LP Flattening Service

Reviews I have carried out on products I have bought, or I have borrowed from the manufacturer/distributor.

Moderator: The Kurators

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

LP Flattening Service

Post by Mr Onion » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:44 am

Roller Coaster records. We have all had new LP's delivered that way, whereupon they are returned for replacement. But what if you find a Charity Shop rarity with a warp, or even worse one of your beloved LP's suddenly develops a warp? Well, this happened to the Diverse Records pressing of Dolly Varden "The Dumbest Magnets" that I have owned since its release.

magnets300.jpg

I have no idea why as its always been stored correctly in its rack and never exposed to heat/extreme sunlight. But for whatever the reason it became unplayable.

So what can be done?

Theres the old trick of sandwiching it between two sheets of glass and placing it in a low oven, but I have never been happy of that idea. Its all too easy to mess it up and end up with a blob of useless vinyl. You could of course buy one of the Record Flattening machines out there, but they cost well north of £1k. Not exactly economical, unless you have a shed load that need to be flattened. Now if you were a HiFi or Music business you could offer it as a reasonably priced service. Thats exactly what Analogue Seduction have decided to do with their ORB DF-01ia

ORB DF-01ia.jpg

How does it work?

Well, this is from Analogue Seductions website.
The Orb Disc Flattener uses a unique heating technique which is applied with two semiconductor heater films, one on the top and one on the bottom. By thermally controlling the heating-up phase and cooling-down phase, the warped record is allowed to properly relax and return to its original flat state.

The machine heats only the outer edge and centre of the record. The grooves are not heated and therefore their sonic shape is preserved.

The entire process takes four hours; two to heat up and two to cool down.
I like the idea of not heating the playing surface. That makes a lot of sense to me as a heated groove must change its profile.

How does this service work and how much does it cost?

Its between £3 and £4 an LP depending on quantity. Pretty good value in my opinion. You order and pay from the Analogue Seduction website then pack up your LP(s) and post them off with a copy of the invoice. They then carry out the service and return them to you placing the LP inside a new poly liner. Nice touch there. Obviously the turnround time depends on how many LP's you have sent and how many others they have in the queue. I just sent this one LP costing £4 + £1.99 return postage, it then took 7 days for it to arrive back. Like you I was dying to see what it looked like on the platter.

That looks flat to me, and indeed it is (trust me, the platter is turning) but the important thing is how does it sound and play. Well, its years since I could play this album, and the HiFi has gone through many many changes since then so I have nothing to compare it to. So, how does it sound compared to any other new recording? Well, it sounds like any other new recording. You would have no idea of its previous state and the process it has been through and thats the whole point. The record is now how it should be.

Conclusion

If you have one or more badly warped LP's this service is exactly what you need. Excellent value and great service from Analogue Seduction.

Transparency

This Analogue Seduction service was paid for by myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Re: LP Flattening Service

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:24 pm

image.jpeg
Great writeup and review James I think I'll be in the cupboard this weekend. :roll: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:24 pm
Image Great writeup and review James I think I'll be in the cupboard this weekend. :roll: :lol:
Normal weekend for you then Jim ....... :smt005
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

evil_C

Post by evil_C » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:11 pm

Excellent write up and a great service. Thanks. I think I too will have to have a look at the unplayables.

apye

Post by apye » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:24 pm

Thanks a lot James :smt023 , very useful info, write up and review.

Will have to give this service a try... :D
LP12/Ekos2/sKale/Krystal/Radikal/Keel/Tranquility, TP Vulkan, Naim CD5X, Naim 82/SC2/250 on Walnut Isoblue, Tellurium Q Black cables into Audiovector M3 Avantgarde Arreté Speakers.

dan steel
Queue Moderator

Post by dan steel » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:51 am

More VIM money... :smt023
None foreign parts LP12 - Naim CD - Naim Amplication - Kudos Speakers.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:57 am

dan steel wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:51 am
More VIM money... :smt023
... but think of the money saved from NOT having to replace them. That goes in the new record pot thus SAVING Vim money :smt023

HiFi Economics lesson 3 :lol:
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:47 pm

image.jpeg
There might be a slight delay with future orders. :oops:
"Cymbiosis"

Wenge1
Queue Moderator

Post by Wenge1 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:58 pm

Coyote Jim wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:47 pm
Image There might be a slight delay with future orders. :oops:
Blimy Jim !!! There must be some sort of story behind with you ending up with that many albums that need flattening.
Harban 'Wenge' Cymbiosis Signature LP12, Klimax Radikal / Urika, Karmen, Tranquility, Rubikon, Ekos SE, Skale, Krystal. Sarum Super Array IC's. Chord Signature speaker cable

dCS Puccini CD Player

KK/1(D), Klimax Twin (D), ProAc Response D2's

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:26 pm

Wenge1 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:58 pm
Coyote Jim wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:47 pm
Image There might be a slight delay with future orders. :oops:
Blimy Jim !!! There must be some sort of story behind with you ending up with that many albums that need flattening.
:smt005
It's only the ones that lean on the radiator that need sorted. :oops:

Bit of a gaffe really I've got about ten to go so it works out really worthwhile as I've been refunded for them all so they only cost me flattening and postage now.
One of them is £300 8) :smt023
image.jpeg
"Cymbiosis"

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer