Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

User avatar
Red Chris
Full Member
Posts: 1952
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:39 pm
Location: Stretford End Lower

Re: Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Post by Red Chris » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:47 pm

Hi Vincent - It would be very interesting to hear your views in due course. I'm going to hold fire on the Javelin for the moment but hopefully will get one sometime next year. Will have to wait and see 8)

I can safely say that I am a potential Tangerine Audio fanboy based on what I have heard so far, but really need to spend some time with an Aro or Javelin equipped one. No rush. All is good. :smt023
Currently Cymbiosis LP12 Woodsong Wenge, Klimax Radikal/Chord Sarum T, Keel/A, Khan, Tranquility, Urika/Chord SSA, Aro, sKale, Lyra Kleos SL - Sondek owner since 1982 - the rest is Naim, Chord and Kudos 8)

User avatar
vincent
Full Member
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:00 pm

Re: Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Post by vincent » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:31 pm

Well, the home-dem’s been done, involving the better part of a day’s listening to selected benchmarks - first on my LP12, then on the Stiletto/Skorpion. The original plan was that I would have the deck over the w/e, but in the end neither I nor dealer were comfortable with my being left to play with 25k’s worth of LP12 (including Kleos SL) over four days. The only differences between decks, apart from the base/plinth, were the Tiger Paw sKale and Tranquility on my Khan’d LP12.

The dem

We agreed that my LP12 sounded very good. Following meticulous setting up and some running in time, the Stiletto/Skorpion LP12 was very, very good: somehow a little more natural and effortless in presentation, and just a tad leaner and more precise. Having arrived cold to the touch after more than an hour on the road on a chilly day, the sound improved noticeably as the deck settled and warmed up.

Though not a ’night and day’ improvement, I felt that the S/S unveiled another layer of musical information, especially with darker recordings (e.g. Randy Crawford’s ‘Rio de Janeiro Blues’). Everything sounded very natural. Treble was beautifully resolved, and complex instrumentation accurately rendered. John Martyn’s ‘Some People are Crazy’ (from 1980’s Grace and Danger) was superb. I felt that a more open window was being offered into the music. :smt020

Listening to what I regard as more delicate or brighter recordings (Suzanne Vega, ‘Solitude Standing’; Martin Stephenson, ‘Left Us to Burn’; Hue and Cry, ‘My Salt Heart’), I was less convinced of overall improvement: certainly different, but not necessarily better or more musical. I wasn’t hearing the bass line on ‘Solitude Standing’ with quite the resolution I was expecting :smt017 (but this record was second on, with the deck still cold). I included these records in the play list because I wanted to hear how the S/S dealt with material that can sound a little bright and forward in my system. Just for fun, we wound up the volume a bit, ending with tracks from Who’s Next (Baba O’Riley) and Led Zeppelin II (Heartbreaker).

Time came for the S/S to travel back home up the M23. After re-installing my own deck and listening again to some of the same records, what did I think? Was I going to be able to live with my 1980s standard issue wooden fruit box?

Simple answer is that the jury is still out. I was surprised by how good my LP12 sounded - not least, and perhaps surprisingly, with the heavy rock classics. Rather like Chris's experience listening to his own LP12 after the Sratos and S/S demo at Cymbiosis (post of Nov 30th 2018 above), I like the balance of my current setup, which has taken a long time to achieve. I have a strong suspicion that the Tranquility (on my deck but not on the S/S) has a lot to do with its analogue quality and musicality. Perhaps not so surprising, as the reason I bought the Tranq in the first place was its synergy in my Exakt system.

That leaves the big question as to what the S/S would sound like with Tranquility installed. If the Tranq raises the LP12 to another level in a wooden plinth (as enthusiasts believe), why should it not have a similar effect in a machined aluminium plinth? Would it restore synergy in my all-Exakt (Urika II) system? Might some other tweak have delivered anticipated benefits?

On reflection, and with more time, we might have tried my Tranq on the S/S (though it would have upset the balance due to increased weight of the platter). Of course I would have been unable to resist this if I’d been left to my own devices with the S/S for the whole weekend.

Conclusion

The Stiletto/Skorpion is beautifully engineered. The flush black plinth looked fabulous above my KEDSM and Klimax Radikal (though were I to have one, it would be fluted). I thought it sounded better than my LP12 with some, but not necessarily all material. On reflection I don’t think half a day+ was really long enough for the deck to settle and acclimatise to room temperature, so I might not have heard it at its best.

As things stand, I’m not ruling out buying an S/S. But nor am I sufficiently persuaded to commit now. I would need ideally to listen to the S/S for a longer period, and with a wider range of material, in order to judge finally whether it justified the cost. I would also want to listen with a Tranquility.

User avatar
Mr Onion
Site Moderator
Posts: 5803
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:13 pm
Location: Between two Super 20's

Re: Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Post by Mr Onion » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Sounds like an interesting if not quite as informative as you had hoped for day. Certainly leaves room for more investigation (and I agree, being left with 25ks worth of someone elses stuff for the weekend would make me a bit jittery as well)
James
_________________

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

User avatar
FangfossFlyer
Full Member
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:44 pm
Location: York, U.K.

Re: Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Post by FangfossFlyer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:01 pm

Vincent,
Thanks for a great write up and all very interesting.
Richard
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

User avatar
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator
Posts: 7593
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: "In The Groove"

Re: Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Post by Coyote Jim » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:43 pm

Mr Onion wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:57 pm
Sounds like an interesting if not quite as informative as you had hoped for day. Certainly leaves room for more investigation (and I agree, being left with 25ks worth of someone elses stuff for the weekend would make me a bit jittery as well)

No problem for some. :wink:
I find it all very interesting no matter what you spend the only thing that makes it sing is Tranquility. :smt017
It's in the ears of the listener and the wallet for long term budget.
There are arguments for and against. :shock:
Starts to get a bit out of order when indoor temperature of parts is in the equation at a mechanical level. :roll:
Who had a lamp beside their cart in the good old days. :smt005
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

User avatar
dan steel
Queue Moderator
Posts: 9898
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:56 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Post by dan steel » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:02 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:43 pm
Mr Onion wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:57 pm
Sounds like an interesting if not quite as informative as you had hoped for day. Certainly leaves room for more investigation (and I agree, being left with 25ks worth of someone elses stuff for the weekend would make me a bit jittery as well)

No problem for some. :wink:
I find it all very interesting no matter what you spend the only thing that makes it sing is Tranquility. :smt017
It's in the ears of the listener and the wallet for long term budget.
There are arguments for and against. :shock:
Starts to get a bit out of order when indoor temperature of parts is in the equation at a mechanical level. :roll:
Who had a lamp beside their cart in the good old days. :smt005

Must admit my LP12 sounds different every time her indoors turns the cooker on. :roll:
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

Wenge1
Queue Moderator
Posts: 3972
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:26 pm

Re: Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Post by Wenge1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:39 pm

.
Many thanks to Vincent for taking the time and effort to write up his thoughts. As C.J. said, it's always in the ear of the beholder. What jumps out at me however is that for what would be a large outlay for the potential upgrade, I would want to be very sure that I was getting a very noticeable improvement.

If I have read the review correctly, this was definitely not the case for Vincent. Therefore, I'm not sure why I would spend all that extra cash unless of course you just want to own it .................. :smt023
.
.
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's
.

User avatar
Coyote Jim
Site Moderator
Posts: 7593
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm
Location: "In The Groove"

Re: Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Post by Coyote Jim » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:17 pm

Wenge1 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:39 pm
If I have read the review correctly, this was definitely not the case for Vincent. Therefore, I'm not sure why I would spend all that extra cash unless of course you just want to own it .................. :smt023
.

Adam,
Diplomatically put that's what I meant.
As is it's as good as the bank breaker and the only improvement therafter is what the Tranquility would bring.
Why bother just buy a black Linn plinth and a ton of records at least they seem like being in trend for a bit longer. :wink:
I've not heard any momentum hype about any of the super duper upgrades since months before Christmas maybe everyone that wants one has it already. :roll:
Space Optimisation seems to be ticking all the boxes for the seriously afflicted. :smt005
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

User avatar
evil_C
Full Member
Posts: 1955
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:14 am

Re: Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Post by evil_C » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 am

dan steel wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:02 pm
Coyote Jim wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:43 pm
Mr Onion wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:57 pm
Sounds like an interesting if not quite as informative as you had hoped for day. Certainly leaves room for more investigation (and I agree, being left with 25ks worth of someone elses stuff for the weekend would make me a bit jittery as well)

No problem for some. :wink:
I find it all very interesting no matter what you spend the only thing that makes it sing is Tranquility. :smt017
It's in the ears of the listener and the wallet for long term budget.
There are arguments for and against. :shock:
Starts to get a bit out of order when indoor temperature of parts is in the equation at a mechanical level. :roll:
Who had a lamp beside their cart in the good old days. :smt005

Must admit my LP12 sounds different every time her indoors turns the cooker on. :roll:

I can't help wondering what it sounds like if YOU turn the cooker on, Jim! :D

User avatar
dan steel
Queue Moderator
Posts: 9898
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:56 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Post by dan steel » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:26 am

evil_C wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 am
dan steel wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:02 pm
Coyote Jim wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:43 pm
Mr Onion wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:57 pm
Sounds like an interesting if not quite as informative as you had hoped for day. Certainly leaves room for more investigation (and I agree, being left with 25ks worth of someone elses stuff for the weekend would make me a bit jittery as well)

No problem for some. :wink:
I find it all very interesting no matter what you spend the only thing that makes it sing is Tranquility. :smt017
It's in the ears of the listener and the wallet for long term budget.
There are arguments for and against. :shock:
Starts to get a bit out of order when indoor temperature of parts is in the equation at a mechanical level. :roll:
Who had a lamp beside their cart in the good old days. :smt005

Must admit my LP12 sounds different every time her indoors turns the cooker on. :roll:

I can't help wondering what it sounds like if YOU turn the cooker on, Jim! :D

Image
On full blast Clive. 8)
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer