vincent

Re: Tiger Paw Stratos and Tangerine Stiletto

Post by vincent » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:53 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:29 am
vincent wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:02 am

It’s an itch I have to scratch.

Gotta get a Stratos into the house somehow …

With the experience and the dedication behind his products then as you say the tranquillity floats your boat " no pun intended " then it seems obvious to me that the synergy involved in the combined engineering DNA seems like a no brainer if your intent on parting with dosh. :shock:
Stop listening to the system. :wink:
Well yes Jim, but we wouldn't be where we are now without listening to the system at least to some degree - it's part of the condition. Itch itch. :smt036

I'm not parting with dosh unless very certain of definite improvement. :smt018

Where is Chris by the way? :smt017 He started all this. :smt009

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:05 pm

image.png
I wonder if the " fruit box " had a metal plinth it would be called a "tinned fruit box." :smt017 ?
The Man says yes. :smt005
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

vincent

Post by vincent » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:57 pm

I've managed to have my LP12 built into a Stratos plinth, courtesy of Roger Hamilton and Audio T in Brighton. This took four hours on Saturday (could have been done quicker, but meticulous attention to detail by Roger and John meant that the deck was going nowhere until absolutely perfect).

Bad news for my finances :smt009 , after two day's listening, is that the Stratos is not just good. It's excellent. :smt020

I’ll wait until next week before making a final decision, but unless something very odd happens between now and then, I’ll be keeping it. :smt023

More information and detailed review to follow. In the meantime some photos (it looks stunning IMO, though I'm trying to ignore this in my musical evaluation :smt018 ).

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:18 pm

Looks yummy. :smt007
Nice clean a deep flutes treat yourself to some new albums with the savings and knowing it's a pedigree product. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:47 pm

*turns green with jealousy*
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:44 pm

Brilliant. If it sounds half as good as it looks then you're onto a winner.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:14 pm

image.jpeg
Definitely the best looking option for a full metal jacket.
The Tangerine looks too cold and grey but the TP has that old slightly purple tinge that Naim casework goes like after a while.
You can see the contrast with the armboard. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"

vincent

Post by vincent » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:54 am

evil_C wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:44 pm
Brilliant. If it sounds half as good as it looks then you're onto a winner.

As always it’s difficult to know precisely what psychological factors are involved in this kind of assessment. While listening I’m trying to avoid thinking that the improvements I'm hearing are entirely logical (the plinth is holding the turntable’s moving parts in an iron grip - nothing is moving inside the box that shouldn’t be - the result is more musical information getting through, etc).

Assuming this perceived effect is real, the big question is whether the Stratos'd LP12 is more musical in consequence. So far I think the answer is yes. But I'm not rushing to judgment. While some records sound unequivocally better in all respects, a relatively small minority sound just different. :smt017

Given more time to listen to a wider range of material, and to forget about the metal box in the corner of the room, I'll make the final decision. :roll:

FangfossFlyer

Post by FangfossFlyer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:58 am

Hi Vincent,

I like yout approach.

Very keen to read your findings as you find them.

Richard
Last edited by FangfossFlyer on Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the music's over, Turn out the lights"
Linn LP12-Naim-B&W

vincent

Post by vincent » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:51 pm

FangfossFlyer wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:58 am
Hi Vincent,

I like yout approach.

Very keen to read your findings as you find them.

Richarf

Thanks Richard (also Jim, James, & Evil C) - it's nice to know I'm not talking to myself. I aim to write up the whole experience at the end of the process. In the meantime more stream of consciousness:

Day 3 is going well for the Stratos, after a bit of a wobble at the end of Saturday when I was thinking that Led Zeppelin II did not sound quite as good as I thought it should (maybe too much red wine? :smt015 )

Just been listening to Steely Dan's Katy Lied (If I had my way I would move to another lifetime ... Any world that I wake up to is better ... than the one I come from. Throw back the little ones and pan fry the big ones, use tact poise and reason, and gently squeeze them ... etc).

This album has never sounded that great to me, certainly not compared with other Steely Dan (Aja, Gaucho), but this is definitely the best I've heard on my system. :smt020

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer