New years resolution

Please do be polite and don't spill my beer

Moderator: The Kurators

Pediatrik

New years resolution

Post by Pediatrik » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:38 pm

I have never before made any new years resolutions, but after the unnatural warm weather this summer and autumn and the indisputable fact that it is a direct result from global warming, I have decided that flying is no more an option for me and my family. We have already stopped eating red meat (saves approx 900kg CO2/year/person and use our car at a minimum, but the fact that a return trip to fx Mallorca would waste 1000kg CO2/person, makes me realise that the biggest impact on the enviroment would be ditching flying permanently. It doesn’t mean we have to stop travelling. After all, there is often the option taking the ferry and train instead.

Some of you may say that a small change like this will be futile in the grand perspective. My neighbour may still be travelling anually to Thailand or mr Trump might open another coalmine. But if nobody tries to make a change, then the global warming eventually will make the lives for my children and future grandchildren a living hell. I guess this summer made me finally realise that the climate change is nothing that will happen in the future, but is something that has been happening for many years now and there will not be any Dr Snuggles that can make it all disappear.

This girl, Greta Thunberg, spells it out rather bluntly but all she tells is the truth. There is no looking back, it is now or never! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VFkQSGyeCWg
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Akurate EDSM, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

LD100

Re: New years resolution

Post by LD100 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:23 pm

Pediatrik wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:38 pm
Some of you may say that a small change like this will be futile in the grand perspective.

On the contrary, I applaud your efforts and agree that ultimately it falls to each of us to do our part. :smt023
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:54 pm

Likewise I applaud. :smt023
If all the little efforts add up then it becomes well worthwhile.
We do our bit here too recycling all our waste as well as making decisions about how to buy our groceries being carbon conscience avoiding especially coloured plastics and always preferring to buy in tins or glass instead " tastes better in glass too "
What kind of mentality only live for the now and be selfish Mmm unfortunately it seems the majority that are only interested in the instant gratification and convenience.
It can be turned round society has been so programmed not to think and be lead like dummies by the monopoly of short sighted manufacturers and politicians.
Controversially I see the global warming thing pretty much like a natural event in the planets cycle after all we've had all the tropical periods and the ice age all probably sparked by some great event or other but why be in a hurry to help it along.
I've always though of our world a bit like the cruel confines of a goldfish bowl it lives in its own polluted and self made environment with only the help of the better educated to realise that refreshment is a must.
So what's different now Stop pissing in our own bowl because there is nobody to fix it when it all goes bad. :smt009
Must dash that's the van with the men in white coats. :oops: :shock:
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:51 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:54 pm
<snip>
Controversially I see the global warming thing pretty much like a natural event in the planets cycle after all we've had all the tropical periods and the ice age all probably sparked by some great event or other but why be in a hurry to help it along.<snip>

I remember at Junior School being told the next Ice Age was on its way, but I agree, why encourage it to arrive.

As always there are loads of studies about fuel efficient transport, and you can make the figures say whet you want them to (eg are you comparing a Bugatti Veyron with one passenger against a full Airbus 380?) but by in large an aeroplane is more fuel efficient than a bus. That of course does not take into account that the aeroplane deposits its emissions higher up in the atmosphere.

Back on topic. Resolutions? Try and loose some weight is my annual promise to myself.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:53 pm

I believe the root cause of global warming, pollution, deforestation etc. is population growth. By 2025 the human population is forecast to reach 10 billion. Our poor little planet cannot cope with this level of demand for food, power, water. The Chinese had the right idea when the government imposed a one child policy.

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:23 pm

The Earth does indeed go through 'climate cycles' naturally. What is not natural is one species having such a dramatic and quick effect on carbon based deposits into the atmosphere .......... :roll: ......... unless of course you choose to ignore the actual measurements that have taken place ......... :smt018
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Wenge1 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:23 pm
The Earth does indeed go through 'climate cycles' naturally. What is not natural is one species having such a dramatic and quick effect on carbon based deposits into the atmosphere .......... :roll: ......... unless of course you choose to ignore the actual measurements that have taken place ......... :smt018

I guess this slide from NASA, says it all Adam...

:smt009
LP12, Cirkus, Kore, Trampolin 2, Lingo 2, Akito 1b, Adikt, Akurate EDSM, Klimax Exaktbox/2, Akurate 4200s, Keltiks, Silver ICs, Black K200s

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm

My NY resolution was to stop buying anymore vinyl and listen more to the stuff I've got. :shock:
Happy to say it lasted a day and I'm back on the vinyl trail. :smt023 xss29
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 pm

dan steel wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm
My NY resolution was to stop buying anymore vinyl and listen more to the stuff I've got. :shock:

A whole day? Isn't that your best ever? :lol:
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:04 pm

Mr Onion wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 pm
dan steel wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:39 pm

A whole day? Isn't that your best ever? :lol:

I started going....

None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer