Brexit/Touring

Please do be polite and don't spill my beer

Moderators: The Krew, The Kurators

Scooter

Brexit/Touring

Post by Scooter »

This will probably be removed but I am so angry at the clown tonight. Before January a band/musicians could load up a van with their gear and go play anywhere in Europe. This was obviously going to change post Brexit. The EU offered the chance of musicians touring without a visa unhindered. This offer was turned down by the U.K. Today the clown was in front of a select committee being questioned about this. He denied it and said musicians could work in the EU for 90 days out of 180. That is the requirement for tourists and nothing to do with musicians working in the EU. At first when he denied it I thought he was going to say that they wanted a deal which would let musicians have 30 days of touring or such. He hasn’t got a clue of the basics of Brexit. If he didn’t know he should have said. Why does he need to lie? Musicians are now subject to a charge of over £300 for a visa the EU didn’t want. They also will have to document every instrument and bit if kit they take. Lots of musicians are really angry watching him today. Music brings in so much more to this country than fishing, an industry that was one of the principle points of Brexit and so called sovereignty.
One clown gone, now need to get rid of our clown.
Eightiesguy

Re: Brexit/Touring

Post by Eightiesguy »

Scooter wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:17 pm This will probably be removed but I am so angry at the clown tonight. Before January a band/musicians could load up a van with their gear and go play anywhere in Europe. This was obviously going to change post Brexit. The EU offered the chance of musicians touring without a visa unhindered. This offer was turned down by the U.K. Today the clown was in front of a select committee being questioned about this. He denied it and said musicians could work in the EU for 90 days out of 180. That is the requirement for tourists and nothing to do with musicians working in the EU. At first when he denied it I thought he was going to say that they wanted a deal which would let musicians have 30 days of touring or such. He hasn’t got a clue of the basics of Brexit. If he didn’t know he should have said. Why does he need to lie? Musicians are now subject to a charge of over £300 for a visa the EU didn’t want. They also will have to document every instrument and bit if kit they take. Lots of musicians are really angry watching him today. Music brings in so much more to this country than fishing, an industry that was one of the principle points of Brexit and so called sovereignty.
Well said Scooter :smt023 , I'm a retired semi pro musician, 30 years+ under my belt (retired from gigging) I have many friends who tour or work seasonaly in Europe, this along with Covid is making musicians future prospects difficult.

I'll not comment on the politics but the devil is in the detail, focus as always, is/was on who or what is making the most noise.
LP12 Oak / Karousel / Lingo , Alphason HR100S J7 rewire, Dynavector 17D3
Trichord Dino with NCPSU
Marantz NA6006 Streamer
Naim Nac122x / Flatcap / Nap150
Neat Acoustics Elite SX
Cable Tellurium Q Speaker, Townsend Fractal F1 ,DNM Reson, Van der Hul102,
Project Headbox S Sennheiser HD598, Momentum 2,
Sony NWZA 15 Hi Res Walkman
Record Doctor RCM
The Kaptain
Site Admin

Post by The Kaptain »

At present I consider this topic to be keeping on the correct side of "fair comment" but please do not let it stray into political ranting. Should it do so the topic will be deleted without warning.

Thank you.
The man with the big stick
dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel »

It’s not just the musicians who are getting screwed we all will be when Brexit kicks in. My daughter is leading customs team up for a well know container company in wake of the new customs changes. All I can’t say is “WHAT A FCUKING MESS” :smt013
LINN - LP12 - Radikal - Urika - Keel - Karousel - EkosSE/1 - Kandid - Collaro Audio mat, Linn Mat
NAIM - CD5si - Supernait 3, HiCap DR
KUDOS X3 - Speakers
KUDOS KS-1 - Speaker cable
FOCAL Elegia - Headphones
AKG K-702 - Headphones
DIY - Solid oak rack
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I really fear for the musicians at the moment. Covid has stopped a great deal of the working musicians and up and coming musicians from working live. Brexit will not help. One musician I know couldn’t afford to tour his band but would play solo, now he needs to buy a visa but to sell his merchandise (CD’s T shirts, etc) now will need lots of form filling etc. Another mate of mine, who moved to Spain two years ago, has been told he can’t even play in bars for beer money. He used to play in Swedish band when he visited his mate as a guest. Can’t even do that legally.
Eightiesguy

Post by Eightiesguy »

The Musicians Union is lobbying for a Musician Passport. They are looking for 150,000 signatures , currently at @112,000.

Here is the link, we can help https://www.change.org/p/government-par ... ingintheeu

I hope this is viewed as non-political?
Trichord Dino with NCPSU
Marantz NA6006 Streamer
Neat Acoustics Elite SX
Record Doctor RCM
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Eightiesguy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:34 pm The Musicians Union is lobbying for a Musician Passport. They are looking for 150,000 signatures , currently at @112,000.

Here is the link, we can help https://www.change.org/p/government-par ... ingintheeu

Good call, I have already signed it, I should have posted it.
Eightiesguy

Post by Eightiesguy »

Scooter wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:46 pm
Eightiesguy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:34 pm The Musicians Union is lobbying for a Musician Passport. They are looking for 150,000 signatures , currently at @112,000.

Good call, I have already signed it, I should have posted it.
:smt023 Me too, and posted out on other Social networks
Trichord Dino with NCPSU
Marantz NA6006 Streamer
Neat Acoustics Elite SX
Record Doctor RCM
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"Last month, the German govt announced a €2.5bn cancellation fund for events in the second half of 2021. The purpose is to indemnify organisers against upfront costs like booking staff & stage crews & paying deposits to performers." Wouldn't that be nice...

https://www.ft.com/content/9f71dcc7-d12 ... 7c59be6188

Great to see they also consider stage crews, etc.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

This just gets worse...
Culture minister Caroline Dineage confirms that as a result of Brexit, musicians and arts touring in the EU "will be required to check domestic immigration and minister rules for each member states in which they wish to tour."
This may mean that a European visa isn't needed but a visa for each country.
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer