Linn Turntable New Developments

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderators: The Krew, The Kurators

FangfossFlyer

Re: Linn Turntable New Developments

Post by FangfossFlyer »

LD100 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:55 am I have always liked the flutes...but I noticed they don't have the black along the bottom edge as they did in days of yore...jeepers, I wonder if that would "lighten" the sound? :smt017 :roll: :lol: :smt043

I prefer a plain black plinth to any other but after saying that my brother has a fluted plinth which he sprayed in satin black and it looks great.

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W
LD100

Post by LD100 »

FangfossFlyer wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:54 pm
I prefer a plain black plinth to any other but after saying that my brother has a fluted plinth which he sprayed in satin black and it looks great.

Richard
Indeed, I find that all the different woods and colors each have their own charms and I would have a difficult time choosing just one these days.
When I bought mine in 1978, the only option available from the dealer in Chicago was "fluted Afromosia"; take it or leave it.
So I took it and it has stood the test of time. :smt007 :smt020

And it does look nice in black...
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.
Derosa

Post by Derosa »

I sold my lp12 due to Covid last year after having one for 35 years and had got to a very nice spec
Almost klimax but akurate Radikal and Krystal cartridge
I enjoyed doing the upgrades but I needed to sell to raise the cash :(
I think if I had kept it I would probably have got the ‘free’ karousel and either a new kandid or klimax Radikal
If I had gone Radikal I would have been really cheesed off that a few months later I needed to pump another £1750 into it :smt013
Clearaudio concept mc
Naim stageline S
Rega Saturn CD as transport into Theta TLC
then into Marantz HD DAC1
Stax L700 006ts Kimik headphones
Naim nait xs2
Neat Momentum 3i
all supported by mana clamps and racks :smt020
Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 »

Derosa wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:01 pm I sold my lp12 due to Covid last year after having one for 35 years and had got to a very nice spec
Almost klimax but akurate Radikal and Krystal cartridge
I enjoyed doing the upgrades but I needed to sell to raise the cash :(
I think if I had kept it I would probably have got the ‘free’ karousel and either a new kandid or klimax Radikal
If I had gone Radikal I would have been really cheesed off that a few months later I needed to pump another £1750 into it :smt013
Very sorry to hear that you had to sell your LP12 last year - rotten luck that.

But I don't really follow the logic of your last sentence. Linn (and just about every other HiFi manufacturer) are always looking to improve their products. If you had purchased a Klimax Radikal a few months before the current improvement you would have two choices; firstly do nothing and enjoy the product you had purchased because you liked it or get the upgrade. The latter would not cost you any more than if you had waited a few months because the change in price for the new Klimax Radical 2 over the 1 model is the same as the cost of the upgrade.

Just because any of us buys a top of the range component does not mean that it will stay the case forever. It never will unless the company manufacturing it goes bust. After all, nothing is forcing any of us to buy these 'luxury' products. In the circumstances you describe, what would be annoying would be if the change in the product made the one it just superseded worth less in £ value. In the case of the Klimax Radikal 2, this is not the case. In £ terms, Klimax Radikal 2 = Klimax Radikal 1 + Upgrade.
LP12 - Klimax Radikal 2/Urika, Harban Plinth, Karousel, Keel, Karmen, Ekos SE, Skale, Lyra Atlas
CD Player - dCS Puccini CD Player + Scarlatti Master Clock
Amps - KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D)
Speakers - Triangle Magellan Duetto on Track Audio 600 stands
Cables - Chord Sarum Super Arrays + Kudos KS-1 speaker cable
Derosa

Post by Derosa »

Hi Adam
I was just thinking out loud and talking hypothetically
Having limited funds is a sure way of preventing you from climbing on the upgrade band wagon.which is definitely where I am now :lol:
Clearaudio concept mc
Naim stageline S
Naim nait xs2
Neat Momentum 3i
Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 »

Derosa wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:08 pm Hi Adam
I was just thinking out loud and talking hypothetically
Having limited funds is a sure way of preventing you from climbing on the upgrade band wagon.which is definitely where I am now :lol:
That's for sure - but I have always said (and many times on here) that the music IS the most important thing and I was as enthusiastic about music way back when I literally had nothing like the system I now have. It's good to see you back .......... :smt023
LP12 - Klimax Radikal 2/Urika, Harban Plinth, Karousel, Keel, Karmen, Ekos SE, Skale, Lyra Atlas
Derosa

Post by Derosa »

Spot on !
When Peter took my lp12 back that he had taken great care of over 10 years he looked me in the eye ( you know ‘that’ look ) and said to me ‘Don’t sell your records will you’
And I have been enjoying them all again now I can afford to get another table :smt020 :smt020
Clearaudio concept mc
Naim stageline S
Naim nait xs2
Neat Momentum 3i
Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 »

Derosa wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:36 pm Spot on !
When Peter took my lp12 back that he had taken great care of over 10 years he looked me in the eye ( you know ‘that’ look ) and said to me ‘Don’t sell your records will you’
And I have been enjoying them all again now I can afford to get another table :smt020 :smt020
Can't add anything to that except congrats on keeping the most important of your old system - the vinyl ........ :smt036
FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer »

Wenge1 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:43 pm
Derosa wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:36 pm Spot on !
Can't add anything to that except congrats on keeping the most important of your old system - the vinyl ........ :smt036
Yes, and some good sagely advice from Peter.

Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W
HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer