Show us your LP12

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

LD100

Re: Show us your LP12

Post by LD100 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:25 am

I would lean toward low output...fewer windings...less mass...less inertia...better transient response...
hence the popularity of the "Single Layer" version of the Kleos, Etna and Atlas. :smt023
Of course I'm highly biased. :smt007

But if you come to the dark side and buy a MC, you get to buy a whole new cartridge when you wear it out. (Or retip, which of course still requires the entire cartridge to be removed from the tonearm.) :smt017 :smt017 :roll:
Moving Magnets do have their attractive features. :smt045
Last edited by LD100 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:35 am

Well now.
I've been looking for quite a while now about other people's choices and decisions considering the being burned by Krystal scenario.
And while some have either upgraded well away from Krystal or stayed in the similar price bracket I use the Urika for its super matching to Linn carts " still using one " but for others it seems that the linn level Phonostage is very middle of the road input level wise.
Had I not been in the position I'm in I would be very happy to embrace the Lyra DNA into a Linn cartridge balanced head amp.
Very low output moving coils are in old experience susceptible to noise because of the increased gain required for best operation but newer electronics might have well overcome this phenomenon.
High output moving coils can usually be used in a normal phono stage but still shows symptoms of my previous statement.
The carts I think you would be looking at are all rather mid output so a mid balance might be best.
I know others on here will give their thoughts but I know of a very low output being used with Urika with great results for the owner.
And I know of others that have the mid power vibe also being used with Urika.
My use of the word Urika also probably equates to the Linn level stageline but I'm out if my comfort zone with Naim gear and would prefer more experienced input on this.
Now knowing what I do having went for Kandid to get away from that subcontracted manufacturer I've no hesitation at the same price point to recommend with the DNA I mentioned earlier a Lyra Delos with the Linn cartridge stageline.
Only my thoughts and I will wait the incoming from owners more experienced in Naim gear.
Hope this helps.
When I clap my hands you will be fully awake. :smt015 :shock:
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:00 am

LD100 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:25 am
I would lean toward low output...fewer windings...less mass...less inertia...better transient response...
hence the popularity of the "Single Layer" version of the Kleos, Etna and Atlas. :smt023
Of course I'm highly biased. :smt007

But if you come to the dark side and buy a MC, you get to buy a whole new cartridge when you wear it out. (Or retip, which of course still requires the entire cartridge to be removed from the tonearm.) :smt017 :smt017 :roll:
Moving Magnets do have their attractive features. :smt045
A change of stylus every 2 years out and in. 8)
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:37 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:35 am
I've no hesitation at the same price point to recommend with the DNA I mentioned earlier a Lyra Delos with the Linn cartridge stageline.
The Krystal is a great cart if you get a good one. If I was going for a new cart without having an mc to trade in and given the 'potential issues' that may come with getting a Krystal I would definitely go for Lyra Delos ....... :smt023
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Red Chris

Post by Red Chris » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:59 pm

I'm a Lyra fanboy - I use one and have no plans to change. But my go to great sounding and wonderful VFM cartridges would be the Dynavector 20X2 and especially the XX2 Mk II.
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

On the vinyl

Post by On the vinyl » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:45 pm

I too was very sceptical before I was offered a Krystal and a Dynavector karat very cheaply with hardly any running but it was to good to miss.
I have to say that running through nac 82 and 250 hicap the Krystal sounds truly wonderful then when it warms up, my oh my.
One can only imagine what the Kandid brings? :smt020
I know what the coyote thinks...!
Lp12, Ekos se, radikal, kore, Krystal, Trampoline 2
and Mr Swains fairy dust.
Nap250,Nac82,High cap plus other Naim black and olive.
Tomorrow we enter the town of my birth, I want to be ready.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:08 am

Don't get me wrong about Krystal if you get one on song it is really amazing but the inconsistency of SQ and reliability far outweighed what I could be doing with.
My initial thought to get rid was replace with Delos the thinking out loud I know that Wenge of this Krew had replaced an old Delos with his first Krystal so sent me on the thinking that to keep all the DNA together knowing that Lyra make the Kandid it was either a Kleos or Kandid and my dealer had no influence in the final decision but he did point out the spec similarities and the price difference.
So I bit the bullet for the extra and kept the three point mount and fly leads and considering the rest of my deck I couldn't help feeling I'd be sinking the ship of a ha' peth of tar.
I definitely don't regret it as the Kandid really delivers with great authority and presence without adding a signature if it's own it just delivers in all departments.
Whether I would spend so much when it comes to replacement i really dont know I've got a decent collection of Vinyl that I still want to enjoy but the new stuff coming out really isn't up to the quality of the good old days. :smt009
:smt015 wakey wakey :shock:
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer