kudos 808s?
Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Krystal - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim Chord and Kudos 8)

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:02 pm

Wenge1 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:52 pm
Everybody was in agreement about the performance of the Twin vs. Akurate amp comparison. I kept quiet about my thoughts until the other lads had had their say. After all I could perhaps have had expectation bias over that one since it was my Twin that was 'performing'......... :roll: But have no fear, the difference was obvious.
Adam - as I think I said on Saturday - the Twin v Akurate was the clearest obvious straight line all round improvement.

shellspeed

Post by shellspeed » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:07 pm

Choking as I type Chris :smt005
Well Keeled :smt020

Wenge1

Post by Wenge1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:11 pm

Red Chris wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:02 pm
Wenge1 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:52 pm
Everybody was in agreement about the performance of the Twin vs. Akurate amp comparison. I kept quiet about my thoughts until the other lads had had their say. After all I could perhaps have had expectation bias over that one since it was my Twin that was 'performing'......... :roll: But have no fear, the difference was obvious.
Adam - as I think I said on Saturday - the Twin v Akurate was the clearest obvious straight line all round improvement.

That's a bit peculiar, that's what I meant to say ................ perhaps it was not obvious in my statement. I shall change it a bit .... :D
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

The Flatearther

Post by The Flatearther » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:49 pm

First thank you to James and Sam for hosting us.
The day started with Roger and Eddie picking me up which was so very kind and thoughtful and saved me having to drive at night. So a big, big thank you to you guys.
Once at James we had a meet and greet and it was delightful to reacquaint the group.

So we played some albums which we had brought along allowing everyone to aquatint themselves with James' Briks which sounded just lovely. Musical, engaging and enjoyable.

After a few albums we swapped out the Akurate for the Twin. This produced a lovely musical sound and was a big improvement sounding more tuneful relaxed and with a sweeter tone. No contest.

Next we swapped over to the Naim 52-Supercap-NAP250. The sound was instantly more dynamic and we had to get a db level meter loaded to make sure the levels of both Amps were matched. Even matched, the difference was the same, the Naim was simply more dynamic. However, the KDSM-Twin sounded sweeter and had a very tuneful sound.
It was no surprise that the Naimies preferred Naim and the Linnies preferred the Linn. Now a fly in the ointment. The Urika had balanced outputs to connect to the KDSM but the Naim does not so I had had to construct a balanced to unbalanced lead based on an old Cord Chrysallis. This undoubtedly did not help the Naims perform at their best. The Chrysalis leads of old were very musical but a little bright. So it's important to take this factor into account. Secondly, the KDSM and Twin are the top of the Linn tree (excepting Solos). Whereas the much older Naims sit nowadays in the middle of the range and it's been a long time since they were serviced, and they also prefer Naim speaker cable and not the K200. A modern 552 and 500 would in my opinion slam dunk the Linn Amps which I felt were just too laid back for me. Back home connected to my Prefix LP12 The Naim combo was as sweet as a nut through my Briks with even more increased dynamics. But that said the Klimax Twin combo was very enjoyable.

So we next swapped out the racks and boards and Fraim glass vs Non Fraim toughened glass on Naim balls and cups. There is no doubt that Naim glass was superior and it had more of a ring to it when rapped. But when the Tiger Paw thick board replaced the glass it blew all of them away and was clearly the most musical. This confirmed my expectations having tested all the combos at home and being a TP board user in my own rack. I had hoped for more from the Mana'erd SO stand but it was not until we packed away that I discovered I had not locked the bottom spikes which need to be tight. Doooh!

More vinyl.

Next we swapped out the Chord Sarum power cord for the cord on the Klimax. Not sure which lead that was was Adam was using but it wasn't a Linn one. The Sarum was a bit of a shock, at least until James blindsided everyone! Good one buddy. LOL

Time for a chinese.

More vinyl but this time through a Naim Nait. An old un but gold un!

Finally it was time to to say farewell. Then we set off.

But there was one surprise waiting for me. When we got back to my house at midnight Eddie headed straight for my Fender Strat, I didn't realise I was being blind sided as I jammed with Eddie on the Ovation, because Roger was next door in the living room secretly fitting a Tranquility to my deck. What a fantastic thing to do. My wife and I could not believe how wonderful the LP12 sounded when we listened the next day. Thanks guys!

So another wonderful Kabin Social.

Thanks to James and Sam, to all who came and to all who made the bake offs possible and especially Roger and Eddie you cunning pair of beggars!

See you all next month for the Linn HQ Social with David Williamson.

Wenge1

Post by Wenge1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:37 pm

The Flatearther wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:49 pm
A modern 552 and 500 would in my opinion slam dunk the Linn Amps

Worth pointing out though that it would also involve a huge price hike. The latest NAP 500 power amp retails at just over £20,000. The Linn Klimax Twin retails around £7,700. The 552 is also around £20,000 and is a pre amp whereas the KDSM is whole lot more than a pre amp. In these cases it really is a one of paying your money and taking your choice ................ :smt023

dCS Puccini CD Player

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 am

The Flatearther wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:49 pm
<snip>But there was one surprise waiting for me. When we got back to my house at midnight Eddie headed straight for my Fender Strat, I didn't realise I was being blind sided as I jammed with Eddie on the Ovation, because Roger was next door in the living room secretly fitting a Tranquility to my deck. What a fantastic thing to do. My wife and I could not believe how wonderful the LP12 sounded when we listened the next day. Thanks guys!<snip>

Top man that Roger :smt023
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, Kore, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Trampolin2, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII, HoL Mat

Lots of black boxes connected with bits of damp string.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer