Lost bass in Akiv Majik-i and LK100 system

The place to chat about everything else
Mouldy Old Dough

Lost bass in Akiv Majik-i and LK100 system

Post by Mouldy Old Dough »

I seem to have lost the bass in my system as it just sounds flat and awful.

Nothing has changed with regards to components or moving the kit around. I switched it on one Friday night a couple of weeks ago and I noticed the change. My system consists of a pair of Linn Keilidhs, Majik-i with bass cards, LK100 with treble cards, Linn DS/1, Marantz CD60 and a Project DC Evo. Initially I thought the change might have been down to a firmware update that I did on my DS, but all sources sound the same. The bass drivers are moving, but I don't know what else to check as a process of elimination to get to the bottom of this. I don't know anyone else with similar components that I could swap them out with.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Moomintroll

Re: Lost bass in Akiv Majik-i and LK100 system

Post by Moomintroll »

As you say, very unlikely to be a firmware issue if it’s the system at fault rather than just the DS. First place I’d look is the Majik-I, as it’s your bass amp. It’s unlikely that the same fault has manifested on both bass aktiv cards, so the Majik power amp stage could be the culprit, or its power supply. How possible is it for you to swap the bass and treble cards over from the LK? It would be interesting to see if your bass returns, but mid/treble is then down.

Dave
Klimax LP12, NGKDSM Hub, Klimax 350E Organik
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Moomintroll wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:25 pm As you say, very unlikely to be a firmware issue if it’s the system at fault rather than just the DS. First place I’d look is the Majik-I, as it’s your bass amp. It’s unlikely that the same fault has manifested on both bass aktiv cards, so the Majik power amp stage could be the culprit, or its power supply. How possible is it for you to swap the bass and treble cards over from the LK? It would be interesting to see if your bass returns, but treble is then down.

It could even be the Majik pre-amp stage at fault as everything passes through that to the aktiv cards.

Dave
akamatsu

Post by akamatsu »

I bought my Majik-I 30 years ago this year! I'm not surprised that yours seems to be failing.

I'd say sell the old kit and replace it with a Majik DSM. I would expect a nice sound quality improvement.
Linn Klimax LP12, Linn NG Klimax DSM hub (Utopik), Linn Katalyst Akubariks

Michael
Mouldy Old Dough

Moomintroll wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:25 pm As you say, very unlikely to be a firmware issue if it’s the system at fault rather than just the DS. First place I’d look is the Majik-I, as it’s your bass amp. It’s unlikely that the same fault has manifested on both bass aktiv cards, so the Majik power amp stage could be the culprit, or its power supply. How possible is it for you to swap the bass and treble cards over from the LK? It would be interesting to see if your bass returns, but mid/treble is then down.

Dave
That’s possible. There is nothing else to do other than just slot the cards in, is that right? It’s been a while since I fitted them.

Thanks for the response.
Mouldy Old Dough

akamatsu wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:42 pm I bought my Majik-I 30 years ago this year! I'm not surprised that yours seems to be failing.

I'd say sell the old kit and replace it with a Majik DSM. I would expect a nice sound quality improvement.
Yes, I bought my Majik and Keilidh’s in 92/93. They are part of the family.

I have actually been considering upgrading but not sure what path to go down. I want to keep my Keilidh’s so would need a solution to work around them. I suppose that would be for another thread.

If my memory serves me, I bought my LK100 form the poster @entdgc from the old Linn forum.
akamatsu

Post by akamatsu »

Mouldy Old Dough wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:58 pm
akamatsu wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:42 pm I bought my Majik-I 30 years ago this year! I'm not surprised that yours seems to be failing.

I have actually been considering upgrading but not sure what path to go down. I want to keep my Keilidh’s so would need a solution to work around them. I suppose that would be for another thread.
I think the cost of repair may make it not worth the trouble. I think you'd be amazed at what a Majik DSM can do.

Michael
Mouldy Old Dough

akamatsu wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:02 pm
Mouldy Old Dough wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:58 pm

I think the cost of repair may make it not worth the trouble. I think you'd be amazed at what a Majik DSM can do.
No, I wouldn’t consider a repair. It would just force the upgrade. Budget would be the driver, taking into account the need to stay Aktiv. What would be a suitable, cost effective solution to allow me to keep my Keilidh’s as they are? I only recently upgraded to the DS/1 from my original DS without the Dynamik power supply.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Well, first things first? You need to identify where the problem lies. If the Majik power amp stage, then another LK100 would be the obvious and simplest choice and retain the Majik pre-stage. If the pre-stage, then a recap may not be too costly. Ask Nigel Moore at Tyson’s, who is on the Facebook group. If it is costly, then you’d need, at least a pre-amp and another power amp. @akamatsu suggestion of a Majik DSM provides both of those although I know nothing about aktiv cards in the DSM and you’d likely need different ones to the ones you already have.

You don’t say which level of DS you have?
akamatsu

Post by akamatsu »

Moomintroll wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:03 pm Well, first things first? You need to identify where the problem lies. If the Majik power amp stage, then another LK100 would be the obvious and simplest choice and retain the Majik pre-stage. If the pre-stage, then a recap may not be too costly. Ask Nigel Moore at Tyson’s, who is on the Facebook group. If it is costly, then you’d need, at least a pre-amp and another power amp. @akamatsu suggestion of a Majik DSM provides both of those although I know nothing about aktiv cards in the DSM and you’d likely need different ones to the ones you already have.

You don’t say which level of DS you have?
Good point about the possibility of the problem lying in the amp section of the Majik-I. Used LK100s are cheap, and they seem to be pretty robust. I never hear of them needing repair. Maybe because they get discarded if they fail.

I did overlook the DS level. That could factor in. An Akurate System Hub (very inexpensive) and a Majik or Akurate Exaktbox-I (used) could be a nice upgrade for not a lot of money. Unless the existing DS is a Klimax DS.
Last edited by akamatsu on Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael
entdgc

Post by entdgc »

Mouldy Old Dough wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:58 pm If my memory serves me, I bought my LK100 form the poster @entdgc from the old Linn forum.
Well I never! Glad it is still going! It must have been some time back as I had forgotten that. Hope you get your current problem fixed and it doesn't turn out to be the LK100 :-)

Dave
Klimax RDS/1 > Klimax Kontrol > Klimax Twin > Klimax 350p's
Mouldy Old Dough

entdgc wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:46 pm
Mouldy Old Dough wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:58 pm If my memory serves me, I bought my LK100 form the poster @entdgc from the old Linn forum.
Well I never! Glad it is still going! It must have been some time back as I had forgotten that. Hope you get your current problem fixed and it doesn't turn out to be the LK100 :-)

Dave
Yes, that’s a good few years now! It’s good to see a lot of the usernames from the old board.

My kit really doesn’t owe me anything, so maybe it is time for an upgrade.
Mouldy Old Dough

Hopefully I will get to swap the cards over tonight as I was busy over the weekend.

With an eye on the future, what would my options be for upgrading my amps? If I went down the Majik DSM route, I would need to take my speakers back to passive and I wouldn't fancy doing that myself again. I made them Aktiv a good few years back and I think it scarred me for life. I wouldn't mind keeping my DS/1 and just upgrading my amps. What would be my options for a pre and power amp to replace my LK boxes, with suitable Aktiv cards? Budget might be around £1.5-2K at a push.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Mouldy Old Dough wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:46 pm Hopefully I will get to swap the cards over tonight as I was busy over the weekend.

With an eye on the future, what would my options be for upgrading my amps? If I went down the Majik DSM route, I would need to take my speakers back to passive and I wouldn't fancy doing that myself again. I made them Aktiv a good few years back and I think it scarred me for life. I wouldn't mind keeping my DS/1 and just upgrading my amps. What would be my options for a pre and power amp to replace my LK boxes, with suitable Aktiv cards? Budget might be around £1.5-2K at a push.
Ooh, there’s a task for us.

I agree, you want to resist going back to passive unless you aim for a much better pre/power combo. You already have the required mono cards for the Keilidhs, so keeping your LK100 and adding another would be an option. Other than that you’re kind of limited as to what else the mono cards fit into; only Klout springs to mind. After that, you’re looking at replacing the cards with the Chakra Stereo ones - one for treble one for bass (CHAKT08 and 09) - these also work with the Ninkas. Going for stereo cards means you’ll need to replace your LK100 with 4 channels of power amp like the M4100 or an AV5125, or some of the other LK range like the 85 or 140. Then you still have the question of pre-amp - a late model Kairn would work, but getting long in the tooth. If it was me, I’d be thinking about going for an Akurate DSM which gives you a better pre-amp and you could sell your DS/1. You the have the option of upgrading with Utopik. Even better, IMHO, would be to go Exakt with an Akurate Exakt DSM (Hub) and a Majik Exaktbox-I which will work with any aktiv speaker up to 4-way and gives 8x100w, so you could sell your LK100 and aktiv cards. Likely above your budget for now, but think about your end game.

Dave
Mouldy Old Dough

Moomintroll wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:23 pm
Mouldy Old Dough wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:46 pm Hopefully I will get to swap the cards over tonight as I was busy over the weekend.

I agree, you want to resist going back to passive unless you aim for a much better pre/power combo. You already have the required mono cards for the Keilidhs, so keeping your LK100 and adding another would be an option. Other than that you’re kind of limited as to what else the mono cards fit into; only Klout springs to mind. After that, you’re looking at replacing the cards with the Chakra Stereo ones - one for treble one for bass (CHAKT08 and 09) - these also work with the Ninkas. Going for stereo cards means you’ll need to replace your LK100 with 4 channels of power amp like the M4100 or an AV5125, or some of the other LK range like the 85 or 140. Then you still have the question of pre-amp - a late model Kairn would work, but getting long in the tooth. If it was me, I’d be thinking about going for an Akurate DSM which gives you a better pre-amp and you could sell your DS/1. You the have the option of upgrading with Utopik. Even better, IMHO, would be to go Exakt with an Akurate Exakt DSM (Hub) and a Majik Exaktbox-I which will work with any aktiv speaker up to 4-way and gives 8x100w, so you could sell your LK100 and aktiv cards. Likely above your budget for now, but think about your end game.

Dave

As much as I would love to, and considering the length of time I’ve had my existing kit, I don’t envisage myself upgrading anytime soon if I have to upgrade just now. I’ve only just got Dynamik, far less Utopik! I do realise that I would need stereo cards over my current mono ones. A 4100 is something I had looked at. Would that handle both the bass and treble cards? I wouldn’t know where to begin with an Exakt Box. I’m also limited in rack space and budget, but not enthusiasm.

I should say that I also have an ifi Zen headphone amp, and a Cambridge Audio Alva Duo phono stage. I assume that a DSM would improve both of those?

I saw an Akurate DSM for about £1100. Would that, and taking the speakers passive again, be a big improvent?
akamatsu

Post by akamatsu »

Mouldy Old Dough wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:19 pm
Moomintroll wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:23 pm

Dave

As much as I would love to, and considering the length of time I’ve had my existing kit, I don’t envisage myself upgrading anytime soon if I have to upgrade just now. I’ve only just got Dynamik, far less Utopik! I do realise that I would need stereo cards over my current mono ones. A 4100 is something I had looked at. Would that handle both the bass and treble cards? I wouldn’t know where to begin with an Exakt Box. I’m also limited in rack space and budget, but not enthusiasm.

I should say that I also have an ifi Zen headphone amp, and a Cambridge Audio Alva Duo phono stage. I assume that a DSM would improve both of those?

I saw an Akurate DSM for about £1100. Would that, and taking the speakers passive again, be a big improvent?
I think for that price, you were looking at an Akurate Exakt DSM, AKA Akurate System Hub. It will only work in a Linn Exakt system. This is what has been suggested with an Exaktbox-I.

Michael
Mouldy Old Dough

Ah, my mistake! It just had Akurate DSM on the front of the unit. I took that to be the same as a Majik DSM.
petecallaghan

Post by petecallaghan »

I think an Akurate DSM could replace your phono and pre as well as the DS.

This one is close to your budget and comes with Utopik: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204718182813 ... R8ron4fUYw

I suspect if you used this with the LK100 passive it would sound much better than your Majik-I + LK100 active.

Then you have a future upgrade path

BTW - A Majik-I was an early step in my Linn journey in the early 90s, then followed LK 100, Klouts and all sorts of wonderful things.
Linn Axis ATVMN95E/C, Lejonklou Slipsik phono, Källa streamer, Boazu integrated, Linn Espeks with limestone bases and custom crossover links
Cables: BJC to Amplifi HD and Netgear GS308T, Linn Silvers, Linn K400
Support: Quadraspire
Mouldy Old Dough

petecallaghan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:21 pm I think an Akurate DSM could replace your phono and pre as well as the DS.

This one is close to your budget and comes with Utopik: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204718182813 ... R8ron4fUYw

I suspect if you used this with the LK100 passive it would sound much better than your Majik-I + LK100 active.

Then you have a future upgrade path

BTW - A Majik-I was an early step in my Linn journey in the early 90s, then followed LK 100, Klouts and all sorts of wonderful things.
Thanks for that, it’s food for thought.

I see there is a Majik DSM on eBay for around £1300. Is the Akurate so far beyond that in performance?
petecallaghan

Post by petecallaghan »

Mouldy Old Dough wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:15 am I see there is a Majik DSM on eBay for around £1300. Is the Akurate so far beyond that in performance?
Impossible to put a value on it ! Only the buyer can decide if it's worth it. :D

I suspect that Akurate + Utopik will be a very significant improvement over Majik, but I have not made the direct comparison myself.
Linn Axis ATVMN95E/C, Lejonklou Slipsik phono, Källa streamer, Boazu integrated, Linn Espeks with limestone bases and custom crossover links
Mouldy Old Dough

petecallaghan wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:49 am
Mouldy Old Dough wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:15 am I see there is a Majik DSM on eBay for around £1300. Is the Akurate so far beyond that in performance?
Impossible to put a value on it ! Only the buyer can decide if it's worth it. :D

I suspect that Akurate + Utopik will be a very significant improvement over Majik, but I have not made the direct comparison myself.
Yes, very true!

I could get a Majk DSM and 4100 for less than £2k. I'm a man of simple pleasures
petecallaghan

Post by petecallaghan »

Mouldy Old Dough

petecallaghan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:18 am This may be of interest: https://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtop ... 083#p73083
I think I might just join that forum and ask some questions. Thanks.
Mouldy Old Dough

I’ve finally had some time to take my amps apart and was intending to swap the cards over. The LK100 is an old unit and has these wires in place. Is it still ok to swap the cards over at the connector sides? I just reseated the cards and put them back together to test, and I’m wondering if it is actually the treble that has gone as it is sounding muffled. There were no obvious swollen capacitors that I could see in either of the amps.

Mouldy Old Dough

Swapped the cards over tonight but I’m not sure what I should expect to hear. There seemed to be more treble and less bass, but nothing that could pinpoint what the issue could be.

Can anyone offer some advice as to what my next step should be? I’m based in Stirling in Scotland.
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer