Utopik for Radikal

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: Utopik for Radikal

Post by Coyote Jim »

sktn77a wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:36 pm
Coyote Jim wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:40 am I can’t imagine it being any more expensive the load on a Radikal is very light duty and has no powerful amplification to drive. :smt017
It's not about what it does...... It about what people will pay!
Always the case. :smt005
But even they couldn’t expect us not to notice what does what. :smt018
Turntable - Linn LP12, Karousel, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal 2, Urika.
Amplifier - Naim Supernait 3
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Cables- Kudos KS-1 Speaker Cable, Linn Silver Interconnects
Support - Target TT4.
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

IMG_0553.jpeg
IMG_0552.jpeg

Might be more costly for Radikal Utopik
I’ve uploaded the top picture being the Utopik and Dynamik exchange boards for the streamer.
And the picture below shows the Dynamik in a Radikal so might seem it’s quite a bit bigger. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Support - Target TT4.
ThomasOK
Trade Member

Post by ThomasOK »

I don't believe it is actually bigger, but overall smaller. The name for the Dynamik version was the Dynamik/Mini which should give you some idea. I believe the reason it appears bigger is that it is longer, which is in part due to the IEC inlet being mounted to it. But it is also narrower.
Linn LP12/movingui, Karousel, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Ekstatik, KRadikal 2, T2
Lejonklou Källa streamer/DAC
Linn Kremlin tuner
Lejonklou SINGularity MC preamps, Sagatun Mono line preamps, Tundra Mono 3 power amps
Quad ESL speakers (57s rebuilt by Sheldon Stokes and myself)
Linn Silver interconnects, K248 speaker cables
NOKTable turntable stand, Harmoni racks
akamatsu

Post by akamatsu »

I would expect the price of Utopik for Radikal to be the same as for the DSMs. It is different, that is longer and narrower than for the DSMs, but the material cost would still be minimal. Some PC board layout design would need to be done, but I believe that this is mainly handled by computers. I'm confident that the schematic design is all but done. Perhaps a few tweaks and adjustment for output voltage and current.
Linn Klimax LP12, Linn NG Klimax DSM hub (Utopik), Linn Katalyst Akubariks

Michael
glevethan

Post by glevethan »

akamatsu wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:15 pm The dealer in Seattle told me Utopik for Radikal should be included in the next wave. Of course a later release has also been indicated. We shall see.
My dealer, one of the most highly respected, does not believe this will see light of day this year.
And no - I will not mention his name.

Gave me enough courage to order a new Klimax Radikal instead of going with the upgrade kit for my original Radikal purchased back in 2009 (and Dynamiked shortly there after).
DarTZeel pre NHB-18NS mk2 - DarTZeel amplifier NHB-108 model 2
dCS Rossini Apex+Clock - LP12-Keel-Radikal-Urika-Aro-Kandid-Karmen-Tranquility-Skale-Harban Klimax DS/3 Organik
Kudos Titan T88 from the first set of 5 - Chord Music

Previous systems - Nait 5-282-252-552-250-300-500-CD5-CDX2-CDS3-CD555-Stageline-SuperLine-HiCap-SuperCap-555PS-nSats-Allaes
glevethan

Post by glevethan »

Coyote Jim wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:26 pm ImageI can’t see this Bedrock plinth being available in the current form as the LP12-50
It would make a mockery of the LTD edition if it was available DIY.
Perhaps the same “Composite “ material but in standard form.
We’ll see.
No interest to me I’ll keep it real with a proper one. :wink: :smt023
I'll keep it "real" as well with my original and early Chris Harban plinth. Simply a work of art.
DarTZeel pre NHB-18NS mk2 - DarTZeel amplifier NHB-108 model 2
dCS Rossini Apex+Clock - LP12-Keel-Radikal-Urika-Aro-Kandid-Karmen-Tranquility-Skale-Harban Klimax DS/3 Organik
Kudos Titan T88 from the first set of 5 - Chord Music

Previous systems - Nait 5-282-252-552-250-300-500-CD5-CDX2-CDS3-CD555-Stageline-SuperLine-HiCap-SuperCap-555PS-nSats-Allaes
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

glevethan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:09 am
Coyote Jim wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:26 pm ImageI can’t see this Bedrock plinth being available in the current form as the LP12-50
It would make a mockery of the LTD edition if it was available DIY.
Perhaps the same “Composite “ material but in standard form.
We’ll see.
No interest to me I’ll keep it real with a proper one. :wink: :smt023

I'll keep it "real" as well with my original and early Chris Harban plinth. Simply a work of art.
Indeed a traditional build is keeping it “real”.
Our fettler used to do a signature range of that very makers plinths.
Real wood I’m happy with but when it all starts going exact composite materials then the heart is lost.
Stradivarius or Composite.:wink:
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Support - Target TT4.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Just Listen?

Are you just against the idea of an alternative plinth material, Jim, or have you been able to compare like for like and found Bedrok to be wanting?

I’ve just seen one LP12-50 and it wasn’t an ideal situation for critical listening and a standard Klimax wasn’t available for comparison. As and when the Bedrok upgrade makes an appearance, I’ll have a comparative dem.

‘troll
Klimax LP12, NGKDSM Hub, Klimax 350E Organik
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

Moomintroll wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:06 am Just Listen?

Are you just against the idea of an alternative plinth material, Jim, or have you been able to compare like for like and found Bedrok to be wanting?

I’ve just seen one LP12-50 and it wasn’t an ideal situation for critical listening and a standard Klimax wasn’t available for comparison. As and when the Bedrok upgrade makes an appearance, I’ll have a comparative dem.

‘troll
I do listen. :wink:

I just believe in traditional methods of constructing and tuning.
Musical instruments are really an opening into this traditional timber is the beauty of the beast and yes I do get the whole thing that it isn’t an entirley “ stable “ material and composite might be more accurately manufactured for consistency but the heart of the whole thing is lost.
No more is that a loved instrument with character it’s just a machine.
Whether this will mean tuning and fettling the deck might be more consistent who knows but the setup of a deck never has been regardless of who sets it up.
I see how technology is changing for example in house building with all the reclaimed and constituted materials and again it’s the same.
More accurate is the killer of emotion and that’s what’s most important for my musical enjoyment.
Get the ” tone “ you like and leave it alone.
I upgrade items on my deck not just for more SQ but keeping my item serviceable rather than disposable.
Maybe my take on this is all wrong and I’m stuck in the past but that’s the way it is everyone is an individual.
I know immediately if I’m engaged or not “ just listen “ that’s what it’s all about.:smt023
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Support - Target TT4.
9Designs

Post by 9Designs »

May be Utopik isn't needed/going to happen because there is no more to squeeze out of this route, as in reduced motor vibration and speed stability.
Perhaps they got to a threshold that isn't bettered.
LP12-Keel-Radikal1-Karousel-Ekos/SE-Kandid-Urika1
LP12 - Cirkus- Lingo1- Ekos/1- Krystal - DIY development deck
Klimax DS/1/D Kontrol/D Klimax Solo/D - Celestion SL - Hybrid
AKDSM-Kat/D Ak4200/D PMC Fact 8
MDSM- 2250/D Dynaudio Gemini.
akamatsu

Post by akamatsu »

9Designs wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:29 pm May be Utopik isn't needed/going to happen because there is no more to squeeze out of this route, as in reduced motor vibration and speed stability.
That thought has crossed my mind as well. However, there have been reports of improvement to the Radikal when Dynamik was released. I think the Urika (2) would definitely see an improvement with Utopik.

Michael
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

akamatsu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:32 pm
9Designs wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:29 pm May be Utopik isn't needed/going to happen because there is no more to squeeze out of this route, as in reduced motor vibration and speed stability.
That thought has crossed my mind as well. However, there have been reports of improvement to the Radikal when Dynamik was released. I think the Urika (2) would definitely see an improvement with Utopik.
And Urika too. :oops:
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Support - Target TT4.
akamatsu

Post by akamatsu »

Coyote Jim wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:41 pm
"Urika (2)" was meant to include Urika 1. :D

Michael
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

akamatsu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:43 pm
Coyote Jim wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:41 pm
"Urika (2)" was meant to include Urika 1. :D
Phew! :oops: :smt023
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Support - Target TT4.
9Designs

Post by 9Designs »

Well yes a better supply to an analog phono stage does have some logic to it.

Rather see an update to my Kontrol
LP12-Keel-Radikal1-Karousel-Ekos/SE-Kandid-Urika1
LP12 - Cirkus- Lingo1- Ekos/1- Krystal - DIY development deck
Klimax DS/1/D Kontrol/D Klimax Solo/D - Celestion SL - Hybrid
AKDSM-Kat/D Ak4200/D PMC Fact 8
MDSM- 2250/D Dynaudio Gemini.
John Hirsch

Post by John Hirsch »

Yeah, I was afraid you were referring to the couple at Accent on Music in Mt. Kisko, NY who are lovely people and highly competant. I'm pleased that the rudeness was atributed to California not New York. There is a cartoon showing a New Yorker saying, "* you" while thinking, "Have a nice day." Just the reverse for the Californian. In California if you hear, "Let's do lunch", you can be sure that the guy hopes he never has to look at you again.
daveyf

Post by daveyf »

No, the nice couple at Accent on Music in NY are at the opposite end of the spectrum, when it comes to customer service. I have had nothing but great service from them, and would be happy to do business with them again. ( I have bought several Linn LP12 items from them). Unfortunately, when it comes to set-up, they are pretty much at the other side of the country to where I am at; and as such not really an option.
Linn LP12 Radikal D and Karousel, Lyra Kleos. Custom 'WTA' Black arm, CAT SL1 Ren Black Path Extreme, Jadis JA 30Mk2, Rowland model 8T mod, SF Guarneri Homage, Esoteric DV60 and D-05 DAC. Nordost Tyr and Zenwave cables.
ThomasOK
Trade Member

Post by ThomasOK »

This hasn't been commented on in a while but I thought I'd put in an additional word or two. I am not expecting to see the Utopik for Radikal this year. I put my money where my mouth is and recently ordered a Radikal2 for my second LP12 instead of waiting for Linn to add the Utopik. The latest word is that the LP12-50 production is paused. Current estimates are that the last of the LP12-50s may not be delivered until September. This does not look positive for an early release of a Bedrok plinth upgrade nor for the Utopik for Radikal. Why, you ask? Imagine buying a $60,000 turntable from Linn and finding out that partway through the production, or even just after it, that they have come out with a new upgrade for the power supply and want you to pay another roughly $1400 for it. That is likely to go over like a lead balloon! Probably better to wait six or so months after the LP12-50s are all delivered to announce a PS upgrade. Just call me cynical Tom.
Linn LP12/movingui, Karousel, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Ekstatik, KRadikal 2, T2
Lejonklou Källa streamer/DAC
Linn Kremlin tuner
Lejonklou SINGularity MC preamps, Sagatun Mono line preamps, Tundra Mono 3 power amps
Quad ESL speakers (57s rebuilt by Sheldon Stokes and myself)
Linn Silver interconnects, K248 speaker cables
NOKTable turntable stand, Harmoni racks
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

I said when the LP12-50 was announced there would be no Radikal Utopik as they couldn’t change the spec mid production.
The consistency and specification would have to be constant.
Although I think depending on the owners system the choice of Urika or Urika 2 was optional with no price difference. :smt023
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Support - Target TT4.
Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 »

ThomasOK wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:28 pm This hasn't been commented on in a while but I thought I'd put in an additional word or two. I am not expecting to see the Utopik for Radikal this year. I put my money where my mouth is and recently ordered a Radikal2 for my second LP12 instead of waiting for Linn to add the Utopik. The latest word is that the LP12-50 production is paused. Current estimates are that the last of the LP12-50s may not be delivered until September. This does not look positive for an early release of a Bedrok plinth upgrade nor for the Utopik for Radikal. Why, you ask? Imagine buying a $60,000 turntable from Linn and finding out that partway through the production, or even just after it, that they have come out with a new upgrade for the power supply and want you to pay another roughly $1400 for it. That is likely to go over like a lead balloon! Probably better to wait six or so months after the LP12-50s are all delivered to announce a PS upgrade. Just call me cynical Tom.
Agree ..... :smt023
LP12 - Klimax Radikal 2/Urika, Harban Plinth, Karousel, Keel, Karmen, Ekos SE, Skale, Lyra Atlas
CD Players - Roksan Caspian M2 CD Player, dCS Puccini CD Player + Scarlatti Master Clock
Amps - KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D)
Speakers - Kudos S20 A's in Santos Rosewood
Cables - Linn Silver RCA & K200 speaker cable
Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 »

Coyote Jim wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:33 pm I said when the LP12-50 was announced there would be no Radikal Utopik as they couldn’t change the spec mid production.
The consistency and specification would have to be constant.
Although I think depending on the owners system the choice of Urika or Urika 2 was optional with no price difference. :smt023
Agree ........ :smt023 :smt023
LP12 - Klimax Radikal 2/Urika, Harban Plinth, Karousel, Keel, Karmen, Ekos SE, Skale, Lyra Atlas
CD Players - Roksan Caspian M2 CD Player, dCS Puccini CD Player + Scarlatti Master Clock
Amps - KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D)
Speakers - Kudos S20 A's in Santos Rosewood
Cables - Linn Silver RCA & K200 speaker cable
alto

Post by alto »

In this case, Linn could offer an intermediate solution, a lower Utopik price reserved for LP12-50s.
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

alto wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:55 am In this case, Linn could offer an intermediate solution, a lower Utopik price reserved for LP12-50s.

That would create animosity and everyone would want one.
I think the way they have done it fine and fair.
If all previous Dynamik are to be offered replacement to Utopik to keep products serviceable and not obsolete then this will take some time to organise manufacturing with everything else. :smt023
If it’s not broken or obsolete don’t fix it. :smt018
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Support - Target TT4.
alto

Post by alto »

Understandably, a £50k LP-12-50 investment may warrant recognition for an Utopik Radikal. Linn has offered Utopik promotions for upgrades or purchases over £3k for 3 months.
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

alto wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:40 am Understandably, a £50k LP-12-50 investment may warrant recognition for an Utopik Radikal. Linn has offered Utopik promotions for upgrades or purchases over £3k for 3 months.
The Ltd edition is a fixed product if anyone wants to upgrade they can if they want to ruin the occasion of it’s inception but upgrades from standard are optional.
At this time Dynamik is the standard.
Adding complicated variables to a special version would ruin the whole concept.
The product is what it was at the time. LTD edition. :smt023
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Support - Target TT4.
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer