Use subs with Selekt DSM and Exaktbox-I?

Somewhere to talk about all the 0's and 1's in your equipment
briardsrock

Use subs with Selekt DSM and Exaktbox-I?

Post by briardsrock »

For those of you with similar setups, what are your thoughts about whether to add subs or not to my newly setup Selekt DSM, Majik Exaktbox-I and Majik 140s? I’m just starting SO and already the improvements are noticeable and the lower notes are extremely well defined with no boomyness (word?).

I was thinking I’d leave the subs out while I explore Space Optimization , I can see this might take some time to add all of the necessary detail and also have time to relax and think through/analyze what changes are doing what.

Thoughts?
Current: LP12,Cirkus, Ittok, Adikt, Selekt Classic DSM, Majik Exaktbox-I, M140s, Paradigm Subs
Ordered: Radikal 2 machined case, Karousel, Keel, Trampoline 2, Ekos SE, Hana ML (or EBI Khumar)
Maybe - Urika II
Zee9

Re: Use subs with Selekt DSM and Exaktbox-I?

Post by Zee9 »

What subwoofers do you have ?
Main: LP12, Selekt, 4200/1, JMR Bliss Silvers.
Bedroom: Wiim> AK/0, Tundra 2.5, Kabers.
Art Studio: Genki, Kairn, 5105, Kabers.
briardsrock

Post by briardsrock »

I have a pair of Paradine powered monitors. I’ve really enjoyed them with previous setup with lp12, LK280 and Kanns.
Zee9 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:39 am What subwoofers do you have ?
Current: LP12,Cirkus, Ittok, Adikt, Selekt Classic DSM, Majik Exaktbox-I, M140s, Paradigm Subs
Ordered: Radikal 2 machined case, Karousel, Keel, Trampoline 2, Ekos SE, Hana ML (or EBI Khumar)
Maybe - Urika II
timster

Post by timster »

After my experience setting up the Kudos, I would leave the sub out until you are at optimal SO setup, especially the preference slider. I made the mistake previously (and with the 140s tbh) of leaving the slider at default 20-80 and using the sub to compensate.

At the end of the day, you might benefit from a bit of bass extension from the sub, below around 40Hz for the 140s. As you have an exaktbox though you'll only be able to use Hi-Level inputs on the sub, assuming it has them. Or en exaktboxSub, but that's not cheap!
♫ ♫
Turntable: Rega RP1/Bias 2/Carbon
Digital Music Source: QNAP HS-251+ SilentNAS
Pre-amp/Streamer: Linn Selekt DSM (U)
DAC and Digital Xovers: Linn Akurate Exaktbox10/Kat (U)
Amplification: Linn Akurate A4200/1 (D)
Speakers: Kudos Super20a
Sub-Bass: REL T5
Sundries: Linn Silver Interconnects, Kudos KS-1 Speaker Cable
♫ ♫
entdgc

Post by entdgc »

Everyone's taste is different and you must please your own ears but here is my experience...

When I first moved to Keltiks I was entranced by the bass (pre SO). Over time, as I upgraded components, I started to realise that actually most of what I was hearing was Boom and not Bass. When SO (v1) came along I was able to tame the boom and listen to the bass. There was no 'slider' in V1 but you were able to reduce the troughs in the cuts which I did by about 50%. When I turned off SO I now thought Keltiks were unlistenable! Further upgrades (Klimax 350p) and SO v2 came along. At first I was underwhelmed but I quickly found the preference slider and whacked it up a bit to get the bass back. Once again, over time, I fiddled with the slider as I started to distinguish a bit of boom again. The slider is now at 25/75 and will probably soon be at the Linn recommended 20/80.

I needed to train my ears to distinguish between bass and boom. The preference slider is of course their to enable you to fulfil your preferences but in my opinion you would need extreme circumstances or extreme audio taste if OVER TIME you end up far from the recommended 80/20. (I believe @timster case is extreme as his speaker positions are about as bad as they could be but domestic needs must... and might explain his need for bass).

My main point is give yourself time to develop and appreciate SO - I don't mean a few hours, more like weeks or even months! Revisiting the preference slider. Of course YMMV but that is my experience...

Dave
Klimax RDS/1 > Klimax Kontrol > Klimax Twin > Klimax 350p's
timster

Post by timster »

You are of course right @entdgc

The original intention when rearranging my racks was to then be able to move the left much further in from the wall. Then the Selekt decided not to play ball with my AV. So the space became unavailable again sadly.

Have to though, if it weren't for SO I'd be in a world of pain! I don’t actually need to sub now. But as an extension at its lowest frequency it just adds that extra 0.5% 😉
♫ ♫
Turntable: Rega RP1/Bias 2/Carbon
Digital Music Source: QNAP HS-251+ SilentNAS
Pre-amp/Streamer: Linn Selekt DSM (U)
DAC and Digital Xovers: Linn Akurate Exaktbox10/Kat (U)
Amplification: Linn Akurate A4200/1 (D)
Speakers: Kudos Super20a
Sub-Bass: REL T5
Sundries: Linn Silver Interconnects, Kudos KS-1 Speaker Cable
♫ ♫
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

entdgc wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:45 pm Everyone's taste is different and you must please your own ears but here is my experience...

When I first moved to Keltiks I was entranced by the bass (pre SO). Over time, as I upgraded components, I started to realise that actually most of what I was hearing was Boom and not Bass. When SO (v1) came along I was able to tame the boom and listen to the bass. There was no 'slider' in V1 but you were able to reduce the troughs in the cuts which I did by about 50%. When I turned off SO I now thought Keltiks were unlistenable! Further upgrades (Klimax 350p) and SO v2 came along. At first I was underwhelmed but I quickly found the preference slider and whacked it up a bit to get the bass back. Once again, over time, I fiddled with the slider as I started to distinguish a bit of boom again. The slider is now at 25/75 and will probably soon be at the Linn recommended 20/80.

I needed to train my ears to distinguish between bass and boom. The preference slider is of course their to enable you to fulfil your preferences but in my opinion you would need extreme circumstances or extreme audio taste if OVER TIME you end up far from the recommended 80/20. (I believe @timster case is extreme as his speaker positions are about as bad as they could be but domestic needs must... and might explain his need for bass).

My main point is give yourself time to develop and appreciate SO - I don't mean a few hours, more like weeks or even months! Revisiting the preference slider. Of course YMMV but that is my experience...

Dave
:smt023

I’m down to 85/15 (or possibly 84.5/15.5) for the same reason. Once you appreciate that the bass is actually masking musical detail…
Klimax LP12, NGKDSM Hub, Klimax 350E Organik
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer