RCM and Record Cleaning

The Repository for useful Information, documents and the like.
Please send suggestions for inclusion to The Kaptain

Moderator: The Kurators

Jazz Club

Re: RCM and Record Cleaning

Post by Jazz Club » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Steel City wrote:Got this for Chrstmas.... :D :smt026 :smt023

Graham,
If its a project really give it some hard work while its new.
They don't have the best reliability track record.
Just hope it doesn't give up or vac tube falls off while cleaning one of your much prized LPs.

Steel City

Post by Steel City » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:12 pm

Jazz Club wrote:

Graham,
Just hope it doesn't give up or vac tube falls off while cleaning one of your much prized LPs.
Will do thanks for the HU ...will let you all know throughout 2017 how it goes so far so good !! :mrg:
Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:24 pm

Steel City wrote:
Jazz Club wrote:

Graham,
Will do thanks for the HU ...will let you all know throughout 2017 how it goes so far so good !! :mrg:
Graham,
Are you using Doctor Steve's Image mix ?

Steel City

Post by Steel City » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:13 pm

Jazz Club wrote:
Steel City wrote:
Jazz Club wrote:

Graham,
Graham,
Are you using Doctor Steve's Image mix ?
Indeed , Dr Blues magic mixture. :smt023

Jazz Club

Post by Jazz Club » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Graham,
Hows your Project doing now you've have had it a while?

Steel City

Post by Steel City » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:42 am

Jazz Club wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:03 pm
Graham,
So far so good :smt023 used it most days since I got it including this morning. The vacuum is noisy but very efficient, however don't think I will ever get round to cleaning all my records.. :

ATB Graham.

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Steel City wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:42 am
Jazz Club wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:03 pm
Graham,
So far so good :smt023 used it most days since I got it including this morning. The vacuum is noisy but very efficient, however don't think I will ever get round to cleaning all my records.. :

ATB Graham.
Hi Graham, good to hear that it's still going strong. Are you still as impressed as you were at the start with respect to it's cleaning capability and it's ease of use? Also, how long does it take to clean a record both sides?
LP12 - Klimax Radikal/Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Kandid
CD Player - dCS Puccini CD Player + Scarlatti Master Clock
Amps - KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D)
Speakers - ProAc Response D2's
Cables - Chord Sarum Super Arrays + Chord Signature speaker cable

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:49 pm

@Graham,
It appears that there's not a full size platter, so how does it cope with warped discs?

I assume you still need to allow the records to dry after the vacuuming operation, or is it as effective as a KM in that regard?

Steel City

Post by Steel City » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:49 pm

evil_C wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:49 pm
@Graham,
It appears that there's not a full size platter, so how does it cope with warped discs?

I assume you still need to allow the records to dry after the vacuuming operation, or is it as effective as a KM in that regard?
True not a full size platter but has a record type clamp which screws tight over the label and stops the record from rotating on the spindle. The vacuum is very effective but noisy takes about 10 seconds rotation both forward & backwards for a completely dry record ready to play. Unlike the KM you can't play music and clean at the same time as demonstrated by Steve J when I went to visit. Regarding warped discs most of the records I am current cleaning are not warped or new except for the monthly Music Matters none of which have ever been warped. I could not justify the cost of a KM so very happy with the pro--ject :smt023 .

ATB Graham

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:32 pm

Steel City wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:49 pm
evil_C wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:49 pm
@Graham,

True not a full size platter but has a record type clamp which screws tight over the label and stops the record from rotating on the spindle. The vacuum is very effective but noisy takes about 10 seconds rotation both forward & backwards for a completely dry record ready to play. Unlike the KM you can't play music and clean at the same time as demonstrated by Steve J when I went to visit. Regarding warped discs most of the records I am current cleaning are not warped or new except for the monthly Music Matters none of which have ever been warped. I could not justify the cost of a KM so very happy with the pro--ject :smt023 .

ATB Graham
Thanks for the reply, Graham. The Okki Nokki certainly doesn't dry the record so that it's ready to play immediately after cleaning, and despite best practice vacuuming, there's always a small strip which remains damp. So it sounds like your machine might beat the ON in that respect. I would be interested to see how it performs with warped discs though, but it seems this really is a case where you get what you pay for and that still means a Keith Monks.
Cheers, Clive

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer