Jolly Boys " and girls " Outing

Please do be polite and don't spill my beer

Moderator: The Kurators

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Jolly Boys " and girls " Outing

Post by Coyote Jim » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:18 pm

We had a very enjoyable day at Linn HQ today very kindly organised by "Cymbiosis" Peter and Linn.
I've visited the factory on quite a few occasions but must say we had a fabulous host by the name of Gordon Inch. :smt023
I must say its the most informative and in depth tour I've ever had nothing was out of bounds " well apart from a peek round the door at the vast R&D department."
Peter was well on hand for some of those more in depth turntable based questions and was obviously well known in the LP12 assembly station on the factory floor and a rare treat was a visit into the tonearm assembly room with its very quiet and clean and very special type of atmosphere given the intricacies of the assembly process and the level of hands on skill is amazing and to think these guys do it every day. :shock:
In fact everything Linn staff assemble or manufacture has a complete birth history right down to all the testing of every product start to finish then tied to the serial number for records and is invaluable when upgrades are available so a check can be made instantly for compatibility.
What struck me the most in the factory is that everyone is multi skilled in different product assembly thus varying the workload and type occasionally not saying that some people's personal skills might be more accustomed to a particular item but the responsibility and pride of each product being completely built by that one person.
Looking around it seemed a very unstressed but very professional working environment.
We did do some listening during the visit mostly between two dem rooms the first having three levels of LP12 set up side by side and all connected to the same DSM so the only difference was the deck spec.
The Majik LP12 was very enjoyable and in realistic terms for most it really is way and above what a turntable starting level is in performance.
After listening to a selection of tracks and then settling in to " tune dem " mode switching up to the Akurate level deck was very obviously more revealing it was simply more of everything.
Then to the Klimax deck and for myself and daughters it was instantly very obvious that the system noise level was greatly reduced giving a more engaging and certainly easier to hear the separation and detail more of everything but not as big a jump than Majik to Akurate level but is certainly the icing on the cake. :smt007
Also being me and having 99.9% of my interest in the fruit box I had to ask the question what's for the deck next. :shock:
This resulted in a face full of contortions and total denial of anything to announce suffice to say like all products it's still in the realms of the R&D department but is far from forgotten about.
So whatever you decide Digital or Analogue then really find a dealer that can give you the most open and complete comparison either between types of source and very importantly in the analogue engineering department is the very best and most experienced hands on touch and special feel for what is right.
We had a great day in a small group and must say it was most enjoyable and uplifting to see that the future still looks great. :wink: 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Re: Jolly Boys " and girls " Outing

Post by dan steel » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:35 am

Glad you and the girls had a great day and it’s sounds like you had a very informative one too. :smt023

P.S - Did you manage to nick me a Kandid. :roll:
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:38 am

Sounds like you had a great time Jim. Thanks for the write up
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:15 am

dan steel wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:35 am
Glad you and the girls had a great day and it’s sounds like you had a very informative one too. :smt023

:smt009 The only Kandid on show was on the dem deck "I think they might have noticed " :smt005
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:21 am

Coyote Jim wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:15 am
dan steel wrote:

:smt009 The only Kandid on show was on the dem deck "I think they might have noticed " :smt005
In Liverpool they would have taken the deck. :smt005 :smt005
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:22 am

Coyote Jim wrote:
dan steel wrote:

That's no good. Besides, you'd have had to nick two! Glad you had a great day out and thanks for the write up..

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:22 am

dan steel wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:21 am
Coyote Jim wrote:
dan steel wrote:

In Liverpool they would have taken the deck. :smt005 :smt005
... and left the Radikal up on bricks
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:32 pm

Nice write up and very intriguing as regards:

“ This resulted in a face full of contortions and total denial of anything to announce suffice to say like all products it's still in the realms of the R&D department but is far from forgotten about.”

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer