DSM Control Apps

Somewhere to talk about all the 0's and 1's in your equipment
Mtbmarkymark

DSM Control Apps

Post by Mtbmarkymark »

I have just bought a Linn select DSM
i stream from Qobuz and have ripped CD's on a Melco N10 server
I would prefer to use an Andriod Tablet to control things although i do have access to a Windows Laptop if needs be
what software, either linn or not, do people use and why
Cheers
peter@57m

Re: DSM Control Apps

Post by peter@57m »

I use Lumin and the new Linn app both on an Android tablet

Lumin has been my go to app for some time. Worked well on ios as well as Android. I also appreciate that it works on a very old android tablet, don't know how they manage to keep updating it. So many apps use new features which require newer tablets.

I like Lumin as you see a lot on the screen, its very compact, you don't have to scroll from screen to screen. Some people find it too busy but each to their own I guess. Its free, I recommend trying it.

The Linn app has come on a lot on android over the last year and I often use that now. There are some things very Linn specific that you need to do, software udates etc, that its convenient to do with the app. Its also free.

You will also want to use the Manage Systems page of the Linn site through a browser. You setup space, configure inputs, outputs here. You can also do updates etc too.

Play with them see which you like
Billz

Post by Billz »

I have found Roon to be the best addition for a Linn Streamer. Cost is negligible to anyone with Linn gear and the benefits are many. The ARC app, which allows access to you whole library, anywhere on the planet is worth it alone. Forget any nonsense about it not sounding as good, that is utter tosh. If setup correctly, it use Linn streaming and can’t possibly change the sound, just like any other control point.
The man with no Naim.

Main System: Linn Selekt Edition/Organic Power Amp - K400 - Akudorik (passive) + SVS3000 Sub.
Second System: Linn Classik music - K400 - Kans mk2.
Mark57

Post by Mark57 »

I use Bubble DS as my control on my Android phone. Does everything I need.
Linn: Klimax LP12, Klimax System Hub, Exakt Akubariks
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

I used to use Bubble but then once matured the Linn App took over for me.

I only stream So can't imagine any gain spending money of roon or any other control point.
Last edited by Millennial on Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Space Optimisation: Hear the Music, not the Room. Exakt: Precise sound as recorded by the Artist '

All Linn Baby: Akurate Exakt DSM (Hub), Majik Exaktbox-I, K400 Speaker Cable, Exakt M140 Speakers. Linn App.
timster

Post by timster »

Linn app for me.
♫ ♫
Turntable: Rega RP1/Bias 2/Carbon
Digital Music Source: QNAP HS-251+ SilentNAS
Pre-amp/Streamer: Linn Selekt DSM/U
DAC and Digital Xovers: Linn Akurate Exaktbox10/Kat/U
Amplification: Linn Majik 6100+2100/D
Speakers: Linn Majik 140+alu stands (Kudos S20a soon!)
Sub-Bass: REL T5
Sundries: Linn Black Interconnects, AudioQuest Type 4 Speaker Cable
♫ ♫
solanum

Post by solanum »

I use an Android phone (until I finally get around to buying a 7" Android tablet for the job).

My experience is with:
  • Kazoo (now defunct)
  • Linn app
  • BubblesDS (and Bubble upnp)
  • Lumin
  • HiFi Cast (and other upnp apps)
  • Roon
I have also looked at, but haven't tried (as it is IOS only) JPlay.app.

The Linn app is fine, can switch between NAS server (Minimserver in my case) and Qobuz, I find the way Qobuz favourites are handled a bit painful compared to Roon say, but it works.

BubbleDS works in a similar way to the Linn app, but is a bit cleaner and quicker and less like an IOS port. Obviously doesn't have the 'Linn' stuff stuff (firmware update and so on).

Personally, I found Lumin like using a 1990's web browser and hated it, but I haven't looked at it for some time. It is made for their own hardware in the first place.

There are a bunch of upnp apps you can use, which will work with your server and DSM and may or may not work with Qobuz. You can often use these to cast podcasts and the like from your phone to you hifi, which I don't think the Linn app will do.

I resisted Roon in the early days, because it did a rubbish job of classical music and the support mainly relied on other users. However, a couple of years ago I ended up buying it and running with it, in part because it would talk to all my other systems, big and small (via ApplePlay in some cases - not ideal as I have no Apple devices but works transparently).

The key difference between Roon of course is that you have to set up a new (Roon) server, it isn't stand alone. I don't know if you can do it on the Melco, or would need more hardware. It is also expensive (might not be a 'lot' compared with the Linn hardware, but that doesn't necessarily make it easily affordable). However, it does give you total integration between your server and Qobuz and is very configurable, so that you can display your music and process your files/streams however you wish (or not at all). I have it to pick the highest quality stream (local NAS or Qobuz) and not to touch 24 bit files for example. I have rock/pop etc. music display by artist and classical music display by composer.

It also has a bunch of other features, such as new music selection, auto playlists, etc. and will transcode files that the DSM (depending on model) can't play and so on. There really are a massive number of options for stuff it can do. It can be run on a NAS (I do), but the NAS will need some grunt (e.g. Intel CPU, decent amount of RAM) to be usable. Overall, I do think Roon is a much better interface than the others, but it is also a much bigger commitment in many ways.

Finally, if you have access to IOS (although you say you are using Android like me), you could try the JPlay.app it has modelled itself on Roon by the looks of it, but doesn't require a separate server. Looks like a good compromise for Apple users maybe?

Main (all Linn): 80's LP12 (w/ Karousel, Kore, Radikal 1, Trampolin 2, Akito 1, Adikt), AEDSM, AExaktbox6, 2x AV2250/D, Ninka (w/ OW2 tweeters, polymer stands).
Secondary: Yamaha WXAD-10, Linn Majik-I (original LK model), Focal Chora 806 + a Panasonic TV and Sony Blu-Ray player
Others: Yamaha NX-N500; Yamaha MusicCast 50
LSPC

Post by LSPC »

peter@57m wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:27 pm I use Lumin and the new Linn app both on an Android tablet

Lumin has been my go to app for some time. Worked well on ios as well as Android. I also appreciate that it works on a very old android tablet, don't know how they manage to keep updating it. So many apps use new features which require newer tablets.

I like Lumin as you see a lot on the screen, its very compact, you don't have to scroll from screen to screen. Some people find it too busy but each to their own I guess. Its free, I recommend trying it.

The Linn app has come on a lot on android over the last year and I often use that now. There are some things very Linn specific that you need to do, software udates etc, that its convenient to do with the app. Its also free.

You will also want to use the Manage Systems page of the Linn site through a browser. You setup space, configure inputs, outputs here. You can also do updates etc too.

Play with them see which you like
I second these thoughts :smt023 I may lean towards the Linn app now but used Lumin mostly up until Linn sorted there act out last year and find it works very well. Either one works for me .
LP12 Lingo 4 Akito AT5oc5
Linn AEDSM - AEBI Katalyst
Linn M140’s upgraded bases
Chord Odyssey 4 cables
Mtbmarkymark

Post by Mtbmarkymark »

Thanks for the replys I have checked some of them out
BubbleDS just looks like a mildly customized version of BubbleUpnp but with the downside of adverts. The Linn App will have to be part of the solution as it seems to be the only way to access the Linn housekeeping stuff and Space optimization etc. It also seems capable of searching both Qobuz and the Melco simultaneously which none of the others seem to be able to do
Lumin is interesting. Very comprehensive and good sorting of libraries by gender, Artist, Album title etc. Not sure my eyesight will cope with the small font size in the longer term.
I tried Roon a few years ago but didn't like having to have the computer running all the time or waiting for it to boot. Maybe I should revisit.
Linn Select DSM streaming DAC
Melco N10 music server
PS Audio BHK Preamp
ATC Active 50 floorstanders on Townsend podiums
Mark57

Post by Mark57 »

Never noticed any ads in Bubble DS. Maybe because I splashed out £3 or whatever.
Linn: Klimax LP12, Klimax System Hub, Exakt Akubariks
solanum

Post by solanum »

Mark57 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:58 pm Never noticed any ads in Bubble DS. Maybe because I splashed out £3 or whatever.
:smt023

Main (all Linn): 80's LP12 (w/ Karousel, Kore, Radikal 1, Trampolin 2, Akito 1, Adikt), AEDSM, AExaktbox6, 2x AV2250/D, Ninka (w/ OW2 tweeters, polymer stands).
Secondary: Yamaha WXAD-10, Linn Majik-I (original LK model), Focal Chora 806 + a Panasonic TV and Sony Blu-Ray player
Others: Yamaha NX-N500; Yamaha MusicCast 50
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

I'm on Android

Re installed Bubble just to see, nah not for me.

Installed Lumin, kind of like it, has the edge over the Linn app when it comes to presenting content. If I was using a tablet may even consider it.

Linn App though for my mobile as all I want is to find the music hit play and listen.
'Space Optimisation: Hear the Music, not the Room. Exakt: Precise sound as recorded by the Artist '

All Linn Baby: Akurate Exakt DSM (Hub), Majik Exaktbox-I, K400 Speaker Cable, Exakt M140 Speakers. Linn App.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Mtbmarkymark wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:50 pm
The Linn App will have to be part of the solution as it seems to be the only way to access the Linn housekeeping stuff and Space optimization etc.
I think, maybe, that you’re confusing the Linn App with web access to your Linn Account which is what would support these features.

Dave
Klimax LP12, NGKDSM Hub, Klimax 350E Organik
Mtbmarkymark

Post by Mtbmarkymark »

@Moomintroll . Hi Dave. On closer inspection i think you are right. I was using the Linn App on my Tablet. When i click on the link in the App it opens a new tap which presumably is a chrome browser tap. It does it pretty seemlessly which is good from a usability poinbt of view
Melco N10 music server
PS Audio BHK Preamp
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

Quick link to your online linn account.

The two items I use there being

Space Optimisation
Custom Filters

At the risk of becoming a bore (too late!) massive gains to be had here.

Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Mtbmarkymark wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:16 pm @Moomintroll . Hi Dave. On closer inspection i think you are right. I was using the Linn App on my Tablet. When i click on the link in the App it opens a new tap which presumably is a chrome browser tap. It does it pretty seemlessly which is good from a usability poinbt of view
What I meant was, the Linn Account can be accessed through any browser and not just the Linn App link. Just in case you decided to use another control app.

Dave
Klimax LP12, NGKDSM Hub, Klimax 350E Organik
Newton_John

Post by Newton_John »

I was a Roon man, but have recently changed. It has a lot of features that you might find useful. To get it to work best, you really need a dedicated core. I used a NUC running ROCK. Hans Beekhuyzen has three excellent youtube videos on setting up a NUC with ROCK. You don't need a UPnP server like you do with the Linn App and other control points.

However I have to say I disagree with Biltz. Being much more than just a control point, Roon does process the digital data stream. It does affect adversely sound quality in my view. I suggest anybody thinking of using Roon runs it on an existing PC to see if they're happy with the sound before subscribing and getting a dedicated core.

I wasn't so I've changed to JPlay for IOS on an iPad and iPhone which in my view sounds better. It doesn't process data and keeps network traffic to a minimum which is claimed to benefit sound quality. There is a snag. Isn't there always. With my KDSM, JPlay doesn't do gapless so it can be irritating with Prog or other albums where music is continuous across tracks.

I have decided that this is a price worth paying for the better sound quality because I can always fall back on the Linn App for problem albums.

Both Roon and JPlay do free trials. As far as I am aware they are the only two packages that do integration of Qobuz.
Linn: KDSM/3 Hub with Utopik, Organik Exaktboxes, Solo 500s without Dynamik, Komris
Other: Roon ROCK NUC, Melco S100, ATL HiFi L100s
timster

Post by timster »

Moomintroll wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:51 pm
Mtbmarkymark wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:16 pm @Moomintroll . Hi Dave. On closer inspection i think you are right. I was using the Linn App on my Tablet. When i click on the link in the App it opens a new tap which presumably is a chrome browser tap. It does it pretty seemlessly which is good from a usability poinbt of view
What I meant was, the Linn Account can be accessed through any browser and not just the Linn App link. Just in case you decided to use another control app.

Dave
Just to add, you can still access the internal DSM configuration without going to the cloud-based My Account. Quicker and easier for basic stuff (everything but Space and Exakt pretty much).
http://<dsmipaddress>:8080/
♫ ♫
♫ ♫
Nestor Turton

Post by Nestor Turton »

Millennial wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:30 pm I'm on Android
Installed Lumin, kind of like it, has the edge over the Linn app when it comes to presenting content.
I tried Lumin and found it limited. Moreover, if I added, changed or deleted something I had to wait an age for it to reindex. Of course, it may have improved. I’m very much wedded to my customised JRiver interface, no app required and works with most browsers, but it is for locally stored music only.
Last edited by Nestor Turton on Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gramophone: Linn Klimax LP12, ADSM/3+KCT & Spendor D9s
Juke Box: JRiver, Chord Blu2/Dave/Etude & Harbeth P3ESR-XD
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

Just to add, you can still access the internal DSM configuration without going to the cloud-based My Account. Quicker and easier for basic stuff (everything but Space and Exakt pretty much).
Is true, but forgot about that, not sure any point anymore once you've got the Linn App?

Mtbmarkymark

Post by Mtbmarkymark »

I have been playing with a few of the alternative control apps people have suggeted
none of them are brilliant to be honest. ( could be a large degree of user error here ! )
The core of the problem i am having seems to be centered around the fact that i have two places where the control app needs to search to bring up the music i want.
lets take BubbleUPNP, BubbleDS, Mconnect and Lumin. The problem these apps all share is that you have to choose which music source to search
( either Qobuz or files stored on the Melco hard drive ) FIRST then you can search amongst them. I suppose this is analagous to someone who has a both a CD and a vinyl collection in that you first have to remember which format the Album is on before you can search for it
Only the Linn App seems to take a more joined up approach as it can search both simultaneously.

however if you are doing a more general browse it starts to annoy. If browsing through the rips on the Melco i can only see the cover art if i have them in Album title order. There doesn't seem to be any way of changing to Artist name order for instance. Only the Lumin App seems to be able to do this seemingly simple thing !
Melco N10 music server
PS Audio BHK Preamp
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

Having had a good play with Lumin tonight got to say it's a nice experience when using the streaming source (in my case Qobuz) look at the comparison to the Linn App..

Martin Kelly

Post by Martin Kelly »

Roon ‘all the way’ for me. A superb functioning, and ‘sounding’ (?) solution!

Vinyl: Linn LP12, Cirkus, Radikal/1, Keel, Ekos/1, Adikt/2, Uphorik/D
Streaming: Linn KDS Organik & Utopik
CD/SACD: Esoteric K-01X BH & G-02
Amplification: Linn KK/2, 2 x M4100/D
Speakers: Linn Majik 140’s (Aktiv + Al Stands) & Majik 126
timster

Post by timster »

Millennial wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:01 pm

Is true, but forgot about that, not sure any point anymore once you've got the Linn app?
No need to login, select system etc etc. Or t'interweb is down or Linn Account under maintenance. It's just easier.
♫ ♫
♫ ♫
DiggyGun

Post by DiggyGun »

I’ve only ever used the Linn on both my Linn streamers. Previously Klimax DS/3 Katalyst and now SelektDSM; Edition Hub.

Never noticed any issues, connects seamlessly to Qobuz. Works well on both the iPad and iPhone.

DG…
DG…

One box is the future…

Main; Linn Selekt DSM: Edition Hub (Utopik/Organik), Kudos Titan 606 (Active), Kudos KS-1, Chord Epic/Clearway Ethernet, Chord SignatureX, EE8, EE1, Focal Elear

Office: PC, SMSL SU-1, SMSL SA300, Q Acoustics Q2010i, QED interconnect/speaker cable
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer