Using longer leads from phono to preamp.

You mean there's more to HiFi than a LP12?

Moderator: The Kurators

wiltshireman

Using longer leads from phono to preamp.

Post by wiltshireman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:32 pm

I have just ripped everything out and have just re decorated my listening room and am giving some thought of lowering my tv. My Lp12 sits under it and so stops me from having it some 150mm (6 inches) lower. I realise it's a no-no when it comes to using a longer arm lead but I am thinking of moving my turntable and am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this. I have thought of putting the phonestage alongside my Lp12 and then having 2 mtr or so cables through to the preamp. My system is shown elsewhere on this site if you need to have a look. Thanks.
Linn Keltik system using newly serviced LK100's x4, LP12, Simon Price oak plinth, Lingo3, black Ittok with silver not black heavy weight, Linn T arm cable, DV 20XII + Infinity, Cirkus bearing, Arcam Rphono + russ Andrews power supply, Akurate DSII, Innios Zen mini server. Loads of Chord cables, a pair of Linn silvers.

LD100

Re: Using longer leads from phono to preamp.

Post by LD100 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:14 pm

wiltshireman wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:32 pm
I have thought of putting the phonestage alongside my Lp12 and then having 2 mtr or so cables through to the preamp.
Sounds fine to me...I use 1.25 meter myself, but if I had to I would not worry about another .75 meter.
If you have to go longer, that's the place, after the phono stage. :smt023

You realize you'll have to take new photographs and share them once you finish redecorating. :D
Original 1978 Fluted Afromosia LP12, Ekos 2, Lyra Kleos SL and lots of other stuff from the 70's that still work fine.

Coyote Jim
Site Moderator

Post by Coyote Jim » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:07 pm

Sounds like the best compromise as such all cables are best short but in the phono case it's better after its boosted.
Good idea now relax. 8) :smt023
"Cymbiosis"
Klimax LP12, Linn CD, Linn Amp, Kudos Speakers.
Coyote Jim :wink:

wiltshireman

Post by wiltshireman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:30 am

Hi. That's what I will probably do then. I hope to start getting stuff back in place tomorrow but it will take me a day or two to get back to listening. I am going to clean all contacts, even inside the x8 sockets on the wall that is my dedicated power supply and give any tlc everything might need. I might even take the basses off my speakers and see what I can do there. And yes of course I will take new pictures, it should all look very different when I am finished.
Linn Keltik system using newly serviced LK100's x4, LP12, Simon Price oak plinth, Lingo3, black Ittok with silver not black heavy weight, Linn T arm cable, DV 20XII + Infinity, Cirkus bearing, Arcam Rphono + russ Andrews power supply, Akurate DSII, Innios Zen mini server. Loads of Chord cables, a pair of Linn silvers.

Mr Onion
Site Moderator

Post by Mr Onion » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:49 am

I think the accepted "limit" for RCA/Phono cables is 10m or thereabouts so you'll have no problems with just a couple of meters.
James

Fluted Afro LP12, Khan, KEEL, Cirkus, Tranquillity, Urika, Radikal (with Allium Skin Mods), EKOS SE/1, sKale, DVXX-2mkII
Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear (upgraded) with Marigo Lab Aida CD Mat
NACish 72, NAPish 250, Kudos Super 20's

wiltshireman

Post by wiltshireman » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:55 pm

Just realised I never concluded this thread. I have ended up leaving my turntable where it was and moved my power amps instead using two 3 mtr rca cables. I have put pics on another thread if you want to see it as it stands but I wont put a 'finished' pic on until I have totally done, might take a week or two for this as I am rather busy at the mo. Been on my hols for most of September so not able to do anything during this time.

HiFi Kabin : Disclaimer