Roon? no thanks

Please do be polite and don't spill my beer

Moderator: The Kurators

wiltshireman

Roon? no thanks

Post by wiltshireman » Wed May 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi all. Yesterday I decided to end my free trial of Roon. I had not enjoyed the experience infact I found it all very irritating full of things to press that didn't enhance my listening pleasure at all infact I am so glad to go back to good old kazoo which does everything I want to it to do. if it was free I would not prefer it either but to pay £100 a year let alone a one off payment of £300 that was not something that was ever going to happen.

I realise that some here think it's fantastic, my b in l for one, but for me it was not. Anyone else here found it something that they soon abandoned?
Linn Keltik system using newly serviced LK100's x4, LP12, Simon Price oak plinth, Lingo3, Ittok, Linn T arm cable, DV 20XII + Infinity, Cirkus bearing, Arcam Rphono, Akurate DSII, Innios Zen server.

Gregg A.

Re: Roon? no thanks

Post by Gregg A. » Thu May 16, 2019 6:47 am

I tried Roon and liked it very much. My Melco server does not support Roon so I didn’t go for it.
It’s very expensive tough.

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Thu May 16, 2019 7:20 am

Not tried it and at the price I don’t think I will. I have Qobuz and using the app on my laptop I can get a lot of album info from there. I know people seem to love it but I honestly cannot see the point of it. I also believe I would have to install it on SSD connected via USB to my NAS. I’m not that technical inclined.
"Doomed. We're doomed I'll tell ye"

MHmusic

Post by MHmusic » Thu May 16, 2019 9:28 am

Having been a long time B&W subscriber I received an extended free trial of Roon and I am halfway through that now. There are some very nice ideas in it (very reminiscent of the defunct free MP3 player called Songbird and all of its addons but glued together and with their own content. I was gutted when Songbird disappeared but things have moved on. It's huge selling point for me is that you can navigate its Qobuz section and send direct to the Linn to play/control but their Qobuz implementation isn't a patch on the Qobuz app (for me) and weekly updates seem slow/late. It's lyrics feature is useful too for me because I always struggle with hearing them. So I can see why it suits some people but I struggle to relate to the almost aggressive passion of their user base and some of their employees. It's fine but not worth arguing about.

I am still a bit bemused by the pricing which I assume is driven by their need to fund the ongoing content. The fans argue it's nothing when you consider the price of the kit but it's not an issue of that. I.e. Because your house costs £1m it doesn't make £1 a sheet toilet paper sensible. The annual sub is steep which I assume is to encourage you to do the lifetime subs. However, I have on 3 previous occasions plumped for lifetime options on music players only to find they have demised and been unusable within 18 mths as the team sell up. It's not a sustainable long term model due to their musical content updates and so it's a gamble subscribers should understand as they commit because it's the products lifetime, not yours :( (although as I age, it morbidly crosses my mind that as time passes these likely align :) :) ) TBH I would put up with that if it was that good but TBH despite extended usage in the first 2 weeks I have gravitated back to using the Qobuz app on windows and Kazoo again. I really like the Qobuz app and when they crack sending music directly to the Linn (upnp/Dlna etc is on hold while they do us launch) I probably would be far happier. The lyrics would be the icing on the cake but I can use SoundHound etc for that. So I will for now stick with Qobuz.

It's likely a subjective thing and would still encourage people to try it but I am pretty sure I won't be subscribing. Maybe if they continue to improve it I will look again but for now it's 'a no from me Bob' as they' say.

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Thu May 16, 2019 6:26 pm

MHmusic wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:28 am
Having been a long time B&W subscriber I received an extended free trial of Roon and I am halfway through that now. There are some very nice ideas in it (very reminiscent of the defunct free MP3 player called Songbird and all of its addons but glued together and with their own content. I was gutted when Songbird disappeared but things have moved on. It's huge selling point for me is that you can navigate its Qobuz section and send direct to the Linn to play/control but their Qobuz implementation isn't a patch on the Qobuz app (for me) and weekly updates seem slow/late. It's lyrics feature is useful too for me because I always struggle with hearing them. So I can see why it suits some people but I struggle to relate to the almost aggressive passion of their user base and some of their employees. It's fine but not worth arguing about.

I am still a bit bemused by the pricing which I assume is driven by their need to fund the ongoing content. The fans argue it's nothing when you consider the price of the kit but it's not an issue of that. I.e. Because your house costs £1m it doesn't make £1 a sheet toilet paper sensible. The annual sub is steep which I assume is to encourage you to do the lifetime subs. However, I have on 3 previous occasions plumped for lifetime options on music players only to find they have demised and been unusable within 18 mths as the team sell up. It's not a sustainable long term model due to their musical content updates and so it's a gamble subscribers should understand as they commit because it's the products lifetime, not yours :( (although as I age, it morbidly crosses my mind that as time passes these likely align :) :) ) TBH I would put up with that if it was that good but TBH despite extended usage in the first 2 weeks I have gravitated back to using the Qobuz app on windows and Kazoo again. I really like the Qobuz app and when they crack sending music directly to the Linn (upnp/Dlna etc is on hold while they do us launch) I probably would be far happier. The lyrics would be the icing on the cake but I can use SoundHound etc for that. So I will for now stick with Qobuz.

It's likely a subjective thing and would still encourage people to try it but I am pretty sure I won't be subscribing. Maybe if they continue to improve it I will look again but for now it's 'a no from me Bob' as they' say.

Good contribution confirming my thoughts and why I haven't gone for it. Thanks.
"Doomed. We're doomed I'll tell ye"

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer