Urika II Possible with Summer Promotion - Worth it?

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box
briardsrock

Urika II Possible with Summer Promotion - Worth it?

Post by briardsrock »

Some of you know that in the few weeks I have been a member of HIFI Kabin, that I am entering a significant upgrade era for my HIFI. The electronics portion of the upgrade were made last weekend, the Selekt DSM and the Majok Exaktbox-I, and I am already blown away!

The configuration in Option 1 has been my plan for several weeks now:

Option 1 (original plan)

LP12:
Radikal 2 machined case (8620)
Karousel (1130) 30% discount
Keel (3890)
EKOS SE (5855) 30% discount
Trampolin
Hana ML

Electronics:
Selekt Classic DSM
Majik Exaktbox-I Katalyst
Majik 140s

In the above scenario the summer promotion gives me 30% off on the EKOS SE and the Karousel

However, with the summer promotion, I could add a Urika II making a 30% discount available for the Keel, as follows:

Option 2
LP12
Radikal 2 machined case (8620)
Urika II (4300)
Karousel (1130)
Keel (3890). 30% discount
EKOS SE (5855) 30% discount
Trampolin
Hana ML

Electronics:
Selekt Classic DSM
Majik Exaktbox-I Katalyst
Majik 140s

The net net of it all is I could add the Urika II at an attractive net price, because incrementally, I would end up getting 30% off on the Keel ($3,890) instead of 30% off on a Karousel ($1,130).

So, here goes, how big of a deal is the Urika II? It is the age old question, will I have reached a configuration where diminishing returns are at the lowest point ever? Or, does adding a Urika II once again open up new vistas of unexplored musical excellence on the level of a Lingo 4 to Radikal 2 upgrade or an Ittok to EKOS SE upgrade?

I appreciate everyone's thoughts!
Current: LP12,Cirkus, Ittok, Adikt, Selekt Classic DSM, Majik Exaktbox-I, M140s, Paradigm Subs
Ordered: Radikal 2 machined case, Karousel, Keel, Trampoline 2, Ekos SE, Hana ML (or EBI Khumar)
Maybe - Urika II
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: Urika II Possible with Summer Promotion - Worth it?

Post by Coyote Jim »

Remember with any Urika you don’t need a Trampolin as it’s incorporated. :smt023
Turntable - Linn LP12, Karousel, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal 2, Urika.
Amplifier - Naim Supernait 3
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Cables- Kudos KS-1 Speaker Cable, Linn Silver Interconnects
Support - Target TT4.
briardsrock

Post by briardsrock »

I did not realize that - thx!
Coyote Jim wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 1:55 pm Remember with any Urika you don’t need a Trampolin as it’s incorporated. :smt023
Current: LP12,Cirkus, Ittok, Adikt, Selekt Classic DSM, Majik Exaktbox-I, M140s, Paradigm Subs
Ordered: Radikal 2 machined case, Karousel, Keel, Trampoline 2, Ekos SE, Hana ML (or EBI Khumar)
Maybe - Urika II
Nestor Turton

Post by Nestor Turton »

I found moving from Urika to Urika II to be a significant upgrade and I could easily hear the benefit. However, I moved from Klimax Kontrol to ADSM at the same time to accommodate the Exakt connection. So I am really saying Urika II + ADSM was more musical (whatever that means) than KK + Urika.

Over the years I moved from Rega Phono to DynaVector P75 to Naim SuperLine (not good for my setup despite sounding great in shop demo) to Urika to Urika II.

Having said all of that a DV20XL cartridge with DV P75 stage was a highly enjoyable combination.

I’m not sure if Linn has measured the Hana ML cartridge so you would need to know the appropriate levels of resistance, capacitance and gain to get the best from it,
Last edited by Nestor Turton on Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gramophone: Linn Klimax LP12, ADSM/3+KCT & Spendor D9s
Juke Box: JRiver, Chord Blu2/Dave/Etude & Harbeth P3ESR-XD
Wires: Van Damme speaker leads, Canare & Linn interconnects
Network: Eero Router, HP Switches, Connectix Cat6a & BJC Cat5e
briardsrock

Post by briardsrock »

When we installed the Selekt DSM last weekend, I went from the phono stage in my rotel preamp to the phono stage built into the Select DSM. Now my choice and option would be to move from the phono stage built into the Selekt to the Urika II.

Nestor Turton wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:34 pm I found moving from Urika to Urika II to be a significant upgrade and I could easily hear the benefit. However, I moved from Klimax Kontrol to ADSM at the same time to accommodate the Exakt connection. So I am really saying Urika II + ADSM was more musical (whatever that means) than KK + Urika.

Over the years I moved from Rega Phono to DynaVector P75 to Naim SuperLine (not good for my setup despite sounding great in shop demo) to Urika to Urika II.

Having said all of that a DV20XL cartridge with DV P75 stage was a highly enjoyable combination.
Maybe - Urika II
Nestor Turton

Post by Nestor Turton »

I’m not familiar with the phono stage in the Selekt so would strongly recommend a demo to decide. With some phono stages I found they worked at their best with a well matched cartridge. With Urika II you can choose or dial in lots of cartridges: I found it brought the best out of my DV cartridge and then was even better with a Linn Krystal. If you can dial in your Hana ML then I suspect it will sound really good and at its best (but I know nothing about Hana cartridges so I’m only saying what I’d expect).
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

The added benefit of the Urika II is that it connects to the DSM via Exaktlink, so you are no longer constrained to having the turntable next to the DSM - you could locate it 30 metres away.
Klimax LP12, NGKDSM Hub, Klimax 350E Organik
GeraldS

Post by GeraldS »

Radikal + Urika have always a discount of approximatly 2K if you buy it together.
Main: LP12 (Radikal Urika Ittok Krystal) - ASH - AEB10 - 4xAV5125 - Isobarik
2nd: Karik - Pekin - Kairn - 3xLK100 - active Kaber
13DoW

Post by 13DoW »

Moomintroll wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:10 pm The added benefit of the Urika II is that it connects to the DSM via Exaktlink, so you are no longer constrained to having the turntable next to the DSM - you could locate it 30 metres away.
That would help you get your steps in, especially if you play 45s
Nestor Turton

Post by Nestor Turton »

13DoW wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:54 pm
Moomintroll wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:10 pm The added benefit of the Urika II is that it connects to the DSM via Exaktlink, so you are no longer constrained to having the turntable next to the DSM - you could locate it 30 metres away.
That would help you get your steps in, especially if you play 45s
:lol: :lol:
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer