Tracks skipping in Tidal when playing to Akurate DS?

Somewhere to talk about all the 0's and 1's in your equipment
Mouldy Old Dough

Tracks skipping in Tidal when playing to Akurate DS?

Post by Mouldy Old Dough »

This happens in Roon and the Linn app. If I queue something up in Tidal, and hit play, it just skips through the tracks with no output from the DS. Qobuz plays fine. I am sure I have read about this elsewhere and it was maybe to do with the format of the audio in Tidal, but I thought they sorted that and were using the standard streaming format?
Moomintroll

Re: Tracks skipping in Tidal when playing to Akurate DS?

Post by Moomintroll »

A DS normally behaves like this if the track being skipped has moved location (URL) or is physically unavailable - for instance if a NAS has gone offline. Are these tracks in a saved Playlist or does it happen if you select a track just now?

I would put the blame on Tidal, nothing to do with Roon or linn app.
Klimax LP12, NGKDSM Hub, Klimax 350E Organik
Mouldy Old Dough

It happens if I browse Tidal through the Linn app? I thought it might have been Roon at fault at first. Are Tidal still using MQA?
d_pete

Post by d_pete »

I had an email at the end of June stating "On July 24, 2024, we’re replacing the music in TIDAL’s MQA catalog with FLAC versions."
Mouldy Old Dough

d_pete wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:49 am I had an email at the end of June stating "On July 24, 2024, we’re replacing the music in TIDAL’s MQA catalog with FLAC versions."
Maybe it's just a transitional issue?
timster

Post by timster »

There was something about Tidal hi res not working. Although it was supposed to automatically down sample I think.
♫ ♫
Turntable: Rega RP1/Bias 2/Carbon
Digital Music Source: QNAP HS-251+ SilentNAS
Pre-amp/Streamer: Linn Selekt DSM (U)
DAC and Digital Xovers: Linn Akurate Exaktbox10/Kat (U)
Amplification: Linn Akurate A4200/1 (D)
Speakers: Kudos Super20a
Sub-Bass: REL T5
Sundries: Linn Silver Interconnects, Kudos KS-1 Speaker Cable
♫ ♫
akamatsu

Post by akamatsu »

I had the opposite; Tidal worked fine while Qobuz would do the scrolling without playing. It turned out to be a network issue. Tech support at my ISP provided a custom DNS and backup. I rarely experience that problem anymore.
Linn Klimax LP12, Linn NG Klimax DSM hub (Utopik), Linn 360s

Michael
dikki

Post by dikki »

I had this issue with Qobuz a couple of times. Each time I was able to fix it to force a renewed login. My tentative conclusion was that it had to do with keys not being up to date. It should log you out though, but it doesn't.

So logout / login and in my case this was fixed. However, I wasn't on Tidal, so maybe it is something else.
LP12 (Radikal 2 Standard/Urika II/ Ekos SE/ Kandid/ Kore); Selekt Classic; 530; Oppo 83 DVD; Burson Conductor 3; Burson Composer 3; ZMF Eikon; backup TT Thorens TD320 MK3/ Adikt
Mouldy Old Dough

I'll try logging out and back in, although it happens in both Roon and Linn apps. So not particular to one login and one app, unless it is an account issue.
Mouldy Old Dough

I just tried signing out of my Tidal account in the Linn app and signed back in again. Tracks are still skipping. Tried the Tidal app on my iPad and that plays fine, and also works over Airplay to my ADSM. Tried the same album in Roon through Tidal and that works fine.

Looks like it is the Linn app that has the issue? I’ll try uninstalling it and reinstalling.
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim »

Don’t get any of that skipping malarkey with digital. :roll:
Playing discs is far less stressful. :smt023
Turntable - Linn LP12, Karousel, Keel, Ekos SE/1, Kandid, K-Radikal 2, Urika.
Amplifier - Naim Supernait 3
CD Player - Naim CD5si
Speakers - Kudos X3
Cables- Kudos KS-1 Speaker Cable, Linn Silver Interconnects
Support - Target TT4.
Mouldy Old Dough

Just tested it on my iPhone and that does the same.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Mouldy Old Dough wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:08 am I just tried signing out of my Tidal account in the Linn app and signed back in again. Tracks are still skipping. Tried the Tidal app on my iPad and that plays fine, and also works over Airplay to my ADSM. Tried the same album in Roon through Tidal and that works fine.

Looks like it is the Linn app that has the issue? I’ll try uninstalling it and reinstalling.
No, not necessarily. The Tidal app will call a different URL to Linn AFAIK. Which DNS are you using from your router/modem? Have you tried changing that to the Google or Cloudflare ones?

Dave
Klimax LP12, NGKDSM Hub, Klimax 350E Organik
Mouldy Old Dough

Moomintroll wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:23 am
Mouldy Old Dough wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:08 am I just tried signing out of my Tidal account in the Linn app and signed back in again. Tracks are still skipping. Tried the Tidal app on my iPad and that plays fine, and also works over Airplay to my ADSM. Tried the same album in Roon through Tidal and that works fine.

No, not necessarily. The Tidal app will call a different URL to Linn AFAIK. Which DNS are you using from your router/modem? Have you tried changing that to the Google or Cloudflare ones?

Dave
I’ll try that. It will just be the standard Sky DNS servers.
Mouldy Old Dough

I have them as 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4

I had issues in the past with some Sony devices not being able to run the online firmware update with the standard DNS servers.
Skrotis

Post by Skrotis »

Mouldy Old Dough wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:55 am I have them as 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4

I had issues in the past with some Sony devices not being able to run the online firmware update with the standard DNS servers.
If it is intended to use Google public DNS, it should be IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers.
Linn Klimax DSM/3 Hub, Klimax 350E Organik, LP12/Karousel/Ekos 2/Krystal/Linto
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer