Kontroversial Komment.

You mean there's more to HiFi than a LP12?

Moderator: The Kurators

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Kontroversial Komment.

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:44 pm

image.jpeg
Not like LINN to need Bullet Proof boots but this advertising comment does them no favours.
I'm glad my Klimax LP12 has warmth and no clarity
But others Digital sources have clarity but no warmth.
Am I missing something. :smt017 :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Re: Kontroversial Komment.

Post by dan steel » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:01 pm

It’s probably something to do with Gilad :smt005
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:43 pm

I just don't get LINNs product and advertising policy these days. I am happy for EXAKT owners who can loose a box or two by using the Urika II but this seems to taking things too far
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Steven

Post by Steven » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:10 pm

They have lost the plot recently.

Anyone had a look at their recent vacancies ?

:roll:

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:38 pm

Looks like a company restructure. :oops:
All they really need is an orienteering expert or up to date Sat Nav. :smt005
They've certainly lost their way. :smt045
"Cymbiosis"

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:35 pm

I think the advert hits a mark that a lot of music lovers miss. A lot of music isn't available on vinyl which was the main reason I switched years back. So having the digital option I would think is a good thing for a music lover. You can also stream and play the radio through the digital streamer giving another two sources of music. Analogue systems are costly to run, compare the price of vinyl to a high res download. Plus you need to buy a new cartridge/stylus after so many hours use. There is also the warmth aspect of analogue which whilst I agree is nice and I miss but I've read comments by sound engineers who say it doesn't reflect the true sound where as digital does.
"Never has so much been lost by so many, to satisfy so few"

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:55 pm

If I've bought the Vinyl or the CD in physical format then barring accidents the quality should be very consistent.
But however being a mechanical interface or wear and tear both stylus and laser then it's up to the individual how they do or don't want to compromise.
Not owning such material always makes me wary what if the quality becomes inconsistent never mind the availability.
I don't buy the comment Vinyl is warmer it's much more than that.
I know many musicians and they're rarely even interested in hi fi all they want is an even balance on the mix and if playing live want it loud for atmosphere.
Lots of Vinyl I've got is from the original time and has not been made available or indeed affordable in other formats.
It's really horses for courses I play what I've got and if I didn't have that I would be starting from scratch like I did then.
I'm sure my grandad would scoff not turning a handle to echoes of it'll never be the same.
Enjoy what we have and not forsake all others in spite.
If vinyl dies on its arse then very well I can't buy any more but I'm not throwing the baby out with the bath water.
I tap my feed listening to my phone in mono in the dash hole in the car. :smt036
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:55 pm

Enjoy what you have - it's about the music and not the hardware. There is too much self justification in the HiFi world and fighting over which is the 'best' way to hear music. Opinions within a format whether it is Exact or vinyl or different download methods or whatever, differ on which kit is 'best'. In other words, how we all hear things is inherently subjective and there is no 'right' way.

Things change, and so have Linn. Vinyl will always be now a niche way to listen to music. The 'revival' is very small beer compared to the size of the digital market in all its myriad of methods to listen to music. That's just a fact. Doesn't make it the wrong way to listen to music or the right way.

To me, Linn are just doing what they think is right and what they need to do to survive and succeed in a changing world. There are not enough of us vinylistas around (and were not getting any younger either) for this purely analogue format be a big part of the company's future. Initially I didn't like this but now I'm truly not bothered by it anymore. Sure, it's a shame that they no longer support legacy gear like the KK'1 anymore (unlike Naim who still support all their old gear) but there are other people like Darren at Class A (and others) who can help on this front.

Us dinosaurs need to adapt as well and if we can do this we can still enjoy our vinyl and CD's until we turn up our toes ...... 8) Sure, I can't be bothered with Exact or whatever but others can and love what it does to their musical enjoyment. These guys (like Keith for instance) are our 'musical brothers' and not the enemy. I have loved some of his HU's and album recommendations that have come from him hearing them on his Exact system. And guess what, they sound great on my vinyl system. It's the music guys, its the MUSIC .................. :smt023
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:36 pm

Wenge1 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:55 pm
Enjoy what you have - it's about the music and not the hardware. There is too much self justification in the HiFi world and fighting over which is the 'best' way to hear music. Opinions within a format whether it is Exact or vinyl or different download methods or whatever, differ on which kit is 'best'. In other words, how we all hear things is inherently subjective and there is no 'right' way.

Things change, and so have Linn. Vinyl will always be now a niche way to listen to music. The 'revival' is very small beer compared to the size of the digital market in all its myriad of methods to listen to music. That's just a fact. Doesn't make it the wrong way to listen to music or the right way.

To me, Linn are just doing what they think is right and what they need to do to survive and succeed in a changing world. There are not enough of us vinylistas around (and were not getting any younger either) for this purely analogue format be a big part of the company's future. Initially I didn't like this but now I'm truly not bothered by it anymore. Sure, it's a shame that they no longer support legacy gear like the KK'1 anymore (unlike Naim who still support all their old gear) but there are other people like Darren at Class A (and others) who can help on this front.

Us dinosaurs need to adapt as well and if we can do this we can still enjoy our vinyl and CD's until we turn up our toes ...... 8) Sure, I can't be bothered with Exact or whatever but others can and love what it does to their musical enjoyment. These guys (like Keith for instance) are our 'musical brothers' and not the enemy. I have loved some of his HU's and album recommendations that have come from him hearing them on his Exact system. And guess what, they sound great on my vinyl system. It's the music guys, its the MUSIC .................. :smt023

Thank you, for me it's about the music and I do worry about the future. Musicians are now struggling to make a living and to most I know are really grateful for the support they get. If I had the money (and room) I would have both vinyl and digital mainly so that I could buy any music in the format it is available in. Lots of musicians cannot afford to press vinyl copies or they are limited to the number they can do. Jim has had to buy both vinyl and CD's from musicians at gigs for that reason. I'm happy that Linn are catering to both sources. They have taken digital a long way where as some haven't. I would be very, very frustrated if I couldn't buy an album because it wasn't available in vinyl. I want the musician to get the money from the sale and keep making money so they can carry on writing, recording and giving us pleasure listening.
"Never has so much been lost by so many, to satisfy so few"

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:28 pm

There's streamers and there's streamers, there's record decks and there's record decks and there are CD players and there are CD players. Some old fart's will cower over streaming some have crossed over some have both, some have vinyl cd or streaming only some have the lot. It's a matter of choice all sound great in their formats and they should do for the money they cost. I prefer vinyl and cd but I've heard Keith's set up before his upgrades and it sounded superb heaven knows how good it must sound like now. Linn has ceased production of CD players and Naim are down to just one. Both are producing great streamers and that's the way it's going. 8)
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer