Off to Cymbiosis

You mean there's more to HiFi than a LP12?

Moderators: The Krew, The Kurators

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Re: Off to Cymbiosis

Post by Wenge1 »

Coyote Jim wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:44 pm
Wenge1 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:34 pm
evil_C wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:49 am Congratulations on your new acquisition, Adam, and thanks for the great write up. I just had a look at the price :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have two suggestions:

1) Enjoy hearing all the previously hidden details in your record collection; and,

2) Be EXTRA careful when dusting the arm board!
Cheers Clive - any dusting around there will involve putting the cart cover on ............... :smt023
7/10 Kartridge Kills occur during fitting or removing the stylus guard. :smt045
Not a lot of people know that. :smt018
I was not aware of that actually - I might just have to continue the 'extreme care whilst dusting' approach that I have always done
LP12 - Klimax Radikal/Urika, Harban Plinth, Karousel, Keel, Karmen, Ekos SE, Skale, Lyra Atlas
CD Player - dCS Puccini CD Player + Scarlatti Master Clock
Amps - KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D)
Speakers - Triangle Magellan Duetto on Track Audio 600 stands
Cables - Chord Sarum Super Arrays + Kudos KS-1 speaker cable
Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion »

Coyote Jim wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:44 pm
Wenge1 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:34 pm
evil_C wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:49 am <snip>
2) Be EXTRA careful when dusting the arm board!
Cheers Clive - any dusting around there will involve putting the cart cover on ............... :smt023
7/10 Kartridge Kills occur during fitting or removing the stylus guard. :smt045
Not a lot of people know that. :smt018
I always hate putting the cover on before packing the fruitbox up for transport.Buttock clenching few moments until I know its secure.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Karousel, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
NAIM CD 5si with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
ThePre, ZAP 250, Kudos Super 20's
vincent

Post by vincent »

Wenge1 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:59 pm .

To be slightly more quantifiable, the improvement I found when moving from the Linn Krystal to the Linn Kandid was a clear and obvious one and I did regret it for a moment. For me, the improvement between the Kandid and the Atlas is significantly greater.

Great write-up, I've only just caught up with this thread. Congratulations on the Atlas – I'm sure it's awesome.

Interesting that you went straight from Linn Kandid to Lyra Atlas. That's a big step up in price and performance. You don't say (unless I've missed it) whether you considered the Lyra Etna, in either the standard or SL version.

Having owned a Lyra Kleos SL for some four years, I'm considering the Etna SL as my next cartridge. Just to confuse matters, there is now the new Linn Ekstatic also to consider, about the same price taking account of trade-in on the Kleos.

Choices, choices!
LP12 (Tiger Paw Stratos, sKale; Karousel, Keel, KRadikal, Ekos SE, Exakt 2, Lyra Kleos SL); Exakt DSM; Exakt Akubariks 2.
Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 »

vincent wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:13 pm
Wenge1 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:59 pm .

To be slightly more quantifiable, the improvement I found when moving from the Linn Krystal to the Linn Kandid was a clear and obvious one and I did regret it for a moment. For me, the improvement between the Kandid and the Atlas is significantly greater.

Great write-up, I've only just caught up with this thread. Congratulations on the Atlas – I'm sure it's awesome.

Interesting that you went straight from Linn Kandid to Lyra Atlas. That's a big step up in price and performance. You don't say (unless I've missed it) whether you considered the Lyra Etna, in either the standard or SL version.

Having owned a Lyra Kleos SL for some four years, I'm considering the Etna SL as my next cartridge. Just to confuse matters, there is now the new Linn Ekstatic also to consider, about the same price taking account of trade-in on the Kleos.

Choices, choices!
Hiya Vincent, no just went straight for the Atlas. The Etna is a great cart and is a step up from the Kandid and your Kleos SL. The Atlas is a further step up again and is a different design to the Kleos SL. I make no comment whatsoever on sounds per £ or law of diminishing returns on money spent because we are talking of cost levels way above where that is a consideration. Its up to individual choice. I'm sure that if you went up to the Etna you would love its impact. If anybody has concerns over cost (and I'm not in any way saying that you would have or would not) then the world of exotic carts at this cost level is not for them.
LP12 - Klimax Radikal/Urika, Harban Plinth, Karousel, Keel, Karmen, Ekos SE, Skale, Lyra Atlas
CD Player - dCS Puccini CD Player + Scarlatti Master Clock
Amps - KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D)
Speakers - Triangle Magellan Duetto on Track Audio 600 stands
Cables - Chord Sarum Super Arrays + Kudos KS-1 speaker cable
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer