Couple of interesting podcasts

Where would we be without the music?

Moderator: The Kurators

MHmusic

Couple of interesting podcasts

Post by MHmusic » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:44 pm

Hi,

Had a quiet spell lately music listening wise and limited mostly to glimpses of the new releases but I have been catching up on some audiobooks and some podcasts.

The two podcasts I would mention as perhaps listening to would be:

Song Exploder (apologies I originally posted this as Exploding Songs - doh, and thx to ‘Scooter’ for pointing this out. This is simply a guy chatting to one artist per podcast about one of their tracks in detail with the intention of analysing it and discussing the writing/recording etc. On some this will detail some of the key tracks within the mix and the why/effect/etc. which is the original point of the pod. It varies with each artist a depending on the skills/focus of the artist themselves. Some are a bit vague and ‘so far’ the bigger the artist the less specific I would say but there are loads of these and I have just scratched the surface. Very good list of artists, big and small. They are only short and at the end they play the whole track. Worth giving a few if these a listen if you like that sort of thing.

George Ezra and Friends. Not particularly a fan of his music but also gave this a go. The premise here is George chatting to an artist about being an artist and how they have gone about it, writing, recording, bands and touring etc etc. What makes this work seems to be that it is like listening in on two artists catching up over a beer. He seems to have a way of just getting the artist relaxed and sharing with someone that understands and this really works. The artists range from new to old of all different styles. Nile Rodgers, Lily Allen, Sigrid, etc etc. As an example I think in a 45 min session with Nile he probably only asked 5 questions or so and it was a fascinating listen. I have heard Nile talk about the Chic startup and Bernard a few times but this was the best. ‘Band logic’ getting the band started based on being a French, black, Roxy Music etc. Etc. And how that first song emerged.

Sorry I am rambling on while watching a toothless Spurs struggle against Newcastle (neither being my team). Highly recommend both of these.

Enjoy :)
Last edited by MHmusic on Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: Couple of interesting podcasts

Post by Coyote Jim » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:57 pm

Thanks for taking the time to share. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:20 pm

Certainly give them a go, always interested in getting musicians perspective. Can I clarify the name is it Song Exploder as I can't seem to find exploding song.
"Never has so much been lost by so many, to satisfy so few"

MHmusic

Post by MHmusic » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:08 pm

Scooter wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:20 pm
Certainly give them a go, always interested in getting musicians perspective. Can I clarify the name is it Song Exploder as I can't seem to find exploding song.

LOL - sorry, tha kind of defeated the point if me recommending it when I hit the flaming name wrong. So sorry.

Yes you are right it is Song Exploder.

As I said these are fairly short and very varied in terms of the perspective and detail but some of them have been very interesing. I have found both of them interesting. I will edit the original post so others aren’t confused.

Thx

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:22 pm

MHmusic wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:08 pm
Scooter wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:20 pm

LOL - sorry, tha kind of defeated the point if me recommending it when I hit the flaming name wrong. So sorry.

Yes you are right it is Song Exploder.

As I said these are fairly short and very varied in terms of the perspective and detail but some of them have been very interesing. I have found both of them interesting. I will edit the original post so others aren’t confused.

Thx

Understand this totally, I never noticed for ages that when I typed in Qobuz it it automatically changed it to Quboz. I got a few sarcastic comments on the other forum before realising what they were on about. Since moving into this century by buying an iPhone I’ve started downloading playlist off Qobuz onto it so I’ll give the podcasts a go.
"Never has so much been lost by so many, to satisfy so few"

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer