Bloody Marvellous

Everything relating to the ol' fruit box

Moderator: The Kurators

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Bloody Marvellous

Post by Wenge1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:28 pm

Well all of a sudden, mid track, I started to get distortion on both the left and right channel with my LP12. There is no problem with the cd player. so that takes out any issue with the speakers and power amp.

Since it is happening with both and left and right channels and this started at exactly the same time, it's very unlikely to be the cabling from the Urika to KK/1or the KK/1 itself. To confirm this I have swapped the cabling into a different 'source' input channel - still distorting.

That leaves the LP12 itself. You can imagine how i will feel if its the Krystal ............. :smt013

Any ideas?
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: Bloody Marvellous

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:32 pm

Wenge1 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:28 pm
Well all of a sudden, mid track, I started to get distortion on both the left and right channel with my LP12. There is no problem with the cd player. so that takes out any issue with the speakers and power amp.

Since it is happening with both and left and right channels and this started at exactly the same time, it's very unlikely to be the cabling from the Urika to KK/1or the KK/1 itself. To confirm this I have swapped the cabling into a different 'source' input channel - still distorting.

That leaves the LP12 itself. You can imagine how i will feel if its the Krystal ............. :smt013

Any ideas?

Hi Adam. :cry:
Indeed a sickener it does sound like a very dirty or damaged stylus tip.
A jewellers loupe should give you a good idea about the cleanliness it may just be crud buildup on the leading edge of the stylus " stubborn " .
Certainly hope it isn't a sign of anything else.
I know that gut feeling twice. :smt009
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Checked the stylus for fluff or other crud? (of course you have but just checking that you have checked)

Try powering down the Radikal and unplugging all 3 cables (mains + both PS) for 20 min than reconnect and power it back up again.

It would be unusual for both channels of a cart to go at the same time unless there was a power spike that got through to it.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:01 pm

Hope it’s an easy fix Adam. 8)
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:09 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:32 pm
Wenge1 wrote:

Any ideas?

A jewellers loupe should give you a good idea about the cleanliness it may just be crud buildup on the leading edge of the stylus " stubborn " .
Well I did try cleaning the the stylus when it happened but same issue - then i did just check it with a loupe and the stylus was 'grunged up' - embarrassing. There must habe been something on the crusaders album that stubbonly clung to the stylus.

Well I did try cleaning the the stylus when it happened but same issue - then i did just check it with a loupe and the stylus was 'grunged up' - embarrassing. There must have been something on the crusaders album that stubbornly clung to the stylus.
Started cleaning with soft brush, working my way up to the brush that you use. Still bits of grunge clinging on - had to resort to AT637 (an old stand by from yesteryear) short bursts - this has got rid of the just about all of the distortion.

Bit stumped now as to what to use to get the final traces of gunge off - the lyra cleaning fluid would do it but obviously that's out ..... :smt018

Anything else ??????
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:16 pm

Wenge1 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:09 pm
Coyote Jim wrote:
Wenge1 wrote:

Any ideas?

Well I did try cleaning the the stylus when it happened but same issue - then i did just check it with a loupe and the stylus was 'grunged up' - embarrassing. There must habe been something on the crusaders album that stubbonly clung to the stylus.

Well I did try cleaning the the stylus when it happened but same issue - then i did just check it with a loupe and the stylus was 'grunged up' - embarrassing. There must have been something on the crusaders album that stubbornly clung to the stylus.
Started cleaning with soft brush, working my way up to the brush that you use. Still bits of grunge clinging on - had to resort to AT637 (an old stand by from yesteryear) short bursts - this has got rid of the just about all of the distortion.

Bit stumped now as to what to use to get the final traces of gunge off - the lyra cleaning fluid would do it but obviously that's out ..... :smt018

Anything else ??????

Adam,
Without resorting to drastic " Fluid " :smt018
Small carbon fibre stylus brush carefully same path back to front many times until gleaming.
Finish with AT630 dry.
What a relief. :shock:
A little bit of work but the rewards. :wink: 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Green paper? If you haven't got any I'm sure Wayne will drop a bit in the post for you
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:24 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:16 pm
Wenge1 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:09 pm
Coyote Jim wrote:
Wenge1 wrote:

Any ideas?

Anything else ??????

Adam,
Without resorting to drastic " Fluid " :smt018
Small carbon fibre stylus brush carefully same path back to front many times until gleaming.
Finish with AT630 dry.
What a relief. :shock:
A little bit of work but the rewards. :wink: 8) :smt023

So gentle but persistent with the carbon fibre stylus brush with a short burst or two with AT it is then - might be awhile before its back to its gleaming state ............ :roll:

dCS Puccini CD Player

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:26 pm

Mr Onion wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:23 pm
Green paper? If you haven't got any I'm sure Wayne will drop a bit in the post for you

I have green paper but it just seems a rough method - I used to use it many moons ago with K18mkII - but bottled it with expensive MC's - do you use it James?

dCS Puccini CD Player

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:32 pm

Wenge1 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:26 pm
Mr Onion wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:23 pm

I have green paper but it just seems a rough method - I used to use it many moons ago with K18mkII - but bottled it with expensive MC's - do you use it James?

I've used it on everything since my K9 days and never had a problem. Just take it gently. I loose the arm from its rest, hold one edge of the 'paper' and gently touch the stylus dragging it from back to front several times.

I always have the amp vol on low so I can hear what I am doing.

Its not something I use every day, but its part of my 'things in a box to clean the stylus' collection
James

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer