Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Post by Coyote Jim » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:58 am

image.jpeg
What Cha Got Cookin ? :p :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

vincent

Post by vincent » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:20 am

Coyote Jim wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:43 pm

Starts to get a bit out of order when indoor temperature of parts is in the equation at a mechanical level. :roll:
Sure, but it was a very cold day, and the deck was noticeably cold out of the box. I'm assuming that metal casework retains cold (as well as heat) for longer than other materials; and that LP12 components including wires and cartridge probably aren't at their best when cold.

I think this calls for an experiment. Next really cold night, park your LP12 out in the garden (suitably protected from elements, foxes etc), re-install in the morning and see if it sounds any better or worse (gotta be done quickly though 'cos those wooden frames don't take long to acclimatise) :lol:

Out of respect to the dealer who has gone to a great deal of time and trouble arranging the dem, for no material reward, I was bending over backwards to be fair in my review, while making clear that other factors were likely to have been more important. :smt020

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:26 am

vincent wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:20 am
I think this calls for an experiment. Next really cold night, park your LP12 out in the garden (suitably protected from elements, foxes etc), re-install in the morning and see if it sounds any better or worse (gotta be done quickly though 'cos those wooden frames don't take long to acclimatise) :lol:

The quick way to ensure you will need a new plinth. Slightest damp and
screenshot_15.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:12 pm

vincent wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:20 am
Coyote Jim wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:43 pm

Starts to get a bit out of order when indoor temperature of parts is in the equation at a mechanical level. :roll:

Don't put my deck outside to play so why would I do this. :roll:
The temperature changes in an average domestic home aren't going to be so extreme as to make any difference. :smt018
Temperature of mechanical moving parts are susceptible to variations in the extreme " car engine runs better warmed up " but static items I think much less so.
Coils diaphragms and electronic components yes.
Also the thermal properties of Wood and Metal are entirely different.
I'd be concerned if I lived in an igloo but as the magnetic properties of the planetary poles might affect the Tranquillity more than any plinth temperature. :lol:
I wonder if there's a Space Optimisation setting for temperature. :smt017 :smt005
"Cymbiosis"

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:37 pm

To be fair to Vincent - certain components can get cold when putting them in boots on cold days and then transporting them. When I took my Klimax Twin down to Norfolk when James was checking out different power amps it was noticeably cold to the touch when I got there. Linn Klimax gear have loads of aluminium in them so its easy to understand why this might happen. I did connect it up to the power and warm it up before using it that day .............. :smt023 .... The same thing, although obviously to lesser degree, happens at my place when I have not used my gear for 24 hrs or more. I will give it around 15 minutes or more powered up before using it.

Of course, the metal warms up pretty quickly too. And it will certainly be at operating temperature fairly quickly once inside a warm room and being powered up for a shortish time. Of course, you can always play the gear and it will be warming up all the time. In other words after an hour or two, all temperature influences should have long dwindled into the background IMHO ........ 8)

I have never tested this with comparative listening tests, life is far to short and it would also send me round the twist ....... :smt036
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:18 am

You mean you don't leave your audio equipment powered on all the time, Adam? I have certainly experienced quite lengthy warm up effects with Naim equipment, especially the preamp.

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:04 pm

evil_C wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:18 am
You mean you don't leave your audio equipment powered on all the time, Adam? I have certainly experienced quite lengthy warm up effects with Naim equipment, especially the preamp.

By not switched on I mean that when i go away I switch it all off by removing plugs from the wall Clive. Otherwise the Klimax Radikal and Twin are left on. I leave the KK/1 in stand by. I get the LP12 spinning for around 15 mins before using it. I take the KK/1 out of standby when I switch the LP12 on. I hope all that makes sense ........... :smt023
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:59 am

I feel a survey coming on
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

vincent

Post by vincent » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:02 am

So the trail has gone cold on the Stiletto/Skorpion as a potential upgrade. That's a big saving already :smt023

In the S/S dem I missed the Tranquility and the qualities that it brings to my Exakt system. I also wonder whether the very hard coupling of the Skorpion feet to the baseboard of my Vulkan wall shelf was quite right in my system. :smt017

I’m still intrigued by the possibility of wringing a bit more from my LP12 with a machined aluminium plinth. It would be great if there were an alternative to the S/S designed to be compatible with the Tranquility and other Tiger Paw parts, and with Trampolin feet. xss07

It’s an itch I have to scratch.

Gotta get a Stratos into the house somehow …

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:29 am

vincent wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:02 am

It’s an itch I have to scratch.

Gotta get a Stratos into the house somehow …

With the experience and the dedication behind his products then as you say the tranquillity floats your boat " no pun intended " then it seems obvious to me that the synergy involved in the combined engineering DNA seems like a no brainer if your intent on parting with dosh. :shock:
I have no third party products on my deck and I'm very pleased with the performance one has to just say at some point enough is enough and enjoy the music. :smt020
Every change on everything will make some sort of contribution to a " change " it's only your frame of mind that determines better or not. :smt017
Stop listening to the system. :wink:
"Cymbiosis"

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer