HMV

Where would we be without the music?

Moderator: The Kurators

Scooter

HMV

Post by Scooter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:05 pm

You may have read today on another thread that I went to buy a CD in HMV but was unable to as they are no longer buying in new stock. I live in a small city, the closest big city is Liverpool where there are indie traders. This now leaves with me with the options of travelling there or buying off the river. I mainly download from Qobuz but not all bands are for sale on there and I still need to buy the CD’S. To me this looks like the river has won and there is no competition for buying CD’s other than the internet. Sad times.
"Never has so much been lost by so many, to satisfy so few"

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Re: HMV

Post by dan steel » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:15 pm

Shite isn’t Keith, if you need any indie stuff let me know and I’ll get you it in Liverpool. There are a few indie shops there now. 8)
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:17 pm

I agree. In the 'good old days' it was my first port of call, but latterly my local one became a see of noise and yoof and I haven't ventured there for years.

Other than a few 'dance' stores we are now bereft of bricks and mortar shops.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

LD100

Post by LD100 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:25 pm

Scooter wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:05 pm
To me this looks like the river has won and there is no competition for buying CD’s other than the internet. Sad times.

Indeed, the music industry has totally changed.

Once upon a time, I shopped at mom and pop record stores in and around Chicago. Alas, they all closed after stores like Circuit City and Best Buy undercut their prices. The last ten or more years have seen me purchase new albums, CDs, and SACDs through the internet from Music Direct (Chicago), Acoustic Sounds (Kansas), Elusive Disc(Indiana) and Eastwind Import (California). I am happy to say I have had a good music buying experience with all these companies.
The only problem arises when they are out of stock of the desired disc. Fortunately, if one is out, another shop usually has the item.

Not the same as rummaging through the record bins of LPs, but as I said, times have changed. :(
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:36 pm

LD100 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:25 pm
Scooter wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:05 pm
To me this looks like the river has won and there is no competition for buying CD’s other than the internet. Sad times.

Indeed, the music industry has totally changed.

Once upon a time, I shopped at mom and pop record stores in and around Chicago. Alas, they all closed after stores like Circuit City and Best Buy undercut their prices. The last ten or more years have seen me purchase new albums, CDs, and SACDs through the internet from Music Direct (Chicago), Acoustic Sounds (Kansas), Elusive Disc(Indiana) and Eastwind Import (California). I am happy to say I have had a good music buying experience with all these companies.
The only problem arises when they are out of stock of the desired disc. Fortunately, if one is out, another shop usually has the item.

Not the same as rummaging through the record bins of LPs, but as I said, times have changed. :(

I really used to enjoy going to the states as your record stores were huge plus a lot sold bootlegs which were hard to get over here. I noticed the change seven years ago when I struggled to find a record store in Manhattan. I did find one and it was really good but it was a struggle and I remember thinking times are changing. You're right it really isn't the same as rummaging in the record bins.
"Never has so much been lost by so many, to satisfy so few"

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:46 pm

My flicking through the album cover days ended when my fingers started to lock and it became very painful. 8)

LD100

Post by LD100 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:56 pm

dan steel wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:46 pm
My flicking through the album cover days ended when my fingers started to lock and it became very painful. 8)

I had a similar experience in my dealings with fair maidens...

Sorry, I'll get my coat.... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:29 pm

LD100 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:56 pm
dan steel wrote:

I had a similar experience in my dealings with fair maidens...

Sorry, I'll get my coat.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:30 pm

dan steel wrote:

I thought it was you're wallet that locked. :smt005
You know I'm joking. :shock: :oops: Dan Dan are you there. :cry:
"Cymbiosis"
Analogue Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Analogue Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers. 8) :smt023
Coyote Jim :wink:

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:34 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:30 pm
dan steel wrote:

I thought it was you're wallet that locked. :smt005
You know I'm joking. :shock: :oops: Dan Dan are you there. :cry:

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer