Ekstatik dilemma

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box
evil_C

Re: Ekstatik dilemma

Post by evil_C »

I should add that I’m actually a cat lover and would never harm a cat.
vincent

Post by vincent »

evil_C wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:52 am I should add that I’m actually a cat lover and would never harm a cat.
:smt005
LP12 (Tiger Paw Stratos, sKale; Karousel, Keel, KRadikal, Ekos SE, Urika2, Lyra Etna SL); Klimax NGDSM Hub; Exakt Katalyst Akubariks.
sktn77a

Post by sktn77a »

Six month wait for the Etna??? I guess they are mostly special order so that explains the wait.
Keith
Linn LP12, Kore, Karousel, Lingo 4, Trampolinn 2, Ekos 2, RigB VM760SLC
Lejonklou Slipsik, NDX2, NAC252, SCDR, NAP250DR
Aerial 5b, Harbeth P3-ESR/M30, Spendor LS3/5a
Red Chris

Post by Red Chris »

I was very fortunate to have a cartridge demo day at Cymbiosis last year that included the Lyra Etna Lambda SL and Linn Ekstatki - plus several others. The Etna was my favourite. I may never be able to stretch to one, but it is a fabulous cartridge
Cymbiosis Tangerine LP12 - Stiletto Skorpion Eklipse - Karousel Klimax Radikal 2/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Urika/Chord Sarum T, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim amps and Kudos speakers
FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer »

vincent wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:43 am After a wait of more than six months, my Etna has finally landed.

Straight out of the box, the improvement on the already very good Kleos SL is obvious. Early days, but I would sum up the relative superiority in terms of increased authority and weight, combined with a more natural, subtle and refined presentation – with greater insight into the music (Suzanne Vega's 'Solitude Standing' sounding more emotionally engaging than ever): in short, more of everything associated with the Lyra sound.

Thanks to John @ Audio-T in Brighton for his expertise and work in fitting the cartridge and servicing the deck.

More to follow as the cartridge beds in :)

How is your Etna these days?

I only ask as I suspect that I may have to replace my Linn Kandid sometime this year and I am obviously interested in Linn's Ekstatik.

When I had a brief listen to an Ekstatik last year I felt that it was not quite for me, but in fairness I would need a home loan in my system, which The Sound Organisation would do, before making any decision and purchase.

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W
OpenAirFan

Post by OpenAirFan »

The Japanese build Lyra for LP12 ist the Kandid and the Swiss made EMT for LP12 is the Ekstatik. I have them both on different LP12s and cannot say that one is superior. They are different, the Kandid way more musical and the Ekstatik way more analytical. I love them both.
FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer »

OpenAirFan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:12 pm The Japanese build Lyra for LP12 ist the Kandid and the Swiss made EMT for LP12 is the Ekstatik. I have them both on different LP12s and cannot say that one is superior. They are different, the Kandid way more musical and the Ekstatik way more analytical. I love them both.

That is my concern that the Ekstatik may be, for me, a bit too much on the 'analytical' side. Of course, the only real way to find out is to have a home loan.

Thanks

Richard
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W
Tendaberry

Post by Tendaberry »

Hmmm, interestingly I find the Kandid more analytical and the Ekstatik groovier and more musical. But yes, the Ekstatik reveals lots more details too.
Linn LP12 (Karousel)/Keel/Klimax Radikal 2/Urika/Ekos 2/Akiva/Linn Akurate DSM Katalyst/QNAP 219P II/Cisco WS-C2960-8-TC-L/Linn Akurate Tuner/1 x Majik 6100 & 1 x Majik 4100/Linn Akubarik (aktiv), Grado PS500e
FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer »

‘Groovier’ is good in my books😁
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W
FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer »

‘Groovier’ is good in my books😁
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

I wonder if the perceived differences are down to the use of non-Linn components in the chain? I’m not criticising anyone’s choices or hearing, I just find it interesting that @vincent uses a Tigerpaw plinth, @FangfossFlyer uses Naim phono stage and amps and @OpenAirFan uses Nagra as far as I can see. Also, @Red Chris mentioned a comparison at Cymbiosis where he preferred the Lyra Etna too. Was a mix of manufacturers used in that demo?

I have a full Linn system and much prefer the Exstatik over the Kandid, so much so that I wouldn’t like to go back to one.

Just a thought.

Dave
Klimax LP12, NGKDSM Hub, Klimax 350E Organik
FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer »

Dave,

An interesting observation.

Richard
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W
Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 »

Moomintroll wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:08 pm I wonder if the perceived differences are down to the use of non-Linn components in the chain? I’m not criticising anyone’s choices or hearing, I just find it interesting that @vincent uses a Tigerpaw plinth, @FangfossFlyer uses Naim phono stage and amps and @OpenAirFan uses Nagra as far as I can see. Also, @Red Chris mentioned a comparison at Cymbiosis where he preferred the Lyra Etna too. Was a mix of manufacturers used in that demo?

I have a full Linn system and much prefer the Exstatik over the Kandid, so much so that I wouldn’t like to go back to one.

Just a thought.

Dave
All of the things you mention Dave must be relevant to some degree or other as they are all real differences. I myself prefer the Lyra Atlas cart to anything Linn has to offer but I also have a Tangerine Karman top plate on my Klimax LP12.

Above all else, there is also the inventible differences in what people perceive they hear. I remember a few years ago at a Kabin get together when we were listening to some different versions of Sgt Peppers on a top flight LP12 playing through a Naim stack into Linn Isobariks. Opinions varied into which LP version we enjoyed the most. So despite us all listening to same Lp's on the same kit at the same time there was no agreement on which recorded version sounded 'best'.

In other words, we all have decide for ourselves what we like best. It can always be interesting to read about what others have found they enjoy but it's not a blanket substitution for hearing for ones self. You may find you agree with them, but equally, you may also find that you don't ....... :smt023
LP12 - Klimax Radikal 2/Urika, Harban Plinth, Karousel, Keel, Karmen, Ekos SE, Skale, Lyra Atlas
CD Players - Roksan Caspian M2 CD Player, dCS Puccini CD Player + Scarlatti Master Clock
Amps - KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D)
Speakers - Kudos S20 A's in Santos Rosewood
Cables - Linn Silver RCA & K200 speaker cable
OpenAirFan

Post by OpenAirFan »

If taste or hearing perception were objective facts, then there would be no need for this forum. We can only try to objectively name and evaluate existing differences or even faults. We then make the final decision highly subjectively based on our experiences and preferences. And that is the exciting thing about our hobby, that there can never be an end point to this journey.
Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion »

Wenge1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:01 amIn other words, we all have decide for ourselves what we like best. It can always be interesting to read about what others have found they enjoy but it's not a blanket substitution for hearing for ones self. You may find you agree with them, but equally, you may also find that you don't ....... :smt023
The 'perfect' HiFi / Car / partner / pet is the one that most suits our inner preconceptions
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Karousel, Urika, Radikal-2 A (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
NAIM CD 5si with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
ThePre, ZAP 250, Kudos Super 20A's
evil_C

Post by evil_C »

Wenge1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:01 am
Moomintroll wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:08 pm I wonder if the perceived differences are down to the use of non-Linn components in the chain? I’m not criticising anyone’s choices or hearing, I just find it interesting that @vincent uses a Tigerpaw plinth, @FangfossFlyer uses Naim phono stage and amps and @OpenAirFan uses Nagra as far as I can see. Also, @Red Chris mentioned a comparison at Cymbiosis where he preferred the Lyra Etna too. Was a mix of manufacturers used in that demo?

Just a thought.

Davet
All of the things you mention Dave must be relevant to some degree or other as they are all real differences. I myself prefer the Lyra Atlas cart to anything Linn has to offer but I also have a Tangerine Karman top plate on my Klimax LP12.

Above all else, there is also the inventible differences in what people perceive they hear. I remember a few years ago at a Kabin get together when we were listening to some different versions of Sgt Peppers on a top flight LP12 playing through a Naim stack into Linn Isobariks. Opinions varied into which LP version we enjoyed the most. So despite us all listening to same Lp's on the same kit at the same time there was no agreement on which recorded version sounded 'best'.

In other words, we all have decide for ourselves what we like best. It can always be interesting to read about what others have found they enjoy but it's not a blanket substitution for hearing for ones self. You may find you agree with them, but equally, you may also find that you don't ....... :smt023
It’s good that we all hear things differently and have different tastes. Otherwise even those of us with taste might like rap :smt005
Sagatun

Post by Sagatun »

I had the opportunity to hear the Kandid against the Ekstatik. Only the arm was replaced with the pickups installed. The difference was so big that I ordered the Ekstatik immediately. The Kandid was well-rehearsed, but the Ekstatik only had around 40 hours of playing time. Nevertheless, the difference was very large in favor of the Ekstatik. I thought that if a pickup could make such a poorly set up system sing, it would be a revelation in my system, which it actually did.

The system was the big Linn System, which sounded terrible with the Kandid but with Ekstatik music came into the room. I also find the Kandid to be on the analytical side and the Ekstatik to be much more musical.
Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 »

evil_C wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:21 am It’s good that we all hear things differently and have different tastes. Otherwise even those of us with taste might like rap :smt005
I'm pleading the 5th amendment on that one Clive ....... :smt005
LP12 - Klimax Radikal 2/Urika, Harban Plinth, Karousel, Keel, Karmen, Ekos SE, Skale, Lyra Atlas
CD Players - Roksan Caspian M2 CD Player, dCS Puccini CD Player + Scarlatti Master Clock
Amps - KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D)
Speakers - Kudos S20 A's in Santos Rosewood
Cables - Linn Silver RCA & K200 speaker cable
evil_C

Post by evil_C »

Sagatun wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:50 am I had the opportunity to hear the Kandid against the Ekstatik. Only the arm was replaced with the pickups installed.
If only the arm was changed, I assume it was an Aro. Is that correct?
Dan Steel
Queue Moderator

Post by Dan Steel »

Wenge1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:14 am
evil_C wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:21 am It’s good that we all hear things differently and have different tastes. Otherwise even those of us with taste might like rap :smt005
I'm pleading the 5th amendment on that one Clive ....... :smt005
I’ve got taste and I like rap :smt023
Turntable - Linn LP12, Karousel, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal, Urika.
Amplifier - Naim Supernait 3
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Turntable Mat - Linn, Collaro Audio (Red & Black)
Cables - Kudos KS-1 Speaker Cable, Linn Silver Interconnects
Support - DIY Solid Oak Rack
Headphones - Focal Elegia, AKG 701
akamatsu

Post by akamatsu »

In my system, I'd rather keep my Ekstatik than keep my Akubariks. That is, I'd rather enjoy music using Ekstatik and 530s than Kandid and Akubariks. The difference was that profound.
Linn Klimax LP12, Linn NG Klimax DSM hub (Utopik), Linn Katalyst Akubariks

Michael
Sagatun

Post by Sagatun »

evil_C wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:44 pm
Sagatun wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:50 am I had the opportunity to hear the Kandid against the Ekstatik. Only the arm was replaced with the pickups installed.
The dealer pulled the LP12 to the side, loosened the connector and the side screw on the arm. Then insert the other arm and adjust the height. Took maybe two minutes.
Vinyl - streamer - turntable - 2 preamplifiers - 2 power amplifiers - speakers - racks - cables
evil_C

Post by evil_C »

Sagatun wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:49 pm
evil_C wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:44 pm
The dealer pulled the LP12 to the side, loosened the connector and the side screw on the arm. Then insert the other arm and adjust the height. Took maybe two minutes.
Thanks. So it wasn’t an Aro.
vincent

Post by vincent »

How is your Etna these days?

I only ask as I suspect that I may have to replace my Linn Kandid sometime this year and I am obviously interested in Linn's Ekstatik.

When I had a brief listen to an Ekstatik last year I felt that it was not quite for me, but in fairness I would need a home loan in my system, which The Sound Organisation would do, before making any decision and purchase.

Richard
Hi Richard

I agree with @OpenAirFan: I found the Ekstatik rather over-analytical compared to the Lyras (both Kleos and Etna) when I had one on home-dem.

I can only say that I am very happy with the choice I made – the Etna Lambda SL having the same overall character as the Kleos SL, but with more of everything I like about the Lyra sound, which I think has great synergy with my (already very revealing) Exakt Akubarik system.

Home loan of an Ekstatik will answer the question whether you prefer it to your Kandid. Obviously it's going to be more difficult arranging home-dem of any of the Lyras. And the switch would be lot more expensive given the Kandid's trade-in value.
LP12 (Tiger Paw Stratos, sKale; Karousel, Keel, KRadikal, Ekos SE, Urika2, Lyra Etna SL); Klimax NGDSM Hub; Exakt Katalyst Akubariks.
alto

Post by alto »

Sagatun wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:50 am
The system was the big Linn System, which sounded terrible with the Kandid but with Ekstatik music came into the room. I also find the Kandid to be on the analytical side and the Ekstatik to be much more musical.

Sagatun you reflect the essential point that a superior cell enhances the greater presence of the music!
I can also imagine the added flexibility of articulation and emotion. Kandid will remain a good cartridge for its price; it's already excellent at this level.
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer